Home

joe montana passing mechanic or madden passing mechanic

This is a discussion on joe montana passing mechanic or madden passing mechanic within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: joe montana passing mechanic or madden passing mechanic

Whats sad is Madden's current commentary isn't much better than what was shown in the first post.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #66
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Whats sad is Madden's current commentary isn't much better than what was shown in the first post.
I was actually thinking the same thing...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #67
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
My issue with the RnL passing system is it seems way too user friendly.

You shouldn't be able to lead receivers that easily. You can lead them even if they aren't looking at you. While it's a fun game mechanic for a game, that's not exactly realistic...
It is infinitely more realistic then just hitting a button to pass to any receiver, anywhere on the field, at any time.

I've never played Fever (never owned either XBOX), and I don't think they did it quite right, but it's still better than what we have now.

If they just did away with receiver icons all together, and let you control where the ball will go by moving a cursor all over the field with the right stick, and then then just had a lob and a bullet button on the shoulder buttons a la FPS, it would be close to perfect.

To make it so it is not entirely based on user skills, just factor in accuracy into the cursor. Very accurate, ball goes almost exactly where the cursor is. Not so accurate, ball is off center by varying degrees. Do the same for a composure rating that would make the ball off center of the cursor to varying degrees depending on situation, ie flushed from the pocket, about to be hit, etc.

Voila. Easy peasy lol.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #68
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Yes, I'm a Vision Cone lover and I am proud.

Although many didn't realize the "hold LT and double tap receiver icon to pass" implementation. It disallowed QB's from looking right then throwing a strike clear across the field without actually "looking" that way.

Loved it.

It was the "use the right stick to control the cone" implementation that was absolutely dreadful.
Lol. Not a FPS player I take it?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #69
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
the awareness of the wr , te, or hb should be taken into account if they are not looking at the qb then there icon doesn't show until they do
I hear some people saying this, and for the life of me, I don't know why.

A good QB throws to receivers that are NOT looking at them or before they have even made their real move. Why would you want to not be able to throw to a receiver that isn't looking for the ball? By then, in many cases, it's too late.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #70
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
That mechanic was nice, but the problem was the terrible defensive back play in 2k. I love 2k, but maximum passing abused the limited coverage AI.

It's kind of like sprint in madden. It isn't bad, but the computer can't [won't?] sprint [for some unknown reason.] Maximum passing is nice, but because the defenders stopped playing the ball correctly, experianced maximum passers could eat up Ty Law with average QBs.

I hate how good some 2k players think they are because the defensive AI is terrible.

P.S. linebackers in Madden don't have a "40 inch verticle." Stop throwing bullets all the darn time.

I need to make one of these for Madden 10, but take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0HQV-k_CpQ

Look at the linebackers picking passes off, but only on bullet passes. He isn't leaping 40 inches. You are throwing the ball right at him.
You are half right. LBs do not have 40" verticals in Madden, yes, but the problem is not that people throw bullets all the time. The problem is that Madden thinks that it is not possible to throw a pass with any pace unless it only travels 5ft off the ground.

If it were possible to put arc on a pass and still have it travel at a high velocity, like in real life, in Madden, then there would be no issue. The problem comes from the fact that to get a pass over someone's head in the game, it usually travels so slow that they can still break up the play anyway.

Yes I know that you can hold down the button to varying degrees and get more variety on pass arc, but it still doesn't come close to real life. There are many passes that I would never attempt in Madden, because I know from experience not to, that in real life, an NFL QB would.

To be good at Madden you have to forget a lot of what you know about Football. THAT is the problem.

Last edited by Only1LT; 04-15-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #71
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
I agree... It's funny that people want the passing to be harder. You suggest taking away options to make it harder and they freak out. Even if it makes the game more realistic. I love the idea of the cone because in real life you can't see everything at the same time. Not even Payton Manning can (he has no idea if he's looking at the right sideline, that his WR on his left tripped off the line), and to that extent, I can see where the cone was flawed, but I agree that it can and should be done. Perhaps even a tighter and more behind view could do the same thing as what we're talking about, where you can't throw to a WR off screen. The D still gets to see the whole field, but the offence is somewhat handicaped in that they can't see everything... I think this is somewhat where Backbreaker is going and if it's like that, I like the idea of it. Not 1st person, but a tigher 3rd person view... Think more Resident Evil 5, less Call of Duty... Imagine if we had shooters that allowed us to see around walls... That's kind of what he have here with the high look of Madden.
Actually... we do lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »