Home

Madden 11 - Expectations

This is a discussion on Madden 11 - Expectations within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Madden 11 - Expectations

This is not the same old Madden wish list most people post. This is a Madden 11 expectation thread. I've been playing Madden since 2001. In fact, the only version of Madden I never owned was 2005 (ESPN 2k5 got to me first). I'm not going to sit here and bash the Madden franchise as I'd rather be constructive.

Where to begin?

Franchise Mode

Franchise mode, the premiere feature of the Madden series. There's nothing like opening up a new version of Madden and starting up a franchise with your favorite team with all the new rookies and free agents your team recently acquired. With all the excitement of playing for your chance at the Lombardi trophy, you begin to notice something you've notice in all past versions of madden. Nearly every week feels the same. Not that there isn't anything happening, it's just Maddens way of showing you what happened is the problem.

Tom Brady tore his ACL in the 2008 season and everyone knew about it. It's all the outlets spoke about all year. Peyton Manning tears an ACL in Madden and you barely even noticed it unless you played the Colts that year. What the Franchise mode needs is freshness each week. Each week should be a new experience. Let me begin with some examples.

You pick up as the Philadelphia Eagles in the start of the 2010 season. Let's say you trade McNabb. The Madden game should have reports (ideally visual) about the impact that this could have on the season, and the wide receivers. By reports I mean I want to see and hear a reporter the way 2K5 would bring the halftime show. If you go on to win the Super Bowl, you should be reminded what a failure McNabb's decade has been and why the Kolb era is the next great thing.

Did you go 16-0? I want it to feel as huge as it would be in the NFL.
Did you win 5 straight Super Bowls? I want the 5th to feel fresher than the first 4.

I typically lose interest in Franchise mode after year 2. The road to the Super Bowl is quiet in Madden. To fix this we need breaking news in the Franchise hub. If I go 0-5 and end 11-5 I want to hear about how amazing it was I managed to make the playoffs. If I win the Super Bowl.. Tell me it's the first time in history it's happened.

For instance:
* Steve Berman: "After the Cowboys started the year off 0-5 no one would have ever expected them to end 11-5. Now they own the NFC East and are on their way to a play off game that 11 weeks ago we thought they would never be in."
* Steve Berman: "The Indianapolis Colts have gone 16-0. This is the 2nd time this is has ever happened in a 16 game season and only 1 of the 2 teams to accomplish this has won."
* Steve Berman: "The Detroit Lions own a 7-2 record. Have things finally turned around for the Lions?"

Report records broken, injured players, coaches fired, trades, everything. That's the only way to give each season a unique feeling

I'm sick of typing now. I'll post later on what else I feel we should expect.

Oh one more thing:
Madden 10 Glitches and Hiccups
I've seen glitches in my third year of franchises where it says "The Eagles have drafted in the first round 3 out of the last 5 times." Even though I traded and had 3 first round picks for that year.

I've signed free agents and traded them for first round picks. That should be fixed.

Commentary on the game makes me want to drive a screw driver into my forehead.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden 11 - Expectations

Great post...I think what you say would be appreciated by just about everyone.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 16

I think we should also have advance scouting reports for the upcoming weeks. Our scouting department would have scounting reports for there offense and defense. What plays they like to run and what % off the time the run it. There tenedcies on first down, how much a team blitzes, etc....

I am more of a strategy guy and I think if you could scout other teams you could go into a ball game with a game plan and that would make week to week feel different in my opinion because for example if I were on defense and my scouting report says that the jets run power to the right 28% off the time it would be very helpful.

Now im tired of typing
Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSmartForYou
This is not the same old Madden wish list most people post. This is a Madden 11 expectation thread. I've been playing Madden since 2001. In fact, the only version of Madden I never owned was 2005 (ESPN 2k5 got to me first). I'm not going to sit here and bash the Madden franchise as I'd rather be constructive.

Where to begin?

Franchise Mode

Franchise mode, the premiere feature of the Madden series. There's nothing like opening up a new version of Madden and starting up a franchise with your favorite team with all the new rookies and free agents your team recently acquired. With all the excitement of playing for your chance at the Lombardi trophy, you begin to notice something you've notice in all past versions of madden. Nearly every week feels the same. Not that there isn't anything happening, it's just Maddens way of showing you what happened is the problem.

Tom Brady tore his ACL in the 2008 season and everyone knew about it. It's all the outlets spoke about all year. Peyton Manning tears an ACL in Madden and you barely even noticed it unless you played the Colts that year. What the Franchise mode needs is freshness each week. Each week should be a new experience. Let me begin with some examples.

You pick up as the Philadelphia Eagles in the start of the 2010 season. Let's say you trade McNabb. The Madden game should have reports (ideally visual) about the impact that this could have on the season, and the wide receivers. By reports I mean I want to see and hear a reporter the way 2K5 would bring the halftime show. If you go on to win the Super Bowl, you should be reminded what a failure McNabb's decade has been and why the Kolb era is the next great thing.

Did you go 16-0? I want it to feel as huge as it would be in the NFL.
Did you win 5 straight Super Bowls? I want the 5th to feel fresher than the first 4.

I typically lose interest in Franchise mode after year 2. The road to the Super Bowl is quiet in Madden. To fix this we need breaking news in the Franchise hub. If I go 0-5 and end 11-5 I want to hear about how amazing it was I managed to make the playoffs. If I win the Super Bowl.. Tell me it's the first time in history it's happened.

For instance:
* Steve Berman: "After the Cowboys started the year off 0-5 no one would have ever expected them to end 11-5. Now they own the NFC East and are on their way to a play off game that 11 weeks ago we thought they would never be in."
* Steve Berman: "The Indianapolis Colts have gone 16-0. This is the 2nd time this is has ever happened in a 16 game season and only 1 of the 2 teams to accomplish this has won."
* Steve Berman: "The Detroit Lions own a 7-2 record. Have things finally turned around for the Lions?"

Report records broken, injured players, coaches fired, trades, everything. That's the only way to give each season a unique feeling

I'm sick of typing now. I'll post later on what else I feel we should expect.

Oh one more thing:
Madden 10 Glitches and Hiccups
I've seen glitches in my third year of franchises where it says "The Eagles have drafted in the first round 3 out of the last 5 times." Even though I traded and had 3 first round picks for that year.

I've signed free agents and traded them for first round picks. That should be fixed.

Commentary on the game makes me want to drive a screw driver into my forehead.
I agree with everything that you have said! There has to be a level of depth, that NFL 2K5 has shown for 6years now!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm hoping they add more features (CPU team trade logic, salary caps, pre-season option, etc.) and better stat tracking to the online franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Took the words right out of my mouth...err...fingers. Ian and the gang should really read this...
Old 01-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 2

who the hell is steve berman?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

Great post....I agree on all counts....However, i would be more than pleased if they dont touch anything and just focus on gameplay,gameplay and more gameplay......

Franchise needs a kick...But not at the expense of releasing Madden AGAIN with big gameplay issues only to have to wait for one or two patches to even play it and real enjoy it 3 months later (i shelved it til patch#2 was released as i felt it was UN-playable).

As far as presentation goes....If they didnt touch it for M11 i would be fine with that (i skip halftime show, extra point etc all the time) as many skip it after extended play anyway, but nice to have.

M11 should just build on M10...DONT add gimmicks...Dont ADD period unless it involves gameplay or QUALITY franchise additions (PRACTICE SQUAD...PRACTICE SQUAD)....

The last thing madden needs is gimmicks and additions that suck.

GAMEPLAY 1st folks...the rest can wait.

But the realist side of me thinks this.....EA wants to send M11 in a new direction. All signs point to an ARCADE approach and with M10 low sales, the suits want to sell more copies...Thus make it more universally appealing. I feel 'SIM' will be NON-existant as the casuals are top Targets.

I PRAY TO GOD i am 110% Wrong...I do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »