Home

I THINK SOME PPL ARE GOING A LITTLE TOO HARD ON THE DEVS

This is a discussion on I THINK SOME PPL ARE GOING A LITTLE TOO HARD ON THE DEVS within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: I THINK SOME PPL ARE GOING A LITTLE TOO HARD ON THE DEVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
PA is there, but it's only cosmetic right now, which I believe is what they said in the blog (unless I'm mis-remembering).

Did they promise better run blocking (which primarily means better 'pathing' to a block)? Or just better 'blocking' with regards to animations and releases?

Adaptive AI is in there, but you basically have to abuse a route, and then the CPU adapts. It has very real game impact from what I have seen, but it's definitely there. Personally I believe Adapative AI is currently limited. It needs to be both route, formation, and play based. Not just route based.

Can't speak towards the other stuff.
Some of the things like adaptive ai or improved blocking are debatable because they are more qualitative than quantitative but one that is cut and dried, the ability to edit ratings within franchise, was mentioned and was actually in several builds and for some reason taken out at the end. That is one of the most upsetting to me of the things they said would be in that in the end weren't
Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #50
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
In agree with TC and M10 was a huge step in the right direction...

BUT....

To FLAT out lie and then VANISH for 2 months for the reason of not wanting to hear negative stuff about a game AND own up to BS'in...That is where i have a HUGE issue.

Dont flat out lie...Just be str8 up.....I know the suits want the HYPE etc.....But there is a better way to do it.
Well SA1NT, for me...I'm not prepared to use the word "lied". But thats your opinion, and imo...you have a right to voice it.

But I do agree about the vanishing act. Imo...there should have at least been some kind of closure to the interaction. Rather than just bailing. That to me was a bit weak.

As far as whats written in the blogs etc...it'd be kinda sad if a person has to take the blogs with a gain of salt. Somehow that just doesn't seem right. Myself...I kinda thought there was a bit of a difference between the blogs, and normal hype releases. Maybe I was wrong. In closing I'd say...the EA Reps would be starting to go down a very slippery slope, if they announce features, improvements, etc....that they HOPE make it in the final. Without making sure people understand it's things they again...HOPE to add. The difference should have been made very clear. If not...then thats on the EA Reps.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 52

Just to respond officially.

I truly am sorry if people feel like we 'lied'. It's never our intent to create blogs as a way to trick people...that would do nothing for us but create mis-trust among our hardcore fans...in other words there is no reason to fake it and "hype" the community to increase sales because the amount of people we're talking to isn't that large. Development is always a spinning wheel, and sometimes things fall off or don't come together perfectly. We knew that all along that by publicly interacting we ran this risk, and it's unfortunate that some people feel that they were "duped" when our only goal all along was just to toss ideas out there and get feedback on how to make them better.

As for me/us disappearing, I'd like to clarify that I didn't really disappear from the community, I just chose to stop posting on OS. I've mentioned this before, but it was just too much of a personal toll. I put everything I had into M10, including constant 80-100+ hour weeks, so to visit a location where I just read nothing but negativity for that work just was ruining my personal life. I actually even let everyone know that statement in the supporter's forum figuring it would filter out. I continued to stay very active on Twitter so it's not like I tried to run and hide, I just chose to not expose myself to all the heat. Many folks may say I should have just sucked it up and had thicker skin...believe me I wish I could...but it just wasn't happening. I want more than anything to keep the interaction going, but I couldn't sacrifice my personal life and well-being to do so. The thing is, I don't want people to "change" on this site either. If you hate a game with every fiber of your being and want to discuss it with other sports game fans, then I don't want a developer being around to interfere with that - this site is amazing and a great place for people to discuss any number of topics. So in that respect I guess I disagree with the original post - if you aren't happy with the game, then I don't feel like it's really anyone's call to say "don't go too hard on the devs"...because hell that's your right as a consumer. But I guess that the moral of the story is that us developers living directly in the "lions den" was just not something that was really sustainable (or healthy).

We're continuing to try and find the best way to get helpful feedback from the community, and we'll keep everyone up to date through numerous locations (Twitter, blogs, etc) as we make improvements here. We blazed some trails last year and innovated in community interaction as much as we did in the game, and we want to continue to improve and blaze more trails.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #52
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

good stuff ian . no go away before the jackals come out.

also are you doing one of those moderated chats

Last edited by Hova57; 02-02-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #53
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

I feel for you guys at Tiburon, there's nothing worse than putting your all into something only to have people disrespect you and your work because something may not have lived up to their expectations...as if their expectations are the gold standard. It can be taxing on a person. It's too bad a select few had to ruin it for everyone....but if you'd be better suited to stay away from OS so you can have the wherewithal to keep being productive then so be it.

By the way, can you settle that disagreement I had earlier in this thread? I thought sure the NFL was the one who gave EA the tentative date for when they wanted the game released...not vice versa.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #54
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Slight potential?!? It happened with almost every blog. Procedural awareness, db coverage, run blocking, adaptive ai not to mention the custom stadium sounds. I also personally feel they lied about server side fixes to online franchise to add contracts and caps later on but that's just me.

If you gonna boast about this stuff, you better be able to at least back the majority of it up.
Agree to disagree. It may not be slight potential like I mentioned, but it's definately not almost every blog either.

It's just the one's that didn't hold true to you stuck out more than the one's that did make it in.

As I've explained previously, things happen during a project for whatever reason. Ian more or less confirmed that above.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #55
Pro

OVR: 14

Why should they change anything? I bought it this year for the first time in years and i can honestly say that I gave it play for like two weeks straight. And that was the end of that crap. But the game sells millions each year. So it caters to those people and for that very sound business reason, nothing significant will change. If 70% of the football fanatic target audience buy the game as is, why change it for the other 30%? Who cares if every deep pass in the game is caught by one "over the shoulder" animation. Who cares, if everything you see on Sunday is not in the game,,,ie..Refs actually throwing the flag during gameplay. Who cares if Madden introduces "new innovations" that have never been in a game before, that were actually in football games before...ie...chain gangs, and real time injuries. The bottom line is, if the game sells as is, why would they change the status quo?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #56
Banned

OVR: 1

in response to Ian and some ppl misunderstanding what im saying with my post...

im not saying we shouldnt complain if something isnt right, on the contrary i beleive in standing up for the things that we want as consumers we have the right to voice our issues with the product. my main point was that ppl cant see the light, the light being that the game not turning out with perfect ai animations and watever else you wanna add is not soley Ians fault, or an issue with his work ethic and his team work ethic as ive read on numerous posts ppl calling these guys out in very disrespectful ways. i think thats BS. like i said if you cannot see wat Ian and his team have done with M10 in comparison to previous iterations your blind. thats wat im saying rome wasnt built in a day neither will madden return to the glory days after years of mis handling by whoever. to the guy saying to compare not living up to expectations to my work place, your right to a certain point but the task these guys wer given, to repair this game it wasnt going to get done within the mans first game. im no EA fanboy nor am i here to defend these guys blindly, i hated madden and EA for ruining my football game. but after madden 10 i saw the leaps and bounds it has grown from previuos games. is madden up to par with my standards? no, but i trust that in a year or two ill be pround to buy a retail madden game new, and actually hold on to it longer than a couple months lol all im really saying is i know madden is in good hands, probably in better hands than its ever been in. jus tried to shed some light on some of these guys who arent being constructive with thier critism, but more on the lines of disrespectful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »