Home

Intentional grounding?

This is a discussion on Intentional grounding? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Intentional grounding?

Is intentional grounding in Madden 10? Seems pretty often that I hit the QB and the ball just tumbles incomplete. No eligible receivers near by, QB is in the pocket.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Intentional grounding?

yeah it is. Try throwing a ball away immediately after snapping by clicking the R-stick. You'll get intentional grounding.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasensei
Is intentional grounding in Madden 10? Seems pretty often that I hit the QB and the ball just tumbles incomplete. No eligible receivers near by, QB is in the pocket.

I don't think that's intentional grounding in real life. If a QB was winding up to throw and then got crushed in the process, the arm goes forward, ball flutters out. Don't think that would draw a flag.

There IS intentional grounding, but it seems connected only to the use of R3 to throw the ball away. Do that from within the pocket, and you'll get called. You have to scramble out of the pocket to throw the ball away using R3 and not take a penalty.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Rookie

nolan887's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I don't think that's intentional grounding in real life. If a QB was winding up to throw and then got crushed in the process, the arm goes forward, ball flutters out. Don't think that would draw a flag.
You are correct. Its ruled an INC even if no receivers are nearby because the QB was getting hit. If the QB made that throw without being hit, it would be Intentional Grounding.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

There IS intentional grounding, but it seems connected only to the use of R3 to throw the ball away. Do that from within the pocket, and you'll get called. You have to scramble out of the pocket to throw the ball away using R3 and not take a penalty.
This is one of the many things I find frustrating about this game. I'm running two minute drill, the defense puts 8-9 guys in coverage and I can't find anyone open. I wanna just throw it out of bounds past the los and try another play. I hit r3 and get flagged, lose yardage to where I threw the ball and lose a down. Total bs. Ever hear of qbs just throwing it out of the back of the end zone?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I wanna just throw it out of bounds past the los and try another play. I hit r3 and get flagged, lose yardage to where I threw the ball and lose a down. Total bs. Ever hear of qbs just throwing it out of the back of the end zone?
The bolded part is correct though, if you are in the pocket you can't just throw it out of bounds if there are no receivers near you or it is intentional grounding.

Completely agree with throwing it out of the back of the end zone, I think the r3 should automatically trigger to throw it out of the back of the end zone inside the 10 or something...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well, if a QB gets hit and throws a bad pass, it's really a judgement call by the ref as to if it was thrown away intentionally or if it was the result of getting hit.

It's something that I've seen a lot, and I just figured one of them was bound to be called Intentional Grounding (ie. ruled that the QB threw the ball away to avoid a sack), but I just hadn't seen it yet.

I was mostly just curious if it was a possible call. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
The bolded part is correct though, if you are in the pocket you can't just throw it out of bounds if there are no receivers near you or it is intentional grounding.

Completely agree with throwing it out of the back of the end zone, I think the r3 should automatically trigger to throw it out of the back of the end zone inside the 10 or something...
if you have a receiver either running a streak pattern towards the endzone(inside 5 yard line) or are in the endzone, you can press up on the L-stick and press their corresponding receiver button for a bullet pass and you're QB will fire the ball out of the back of the endzone.

Not completely ideal, but it does work.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »