Home

Tips for Michael Bolt

This is a discussion on Tips for Michael Bolt within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Tips for Michael Bolt

I just started a Rams franchise since I have sliders and house rules making the game much more realistic (in the past I could win with any team vs. the CPU). Anyways, I simmed the first season and had the Michael Bolt draft class. With the 16th pick (how the Rams won 8 games in a simmed season is beyond me) I took Bolt. Now typically I only use pocket passers and have very good success. Bolt is obviously not a pocket passer, and I picked up Norv Turner to be my HC to help out. Curious if anyone has any tips for success, maybe a good playbook to use?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Tips for Michael Bolt

Ok, first game with Bolt in the books, Rams vs. Vikings. This guy is a lot of fun to play with.

Passing
13-21 137 yds 1 TD 1 INT 76.9 QB Rating (only one reception by a WR, nine were to my TE)

Rushing
10-184 yds 1 TD (on a 70 yard run)

All in all I had a blast playing this game, until the 4th quarter when he was sacked, fractured his hip and lost for the season. Awesome.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I don't have Michael Bolt (geez, 180 yds rushing? Yikes.) but Josh Johnson plays the same way (more of a scrambler than a passer).

I try to stay in there and look for my man, but if the pressure gets there, I'll move to some open space and then make a run/pass decision depending on how the defense (and my receivers) react to my movement.

It doesn't always have to be outside the tackles - sometimes if the DEs are pushing, and/or the DTs are taking a rush that vacates the middle. I'll look for a gap ahead of me in the d-line and try to beat the LB for some yards.

If I do get flushed outside the tackles then my decision is run/pass/throw away. Again depends on the defense (if they are in man and I don't see someone breaking free, chances are I'll take off, get what I can and get out of bounds) and how they react.

Scramblers are fun and can buy you some nice yards and 1st downs - but it does give you another decision to make.

Plays - of course any of the designed PA roll outs, especially if you have a good HB and they are starting to run blitz to stop him (just watch out for defenders that don't bite on the fake - you might have to take off running and run it like an option or throw it away ASAP - but try to see the routes because you might have a nice quick throw to a WR).

Shotgun can be intersting. The rush has to take longer to get to you, but it also stretches out the DE angles a bit. If the tackles are losing ground, sometimes this lets you slip out in the gap they made pushing upfield and you can then go back to your run/pass read.

If you do scramble/roll out - always try to roll out and have routes running to your QB's throwing side. This will let them throw on the run more effectively to get the ball out and the throw is shorter when he does turn it loose. I hit a play to AP like this. I was flushed out and the CB was coming up to stop me (he was playing flat zone) and AP slipped behind him and I hit him before the S could come help for a nice gain and a 1st down.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I got Bolt in my franchise, he's thrown for over 50,000 yards and rushed for over 10,000 yards in his career
Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Plays - of course any of the designed PA roll outs, especially if you have a good HB and they are starting to run blitz to stop him (just watch out for defenders that don't bite on the fake - you might have to take off running and run it like an option or throw it away ASAP - but try to see the routes because you might have a nice quick throw to a WR).
Thats why I tried the Titans playbook, the only problem is the running plays don't really fit Steven Jackson's running style. Any playbook ideas, I still have 15 games to suffer through with Marc Bulger before I decide.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Rookie

Victor Fox's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleIt5
Thats why I tried the Titans playbook, the only problem is the running plays don't really fit Steven Jackson's running style. Any playbook ideas, I still have 15 games to suffer through with Marc Bulger before I decide.
Carolina's playbook should suit you. Good mix of shotgun sets, a handful of waggle and rollout plays, and some good, inside the tackle runs.
The UCLA Bruins

And I'm moving to Chicago so...
The Green Bay Packers!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Rookie

I was thinking about the Carolina playbook as I also drafted a speedy back to complement Jackson. Obviously with Bolt out for the year and Bulger as my guy (although capable of game managing) I will have to lean on my ground game. Much appreciated.

By the way, good to see your move to Chicago, although transforming you into a flatlander, doesn't sway you to the dark side as a Bears fan. Go Pack Go.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowatipleaz
I got Bolt in my franchise, he's thrown for over 50,000 yards and rushed for over 10,000 yards in his career
Holy balls, how many seasons have you played? do you just sim all your games or actually play them?

#GoPackGo

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »