Home

Gamasutra interview with Mark Turmell

This is a discussion on Gamasutra interview with Mark Turmell within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #33
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Gamasutra interview with Mark Turmell

Blitz the League is the closest a sports game has come to story drive / drama based franchise. I personally have great hopes that Mark was hired to help with immersion and the story driven aspect of Franchise gaming.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 7

i have been thinking for awhile now that they should make madden their arcade game and start over with a sim game and work out the CPU logic before even worrying about graphics i am tired of seeing the computer come out in a 4-3 defense against a 4 WR set or goalline or sending an all out blitz atleast once every possesion
Old 01-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 3

Growing up we had several football options to choose from. Sim/Arcade options were both available. Tecmo Bowl/Montana ProTalk/Madden/QB Club/FrontPage/Blitz/etc.

Point is, we had choices. We could pick the game we wanted that suited our needs. From beginner up to hard core sim. EA killed these options and hasn't really done a sufficient job of replacing them. Madden is sort of an unwieldy hybrid between the two but is probably more sim then arcade and is definitely not friendly to new players. I see their argument to want to bring more players in to the game, and make it easier but they shouldn't bastardized the current version to do that. It doesn't make sense to me at least. Make a separate game.

I started with Tecmo Bowl when I was probably 6 or so. Fairly easy, 8 plays on offense, 8 plays on defense. I played Tecmo Bowl up through Super Tecmo Bowl 3 where is became somewhat more complicated picking formations and different defensive packages. In between that I did try Madden 94. At the time, I remember thinking it was a hell of a lot more complicated with all the plays and formations and I think I shelved it for a while. If i were 9 now, trying to figure out Madden 10..I probably wouldn't bother unless I had someone sitting with me explaining what I was doing and why. But what other options are out there that are kid friendly that help teach the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #36
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Why not? The game's meant to be fun after all, and no one has fun when they lose.
I completely disagree with this. As long as it's not through massive AI cheats or glitchy gameplay, losing can be a pretty good feeling; it shows that you have a game with a decent engine that is going to challenge you, and make it worth your while to actually play vs. the CPU. On the flip side, nobody has fun when they win by cheesy exploits or braindead AI.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #37
Rookie

davjaffe's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
I completely disagree with this. As long as it's not through massive AI cheats or glitchy gameplay, losing can be a pretty good feeling; it shows that you have a game with a decent engine that is going to challenge you, and make it worth your while to actually play vs. the CPU. On the flip side, nobody has fun when they win by cheesy exploits or braindead AI.
Tell that to the clowns I somehow always end up facing in Ranked matches.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #38
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
I don't mind losing a game offline, or even online when it's a legit loss, but it never invokes a 'good feeling'. heh I'm just not built that way, and from the responses I have gotten online when winning, pretty much no one else gets a warm fuzzy from it either.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 2

this could be the downfall for MADDEN. why cant Madden immulate the same quality as MLB the show 10. the graphics in that game is amazing.

Mark Turmell obviously doesnt see what we see on SUNDAYS.
ARcade isnt football
Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #40
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles07live
this could be the downfall for MADDEN. why cant Madden immulate the same quality as MLB the show 10. the graphics in that game is amazing.

Mark Turmell obviously doesnt see what we see on SUNDAYS.
ARcade isnt football
Looks like someone hasn't read the blog over at EA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »