Home

Ultimate Team is the Ultimate Franchise mode.

This is a discussion on Ultimate Team is the Ultimate Franchise mode. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Ultimate Team is the Ultimate Franchise mode.

i have a question since i haven't tried it out yet.

couldn't you just put the game on all-madden 1 min quarters and run quick slants all game while super simming defense to rack up the coins? it still seems just like another money pit that i don't want to invest in, like contracts expire so you keepin pumpin out the cash...why couldn't we just have a decent franchise mode instead?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Rookie

WestTexasBest's Arena

OVR: 1

It's starting to get annoying to constantly hear the references about paying extra money I don't get it. It's not like they are forcing you to pay it, it's more of you just whining that you have to. Truth be told most of us would have spent that on a sack or some beers. It's five bucks and I know your going to say something like well I can't enjoy the game like someone who does pay for there team. I get that argument but honestly alot of us could have or should have spent the 60 bucks for the game on something else in the first place. You don't need video games to have fun and if you do thats ok too but don't be mad at someone cause they choose to pay for there team and you can't be mad at a company for comeing up with a pretty well thought out plan to make money. A company makes money thats there job its like being mad at the cow for making milk it just don't make sense.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

You got that metaphor wrong, it's not like being mad at the cow for making milk. We're the cows and our money's the milk. People who are mad at ea (not me) are mad because their nipples are getting constantly squeezed and they just want their damn nipples to be left alone for a lil while!
Texas Longhorns!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfansince81
i have a question since i haven't tried it out yet.

couldn't you just put the game on all-madden 1 min quarters and run quick slants all game while super simming defense to rack up the coins? it still seems just like another money pit that i don't want to invest in, like contracts expire so you keepin pumpin out the cash...why couldn't we just have a decent franchise mode instead?
You lose about 80% your coins if you super sim anything. Even one play. A penalty of around 300 coins. So anything you do will be negated.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasBest
It's starting to get annoying to constantly hear the references about paying extra money I don't get it. It's not like they are forcing you to pay it, it's more of you just whining that you have to. Truth be told most of us would have spent that on a sack or some beers. It's five bucks and I know your going to say something like well I can't enjoy the game like someone who does pay for there team. I get that argument but honestly alot of us could have or should have spent the 60 bucks for the game on something else in the first place. You don't need video games to have fun and if you do thats ok too but don't be mad at someone cause they choose to pay for there team and you can't be mad at a company for comeing up with a pretty well thought out plan to make money. A company makes money thats there job its like being mad at the cow for making milk it just don't make sense.
+1
Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasBest
You're missing the point. I would love to pay EA for this mode. It is fantastic and a lot of fun. But instead of letting us buy the DLC, or even pay a monthly or yearly subscription, EA has dorked up the strategic elements of the game. Buying cards with cash is not strategic. And since more coins are as simple as throwing a few more bucks to EA, these players are messing with the economy of the game. 500 coins takes me at least two games to acquire. Spending that on a player in an auction is a heavy price, becasue if the guy has 8 games left, the math doesn't justify the price.

Each game sees 25 players get charged one game off of their card. If you average 350 points a game, each player is responsible for 14 points. Obviously some players are more critical than others, but if players start costing significantly more than that, say 100 coins per game, it will drain your account of coins.

But the people in the auctions don't view the game this way, so they inflate the prices becasue 1500 coins is only 50 cents. So for five to ten bucks, they can ace out their team and have fun. But it's not strategic. You are just paying EA for letting you play random pubtards with your custom team.

That's not to say you cannot game the system. I did manage to score a Cedric Benson card in a late night auction for a little over 100 coins. After four games, I decided he wasn't a good fit for my team and auctioned off his last 5 games. Somebody paid me 800 coins for him. So I got a few games, and made a huge profit. But that's not really that fun.

And the games online are getting worse. They weren't too bad at first, but it is almost impossible to get games against 70-85 OVR teams. I'm not interested in playing the 90+ teams, as I'm not interested in getting my 72 OVR team pummeled. But even the more evenly ranked games are starting to become cheesefests.

Since EA has not provided anything but games vs the CPU and random public matches, I am now spending far too much time trying to build coins through the auctions, only to have crappy games against pubtards for my reward.

I'm bummed, becasue I love 95% of what EA has done with Ultimate Team. But monetizing it by selling packs of cards destroys the strategic elements that were in place. And by not allowing us to play friends with the teams we have created, they eliminated a way in which some of us would have enjoyed the game despite the dorked up game economy. Finally, they didn't create a system where I could track the stats of all the players that have come through my team. After a year of playing games, it would have been fun to go back through and see who your stars were.

But when it comes down to it, EA created a game in which paying customers have access to better players than the free customers. When you run the numbers, it becomes clear that gold players cost too much to actually spend coins on if you need to recoup in order to reload. So I can run a decent bronze/silver team, and be the lamb to be slaughtered by the kids that paid for higher rated teams.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like fun. If the game cost $20, or $5 a month, and they can get stats and games vs friends, I'm in. Spending hours tweaking a team up to a 76 OVR by flipping cards in the auction, only to play some pubtard that never punts and only does onside kicks with his 96 OVR team is not my idea of fun.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 01-15-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker
You're missing the point. I would love to pay EA for this mode. It is fantastic and a lot of fun. But instead of letting us buy the DLC, or even pay a monthly or yearly subscription, EA has dorked up the strategic elements of the game. Buying cards with cash is not strategic. And since more coins are as simple as throwing a few more bucks to EA, these players are messing with the economy of the game. 500 coins takes me at least two games to acquire. Spending that on a player in an auction is a heavy price, becasue if the guy has 8 games left, the math doesn't justify the price.

Each game sees 25 players get charged one game off of their card. If you average 350 points a game, each player is responsible for 14 points. Obviously some players are more critical than others, but if players start costing significantly more than that, say 100 coins per game, it will drain your account of coins.

But the people in the auctions don't view the game this way, so they inflate the prices becasue 1500 coins is only 50 cents. So for five to ten bucks, they can ace out their team and have fun. But it's not strategic. You are just paying EA for letting you play random pubtards with your custom team.

That's not to say you cannot game the system. I did manage to score a Cedric Benson card in a late night auction for a little over 100 coins. After four games, I decided he wasn't a good fit for my team and auctioned off his last 5 games. Somebody paid me 800 coins for him. So I got a few games, and made a huge profit. But that's not really that fun.

And the games online are getting worse. They weren't too bad at first, but it is almost impossible to get games against 70-85 OVR teams. I'm not interested in playing the 90+ teams, as I'm not interested in getting my 72 OVR team pummeled. But even the more evenly ranked games are starting to become cheesefests.

Since EA has not provided anything but games vs the CPU and random public matches, I am now spending far too much time trying to build coins through the auctions, only to have crappy games against pubtards for my reward.

I'm bummed, becasue I love 95% of what EA has done with Ultimate Team. But monetizing it by selling packs of cards destroys the strategic elements that were in place. And by not allowing us to play friends with the teams we have created, they eliminated a way in which some of us would have enjoyed the game despite the dorked up game economy. Finally, they didn't create a system where I could track the stats of all the players that have come through my team. After a year of playing games, it would have been fun to go back through and see who your stars were.

But when it comes down to it, EA created a game in which paying customers have access to better players than the free customers. When you run the numbers, it becomes clear that gold players cost too much to actually spend coins on if you need to recoup in order to reload. So I can run a decent bronze/silver team, and be the lamb to be slaughtered by the kids that paid for higher rated teams.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like fun. If the game cost $20, or $5 a month, and they can get stats and games vs friends, I'm in. Spending hours tweaking a team up to a 76 OVR by flipping cards in the auction, only to play some pubtard that never punts and only does onside kicks with his 96 OVR team is not my idea of fun.
I would've paid for this as DLC if it had friend v friend play and overall leaderboards at minimum. I agree with what you wrote.

Didn't you chuckle a bit once you realized how ridiculously easy it is to buy coins at any time, yet you can't play friends?! That pesky Y button is always ready to eat your money.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #16
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I would've paid for this as DLC if it had friend v friend play and overall leaderboards at minimum. I agree with what you wrote.

Didn't you chuckle a bit once you realized how ridiculously easy it is to buy coins at any time, yet you can't play friends?! That pesky Y button is always ready to eat your money.
I heard that it is very possible to play a friend. Just coordinate with him so that you both enter the match up screen at the same time. It may take a few tries but you'll eventually match up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »