Home

Spectacular Catch rating?

This is a discussion on Spectacular Catch rating? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Spectacular Catch rating?

I remember 08 or 09 the spectacular catch thing was ridiculous so im glad they didn't put those unstoppable animations back in
Texas Longhorns!!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Actually irl, Braylon Edwards had like 6 or 8 drops this season. I saw the stat during the playoff game. Thats about half the drops he's had in previous seasons played.
I'm sorry dude, I saw him in his last game in the Dog Pound, I've seen him in Toronto AND in New York, and each of these games he's easily gotten more then 6 balls dropped... Some whide open with nothing in front of him but green. If you can get your hand on it, you can make the catch. If you don't, it's on you... Hell in one game against the Bills, the first one, Sanchez had like 4 picks, three of which were tipped off of his hands... The spectacular catching machine that was Braylon of a few years ago is gone... I haven't seen him make one catch this year that made me say "OH MY GOD!!!" with the exception of when he's missed easy ones, and the OMG wasn't being used as praise...
Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
I'm sorry dude, I saw him in his last game in the Dog Pound, I've seen him in Toronto AND in New York, and each of these games he's easily gotten more then 6 balls dropped... Some whide open with nothing in front of him but green. If you can get your hand on it, you can make the catch. If you don't, it's on you... Hell in one game against the Bills, the first one, Sanchez had like 4 picks, three of which were tipped off of his hands... The spectacular catching machine that was Braylon of a few years ago is gone... I haven't seen him make one catch this year that made me say "OH MY GOD!!!" with the exception of when he's missed easy ones, and the OMG wasn't being used as praise...
According to ©2010 by STATS LLC. http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playersta...d=7179&team=20

He was targeted 94 times this season had 4 drops, and he caught 48% of those targets.

Roy E. Williams: 86 targets, 8 drops, 44% caught.
Braylon Edwards: 94 targets, 4 drops, 48% caught.
Andre Johnson: 171 targets, 7 drops, 59% caught.
Wes Welker: 162 targets, 6 drops, 76% caught.

My MAIN MAN! ANDRE 3000 Johnson! Was targeted 171 times, dropped 7 balls, while catching 59% of his targets.
I'm sure glad I had Andre 3000 on my fantasy team lol.

This doesn't even have Braylon on the list for league leaders in dropped passes. He's not even tied for the 18th most drops in the AFC. http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.a...e=NFL&rank=232

So, I was wrong, he didn't have 6 or 8 drops, he had less than that lol. Who woulda thunk it.

Last edited by dfos81; 01-16-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
So, I was wrong, he didn't have 6 or 8 drops, he had less than that lol. Who woulda thunk it.
Depends on the definition of a "drop".

I know Madden must use a different definition because a "Drop" in madden is getting hit and the ball popping out. I don't think that's a "Drop" in the real game's stats.

To me, it's like "what's an error?" in baseball. It has a very subjective definition, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing in football.

Braylon had 4 drops. Were those passes that hit him square in the hands or the numbers? Does that include passes he got a hand on but couldn't bring back to his body? Does a failed catch have to be "of routine effort" (to borrow the definition of an error) in order to count as a drop?

To me, the bigger indicator is the percentage caught - but even then there's other factors. Was it not caught because of the defense? Because the ball was overthrown on a deep route (or underthrown even)?

Receiver stats are hard, at least for me, to really evaluate because we don't have the information as to why AJ only caught 60% of the balls thrown to him or why Braylon only caught 48%.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
I know some belive they shouldn't have to switch to make spectacular plays, but EA wants players to be rewarded for user stick skills, they've always been that way.
I'm one that believes that. Players should play to their ratings. If a WR has a 99 SPC rating, he should be trying many great catches if he can get near the ball and coming down with more than most others.

Same with the jumping rating - A WR should "rocket catch" or whatever the jargon is for it on his own if he's like Larry Fitzgerald and has 99 JMP. If players don't play to these ratings - why are they there?

Warner doesn't have to tell Fitzgerald (HEY, JUMP FOR THAT PASS!) why should we have to? It should be something he does on his own because he has the AWR and the skill set (JMP, SPC) to try to make that catch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
Banned

dfos81's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Depends on the definition of a "drop".

I know Madden must use a different definition because a "Drop" in madden is getting hit and the ball popping out. I don't think that's a "Drop" in the real game's stats.
I understand, but this guy was referring to real life numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
According to ©2010 by STATS LLC. http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playersta...d=7179&team=20

He was targeted 94 times this season had 4 drops, and he caught 48% of those targets.

Roy E. Williams: 86 targets, 8 drops, 44% caught.
Braylon Edwards: 94 targets, 4 drops, 48% caught.
Andre Johnson: 171 targets, 7 drops, 59% caught.
Wes Welker: 162 targets, 6 drops, 76% caught.

My MAIN MAN! ANDRE 3000 Johnson! Was targeted 171 times, dropped 7 balls, while catching 59% of his targets.
I'm sure glad I had Andre 3000 on my fantasy team lol.

This doesn't even have Braylon on the list for league leaders in dropped passes. He's not even tied for the 18th most drops in the AFC. http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.a...e=NFL&rank=232

Braylon doesn't drop as much as we thought he did, thats my point.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
Banned

dfos81's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I'm one that believes that. Players should play to their ratings. If a WR has a 99 SPC rating, he should be trying many great catches if he can get near the ball and coming down with more than most others.

Same with the jumping rating - A WR should "rocket catch" or whatever the jargon is for it on his own if he's like Larry Fitzgerald and has 99 JMP. If players don't play to these ratings - why are they there?

Warner doesn't have to tell Fitzgerald (HEY, JUMP FOR THAT PASS!) why should we have to? It should be something he does on his own because he has the AWR and the skill set (JMP, SPC) to try to make that catch.
BTW, I can get a ton of spectacular catches while using the Kurt Warner to Fitz combo, w/o switching/user catching on to Fitz.
So I think it comes down to not only the WR's catch ratings, but the Qb throwing the ball. I think the qbs throwing acc., STA, MTA, and DTA are things that are overlooked by some.
I would struggle much more so trying to get those same animations w/ the Sanchez to Edwards combo. Why, b/c Sanchez isn't rated as good as Kurt Warner.
The question of whether these players play to their ratings, or not, is a subjective question.

Last edited by dfos81; 01-16-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
BTW, I can get a ton of spectacular catches while using the Kurt Warner to Fitz combo, w/o switching/user catching on to Fitz.
So I think it comes down to not only the WR's catch ratings, but the Qb throwing the ball. I think the qbs throwing acc., STA, MTA, and DTA are things that are overlooked by some.
I would struggle much more so trying to get those same animations w/ the Sanchez to Edwards combo. Why, b/c Sanchez isn't rated as good as Kurt Warner.
The question of whether these players play to their ratings, or not, is a subjective question.

Do you mean SAC/MAC/DAC? I don't think I've seen STA/MTA/DTA?

Well - yeah, obviously it's subjective in a lot of cases. However, if a 99 SPC doesn't perform it as much as a 55 SPC - then it brings up the question (not saying that's true or not) - is the 99 playing to his rating? If not, then why? If it's QB - then that's fine, but shouldn't a 99 JMP and SPC WR at least *attempt* it? If he can't get it, then it's on the throw.

Now if they attempt the catch - say Sanchez to Fitz, and it's unsuccessful - then fine - Sanchez probably is to blame. Unless the ball is way off, though, would Fitz just watch it go by? If it was at a distance he felt he could maybe grab it - wouldn't he try? Does he try in the game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »