Home

A Thought About Making QB Awareness more impactful

This is a discussion on A Thought About Making QB Awareness more impactful within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
A Thought About Making QB Awareness more impactful

I love how they broke out the various accuracy ratings for the QB this year. I just drafted Jack English, and after playing with Hasselbeck (low DAC) there is a pronounced difference.

However, I think that you need to feel a difference when you a have an experienced Veteran QB versus an inexperienced talented QB.

Here is what I was thinking. I think a QB's AWR attribute should globally affect the entire offense. A QB with a 64 awareness, for example, shouldn't be aware enough to communicate properly. It should take him longer to call audibles, for example. He should never be able to make the amount of adjustments that a higher AWR QB can make. For the most part, if you have a dumb QB, you should have to stick with the play the coach calls. For all of you who love to play with highly talented, yet low AWR QB's, it should completely hamstring your audible game. It should affect the OLine when you try to slide protection. If you call one protection and then change it there ought to be a good chance of somebody coming unblocked.

Another thing it ought to affect is penalties. The team should experience more penalties with a dumber QB.

One last idea from me is that it should affect the WR's AWR, route-running, hands, etc.

For example, look at (and I know it was a college game) the difference that it made when Colt McCoy got knocked out of the National Championship game. Gilbert actually made some good throws that the receivers just couldn't bring in, even thought they were very catchable.

Basically, I would like to see a huge difference in how smoothly an offense runs when a smart QB is running it vs. when a dumb QB is running it. Because, right now if the QB is controlled by a human you may as well throw AWR out the window.

BTW, this isn't a wishlist item, since the game has the AWR concept already, I would just like to see it implemented better. I would like to know, in particular, what you guys think about how QB AWR is implemented.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: A Thought About Making QB Awareness more impactful

AWR is 100% meaningless when you control the QB...you may have issues passing long and on the run with a lower rated QB, but he will still feel more than adequate for the job.

I like your idea but, no offense, same basic concept has been thrown out there for a few years now. You would think EA would take some of the GREAT tips (yours included) and run with it....

There is a differance between Manning,Brady and BRees VS low rated overalls, but after some time you know how to "work around" their shortcomings....Should just be more to it.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
AWR is 100% meaningless when you control the QB...you may have issues passing long and on the run with a lower rated QB, but he will still feel more than adequate for the job.

There is a differance between Manning,Brady and BRees VS low rated overalls, but after some time you know how to "work around" their shortcomings....Should just be more to it.
Yeah, I figured it had been tossed around. I played three games today, and while I had some good games, it just got me thinking about how awesome it would be if they would just implement what they have going already. I love how they implemented the Pass Acc because with sliders you can really adjust it and make it realistic. I think my hum Pass Slider is either 7 or 12, so with Hasselbeck I really had to focus on the short and medium routes. Occasionally I would hit something down the field. However, since I drafted a new QB with higher Acc ratings, there was really no reason to play Hass. In real life Hasselbeck's experience would still make it difficult for a super talented rookie to beat him out. Especially if it is a WC system.

BTW, it really doesn't seem that difficult to implement an awareness penalty when using a inexperienced QB.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Rookie

Sounds like a good idea to me. Its at least worth a shot, they can always just make an option to turn it off like the vision cone.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 9

the next problem with awareness is that the progression system doesn't boost awareness that much. check out jack english in 10 years and he may still have awareness lower than 80...thus, low awareness is the reason for low QB overalls
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »