Home

Gamasutra interview with Mark Turmell

This is a discussion on Gamasutra interview with Mark Turmell within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Gamasutra interview with Mark Turmell

Appealing to a "new crowd" in not encouraging unless they're trying to reach that crowd through the most authentic football experience ever.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

I don't know if any "casual gamers" would not enjoy a more realistic game of football. Just continue to make the game better and more people will play and enjoy it.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #19
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

The more I hear about Mark Turmell, the more I think about the "new take" on Madden. I can't help but wonder what it is. I don't care what Ian says. That's his job. He's not gonna come out and say "we're gonna be a little more arcade this year" because it would cause an uproar. Having said that, it looks like that's exactly where they're headed. As Adem said, responsiveness and accessible were words used a lot by Ortiz. What followed was an abomination called Madden 06. Madden has been an abomination ever since. True it has been less and less an abomination over the years, but still Well Madden 10 is pretty good, but 06-09 was horrible. Anyway, I'm no where near as stoked for 11 right now as I was for 10 at this same time last year. It could be the lack of info or it could be this Turmell and "new take" stuff or it could be a combination of both. Whatever it is, EA has there work cut out in swaying me back. Right now, I have Madden 06-09 on the brain and I can't get it out.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #20
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I like how he talks about some kid who can't figure out he's not controlling anyone. People complained about the red bullseye being an eye sore in madden 10 , wait till next year when you snap the ball and your qb starts glowing and you hear, "YOU ARE MANNING!!"
god forbid people who shouldn't be playing the game anyways can't figure out what their doing lol

my favorite madden was 06 but that was back when i had gamecube and not a next-gen system... i loved the storyline central and the training camp and player morale and it just had great features... the QB vision was ehhh but you could turn that off
Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
Simply putting in an arcade mode and a sim mode would eliminate alot of these problems..Right now I am very concerned about the direction Madden is going with this arcade driven leader on board..I am afraid that Madden 2010 might be the closest to sim that we will ever se from a Maden game...Its a shame because all serious gamers want is immersion..
Yeah just have a mode where all the pre snap stuff is disabled like slide protection, hot routes, etc and simplify the playbook down to just some of the basic formations and the game should be pretty easy to pickup for anyone who is familiar with the sport
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #22
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Had the following exchange with Ian over Twitter. Take it for what it's worth. I don't know whether or not I'll be as "in the loop" as I was last year (hell, I'm not even sure if there's gonna be a Community Day), but I don't think Ian would have addressed my statement if he didn't mean what he said.

Me- @ian_cummings I'm sorry, dude, but all these new guys at EA are talking the same lines that David Ortiz did. It is not heartening at all.

Ian- @adembroski a guy plays his first game of Madden prob throws 6 picks. A guy playing forever = breaks controller after AI bug. All big probs.

Ian- @adembroski difference with Turmell/me is that solution to those probs isn't a feature set. Smart football AI solves it all.

Ian- @adembroski we both know training drills or tests aren't the answer. Great football AI, great tuning, no bugs, high polish ... Those are.

Me- @ian_cummings I already know YOU get it. You sound like you're saying Turmell does too, so I'll trust you.

Ian- @adembroski definitely. He is a legend dude! SmashTV!!!

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #23
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Had the following exchange with Ian over Twitter. Take it for what it's worth. I don't know whether or not I'll be as "in the loop" as I was last year (hell, I'm not even sure if there's gonna be a Community Day), but I don't think Ian would have addressed my statement if he didn't mean what he said.

Me- @ian_cummings I'm sorry, dude, but all these new guys at EA are talking the same lines that David Ortiz did. It is not heartening at all.

Ian- @adembroski a guy plays his first game of Madden prob throws 6 picks. A guy playing forever = breaks controller after AI bug. All big probs.

Ian- @adembroski difference with Turmell/me is that solution to those probs isn't a feature set. Smart football AI solves it all.

Ian- @adembroski we both know training drills or tests aren't the answer. Great football AI, great tuning, no bugs, high polish ... Those are.

Me- @ian_cummings I already know YOU get it. You sound like you're saying Turmell does too, so I'll trust you.

Ian- @adembroski definitely. He is a legend dude! SmashTV!!!
I read that too, cool to see Ian knows we want Great football AI, great tuning, no bugs, high polish, etc. Now lets see these guys deliver the goods.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 16

I dunno. I don't like what im hearing so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »