Home

Pass Pro: BOB, Full Slide, and Half Slide

This is a discussion on Pass Pro: BOB, Full Slide, and Half Slide within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Pass Pro: BOB, Full Slide, and Half Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It's so complex and so tactical, too much of this is likely to put off casuals. They do have to strike a balance and not intimidate newcomers, but there's room to make a very deep, very satisfying game, and I think Ian and Company are the guys to do it
I feel like this is where the issue lies. I know they have to keep it casual for the sake of newbies to the sports. also, I absolutely think Ian and the crew can pull it off just because of the lightyears of difference between Madden 09 and 10. But how long? 1, 2, 3 years??

I personally am a person that has never played a down..but i study the hell out of the sport itself and just easily get frustrated when i see stuff not happening fundamentaly. Anywho..what else can we work on? we've got the blocking concepts of BOB run and pass as well as some zone concepts..im okay with defensive packages..mainly the 3-4 because ive been watching New England for the past 10 seasons under Belichick..if i find the time ill throw something up.

last part of the rant..what are the chances Ian catches any of these 2 threads (this and the Run blocking one)

Xbox Live - SaveUs D2J
Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceZeroz
What else can we work on?
There's too many to name. Coverage concepts, option routes, route progression, wildcat concepts, run fits, formations, how plays can be run from multiple formations, special teams, etc. etc. etc.

Quote:
last part of the rant..what are the chances Ian catches any of these 2 threads (this and the Run blocking one)
100% he'll see them. I promise you that. How much of it gets used directly? That's up to him.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Good stuff!

And I think most, if not all of this can be hidden from the user. A casual fan wouldn't need to know any more about the blocking schemes then they care to know now.

If your game only considers the knowledge level of casual fans, your game is not sim. Madden will remain an arcade game in my mind until they acomplish this level of detail. This is football. Yes, it's complex. Deal with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Good stuff!
This is football. Yes, it's complex. Deal with it.

Xbox Live - SaveUs D2J
Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
And I think most, if not all of this can be hidden from the user. A casual fan wouldn't need to know any more about the blocking schemes then they care to know now.
Agreed, I think this can be mostly handled by the center's AWR, but allow the user to override that if he chooses too.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 55

I think they can make things complex while still playable for the casual fan. Don't see the issue with that. Like Adembroski said, maybe tie these OL reads into their AWR ratings.

Don't think it's a good enough excuse. We can have this.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

This and Svens post are very informative. In Sven's thread I posted an example where I felt madden was doing a poor representation of BOB pass blocking where a lb in the a-gap was passed off by the guard leading to an instant sack.

Both Adem and Sven essentially felt it was correct and that the problem was the rb should have picked up the blitzing lb. Well, I watched Pats/Ravens wildcard looking at the pass protection and sure enough, 1st qtr, Ray Lewis blitzes through the A-gap and is passed to Maroney who fails to make the block and Brady is sacked. Nice call Adem and Sven

My question is:

1. Can they program the RB to pick up the blitzers quicker before they head out on their routes like they do in the NFL?

2. Do you think this would upset casual gamers who call a play that shows the rb going to the flats and find the game has audibled his assignment and kept him in to block?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
This and Svens post are very informative. In Sven's thread I posted an example where I felt madden was doing a poor representation of BOB pass blocking where a lb in the a-gap was passed off by the guard leading to an instant sack.

Both Adem and Sven essentially felt it was correct and that the problem was the rb should have picked up the blitzing lb. Well, I watched Pats/Ravens wildcard looking at the pass protection and sure enough, 1st qtr, Ray Lewis blitzes through the A-gap and is passed to Maroney who fails to make the block and Brady is sacked. Nice call Adem and Sven

My question is:

1. Can they program the RB to pick up the blitzers quicker before they head out on their routes like they do in the NFL?

2. Do you think this would upset casual gamers who call a play that shows the rb going to the flats and find the game has audibled his assignment and kept him in to block?
see its stuff like that should fall into the hardcore or advance playcalling system it makes more sense for someone with that option to use than a casual gamer

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »