Home

Defensive Matchup exposed

This is a discussion on Defensive Matchup exposed within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Defensive Matchup exposed

I been getting tired of franchise after franchise where players that were suppose to get certain amount of tackles per game end up getting 2, 3, sometimes 0 w/ a few assists here and there.

Well, I been playing all sorts of different ways. Still wouldn't work. Any way you can imagine, I probably played that way.

So I started messing with defensive assignment. At first, I started matching up EVERYBODY. Bad idea. Stats were waaaay off. Plus my LB would play FS! Not a good thing.

So I matched up all the good players and players who were fast, i'm talking 97 speed or so. Still not a good idea.

Well, I finally think I got it. In one game, where I am 49ers and playing vs the Vikes, I matched up only Adrian Peterson w/ Patrick Willis. Willis ended up getting 15 tackles in that game!

Next game vs Cowboys. I matched up Austin Miles w/ Nate Clements and Marion Barber w/ Patrick Willis. Willis was the leading tackler w/ 12 in that game.

I find that if you match up more than 2 players, your stats will be off. any more and it will be way off.

Match up 1 player and you might get the stats you want.

Anybody tried this method? If not, try it and post your results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Defensive Matchup exposed

I haven't tried that but I will now. Clay Matthews is going to be a pimp.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

please let me know how it turned out. I believe everyone plays differently. I actually play unorthodox. I switch to DB and Safety sometimes and adjust LB accordingly to what the play shows ie, if Offense is running strong side, I will adjust LBs in that direction. When QB hikes the ball, I let CPU control movement until a pass or run is being played then I switch to that player and tackle.

I play weird.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 34

What happens when you use the defensive matchups, is that it screws up your defensive alignements.

Lets say you assign your FS to shadow a HB.

Well, what happens, is that your FS will line up as a linebacker, and your linebacker will be aligned as a FS...which is why you wont see the LB making any plays.

The reason is because he is now lined up 15 yards off of the damn line of scrimmage.

The only reason Patrick Willis did what he did, is because he is the fastest LB in the game.

If you did the same thing with virtually any other MLB/ILB...you would still see the same nonsense you always see, when you are aligned in man coverage.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 01-14-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
The only reason Patrick Willis did what he did, is because he is the fastest LB in the game.
I don't mean to belittle your point, because it's a valid one and I agree with you 100% overall, but Patrick Willis isn't even the fastest linebacker on his team, Manny Lawson is. Lawson is probably the fastest linebacker in the league (not sure).

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I don't mean to belittle your point, because it's a valid one and I agree with you 100% overall, but Patrick Willis isn't even the fastest linebacker on his team, Manny Lawson is. Lawson is probably the fastest linebacker in the league (not sure).
Fastest Inside Backer..mis-spoke slightly
Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharger
please let me know how it turned out. I believe everyone plays differently. I actually play unorthodox. I switch to DB and Safety sometimes and adjust LB accordingly to what the play shows ie, if Offense is running strong side, I will adjust LBs in that direction. When QB hikes the ball, I let CPU control movement until a pass or run is being played then I switch to that player and tackle.

I play weird.
I gave this a shot with Clay Matthews assigned to Matt Forte. He lit me up so much in the first quarter I had to go back to automatic and let Big Play Clay just do his thing. My tackle numbers were low but at least Matthews wasn't just focusing on Forte, he made plays in the passing game as well. I was hoping this worked better but I think Willis' speed had a lot to do with it. Matthews is quick but not that quick.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Must have changed in the last roster update.

I have Willis at 90 SPD (geez, he's faster than any of my WR on my Ravens team - and some HBs)

Lawson has 89 along with Thomas Howard. Sims has 88. Then seemingly every LB and his brother has either 84 or 85 SPD.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »