Home

Is it true that offensive line ratings do not matter?

This is a discussion on Is it true that offensive line ratings do not matter? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Is it true that offensive line ratings do not matter?

I have seen a number of people mention that the ratings of offensive lineman do not impact their performance. Is this true? I am quite sure it does not matter for simming games, if I remember correctly someone simmed a season where their whole offensive line was rated 12, and had regular statistics for rushing, passing, etc. I assume this to be true.

However, does it start to matter if you actually play the games? From what I have noticed, the lower rated of my two tackles has given up more sacks, but that could be a coincidence.

Any solid evidence that ratings do not matter if you are playing the games?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Is it true that offensive line ratings do not matter?

I would just stick to playing and enjoying the game as you are now. Posing this question will do nothing but bring about what will be a majority of negative responses(people saying they don't matter) that could result in you seeing an issue that you weren't before thus causing you to no longer enjoy the game as you were before.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 12-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I definitly notice a difference between good offensive linemen and bad offensive linemen.

Ryan Clady almost never ever gives up a sack, and I never have to worry about him. Plus, he works well in run blocking too. On the other side, my guards and sometimes my RT which are rated in the low 80's get beat a number of times. But overall, I have a good offensive line, and thats the only reason I'm able to run the ball. That and a good blocking TE in Daniel Graham.

So yes, I would say they matter. I've never simed with a line rated so poorly. But i can tell you, Ryan Clady wins the offensive linemen of the year a lot.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 16

to me Run Blocking and Pass Blocking numbers matter. Ik to most they do not.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Awareness, and the blocking foot and strength quality's really matter. Strength in itself is good too..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 55

OL ratings totally matter. I've manually pass rushed with James Harrison for many many games and against good OT's my success was severely hampered.

My Steeler OL has terrible AWR and PBF overall and therefore get torched by the blitz and finesse pass rushers like clockwork... much like real life. They excel moreso in the run.

In an online franchise I have an OG (Keith Urbik) who progressed to get 99 Run Block Strength. It is apparent when he's mauling people down the field. His lack in AWR and footwork are clear to when he misses blocks.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 12-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I played OF Season One with an OL with relatively low AWR and RBF/PBF. It mattered. The AWR allowed teams who changed their blitz angles up to get in consistently. It also created issues on pulls and PA plays.

The RBF/PBF clearly came into play vs. DL with high AGI and ACC ratings. A large enough disparity there and I knew I was going to be giving up the outside shoulder on pass plays, runs to the outside, etc.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

They matter in my offline franchise. I run with the Panthers and Ryan Kalil plays C on the OLine. He's a very good player for me but his strength is only average and it shows against big strong DTs. He has good games against smaller weaker DTs and then there's games against players like Jay Ratliff, Albert Haynesworth, Shaun Rogers, Vince Wilfork where i cant do much because he's getting pushed all the way back into the QB or there swimming right past him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »