Home

Madden 11 Announcing

This is a discussion on Madden 11 Announcing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Madden 11 Annoucning

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J
Seriously? Al Michaels was great! I just popped in M05, and Al just gets it...Tom Hammond does not. If you think bringing Al back wouldn't improve this game at all you are delusional.
LOL. I'm far from delusional.

I think you may have Al Michaels in real life confused with Al Michaels in Madden. Al Michaels in real life is great. Al Michaels in Madden sounded like a robot and was very much emotionless in many areas. Better than Hammond? Perhaps, but that's not much of a compliment.

Still, as I said before, the main issue is the scripting and coaching. You can hear some of the same problems in the old Madden's as you do today. Just changing announcers is not going to instantly fix that, and anyone who believes that just has no understanding at all of how this works. But it's strange to me that the real issue is being overlooked, because I'd think that after they keep adding new personalities and still have the same issues, folks would pick up on that and stop asking for new personalities and start asking for changes to what they're doing, but *shrugs*...

Now, you wanna talk about a guy who "get's it" then you want Brad Nessler. As far as football games go, I say he's the best ever. He sounds the same in the game as he does in real life. What EA needs to do is assign whatever process they used with Nessler to Madden, meaning Nessler himself plus the crew that recorded him. If the same crew that recorded Nessler also did Hammond and/or Michaels, then I suppose that when they did Michaels and Hammond they must've gotten a huge paycut right before going into the studio and just said, "screw this, let's just get it done and go home".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #42
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
LOL. I'm far from delusional.

I think you may have Al Michaels in real life confused with Al Michaels in Madden. Al Michaels in real life is great. Al Michaels in Madden sounded like a robot and was very much emotionless in many areas. Better than Hammond? Perhaps, but that's not much of a compliment.

Still, as I said before, the main issue is the scripting and coaching. You can hear some of the same problems in the old Madden's as you do today. Just changing announcers is not going to instantly fix that, and anyone who believes that just has no understanding at all of how this works. But it's strange to me that the real issue is being overlooked, because I'd think that after they keep adding new personalities and still have the same issues, folks would pick up on that and stop asking for new personalities and start asking for changes to what they're doing, but *shrugs*...

Now, you wanna talk about a guy who "get's it" then you want Brad Nessler. As far as football games go, I say he's the best ever. He sounds the same in the game as he does in real life. What EA needs to do is assign whatever process they used with Nessler to Madden, meaning Nessler himself plus the crew that recorded him. If the same crew that recorded Nessler also did Hammond and/or Michaels, then I suppose that when they did Michaels and Hammond they must've gotten a huge paycut right before going into the studio and just said, "screw this, let's just get it done and go home".
I'm sure scripting has something to do with it, but no amount of changes will make Hammond doable. He sounds so cheesy and fake.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #43
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
I'm sure scripting has something to do with it, but no amount of changes will make Hammond doable. He sounds so cheesy and fake.
and no, not doable in that way

Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
I agree that Hammond doesn't sound good. My comments are in no way meant to defend his overall weak performance. I'm not saying they shouldn't say goodbye to Hammond either. But I am saying that if they say goodbye to Hammond and don't change the process, then we'll be right back here complaining again (and they're valid complaints).

Out of respect for the Madden Team I won't repeat what I was told about what they do in regards to the script, but I will say that I was not happy with the answer. Hopefully, they will not only change that but also change the recording process. The fact that Nessler sounds so good and the recording and piecing of the recordings for Nessler are so much more crisp, at least gives us an in-house example that they are capable of doing better.

You can hear some spots where they did try to make some patchwork improvements to Hammond's commentary based on feedback. But the problem with patchworking (I know this well because I did it a lot when I edited music professionally) is that you're doing it with the same base of clips that were a problem in the first place, and often times you just can't band-aid it enough to make it sound right. I feel at this point, they have to start fresh.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Madden 11 Announcing

Collinsworth isn't that bad, he could work with the game.

The problem is the clip selection is far too small. As a sim player, I got hour long games to play and Collinsworth is repeating himself before halftime.

Hell last night, no joke....I got a holding penalty early in the 3rd quarter. After the VERY next play, Collinsworth sputtered how the game was great with NO penalties.....and then he said the EXACT same clip after the following play.

Ugh.

He can sound fluid though, just needs much more lines and a play by play guy that isn't awful. A 3rd color guy would be money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #46
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30

Collinsworth is awesome!

Hammond on the other hand...
PSN: xxplosive1984
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/os_scoobysnax/profile
Old 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 6

EA needs to take note of NBA 2K10 presention and commentary and imporove on it even more and I will be happy.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #48
MVP

mastershake88's Arena

OVR: 21

sounds good.
Decade of Excellence
FHS '06, UMBC,'13,CCBC '15 UMUC '15

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »