Home

Future Franchise Dilemma (Potential Spoiler)

This is a discussion on Future Franchise Dilemma (Potential Spoiler) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Future Franchise Dilemma (Potential Spoiler)

First let me start by saying I am stoked to be 0-5 with the Rams (new franchise, simmed the first season). Finally I have a set of house rules and sliders that allow me to lose.

Now the issue. My first pick was QB Michael Bolt, who as most of you know is the Vick clone with 97 SPD. I was having a pretty good first game with him until the 4th quarter when he was injured for the whole year. In the second game Marc Bulger threw 2 picks and I decided to check out free agency to pick up someone younger who I hated less. I picked up rookie QB Reginald Rainey. He is a 62 OVR C potential QB with 99 THP and 98 SAC. The rest of his ratings suck. Regardless, running a power offense with a lot of quick passes I am lighting it up. As of now he has 8 TDs and 3 picks in 3 games with a 67% completion percentage. My question is, keeping this as realistic to the NFL as possible, what do I do next season assuming he keeps this up? If I put together a 25+ TD year with around 10 picks and 3000+ yards, how can I not start him next year over Bolt?

This being Madden, I know he will never be better than a 79 OVR where as Bolt can become a 99 OVR, plus his SPD is sick. The only justification I have is Bolt has a larger contract, was a first round pick with the implication of a franchise QB, and if I finish with a poor record (which seems quite likely, again 0-5 so far). Again, assuming realism what would you guys do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
reo
Pro

reo's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Future Franchise Dilemma (Potential Spoiler)

Justify it by his record. Regardless, you can't move either. It wouldn't be realistic. See if Bolt wins the job in the preseason. If he doesn't, you have your answer. Statistics do not tell the whole story in Football. See Troy Aikman.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7

Factoring in realism, have a QB battle. Play with both quarterbacks and see who you like best, then ship the other off (see Jamarcus Russel).

Bolt might be a bit pricey if you let him go, and you won't get anything for the other guy because of his rating but there ya go.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Rookie

Agreed about stats. I really want to play Bolt, I drafted him to use his SPD and I know he can be a stud in the passing game given a few seasons. It will be hard to bench Rainey though. I just finished losing to the 49ers (now 0-6), and in 4 games Rainey is 94-134 (70%) 12 TDs, 3 INTs, and 1255 yards. Most games I am forced to try and come back late. I try to run a ball control offense but I only manage 3.8 YPC with Jackson as of now, and my defense is almost nonexistent. We'll see how the draft goes but I traded my 1st and 2nd plus Bartell for DeAndre Miles (B potential but 99 SPD, 99 ACC, 80 CTH). So frustrating to lose every game, but on the same hand its good to lose with the Rams.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hmmm, you could use both of them, in Madden a QB doesn't care if he only gets a few plays a game. You could use Bolt to run an option offense, basically him in the shotgun were he can make a quick throw or run with it. Rainey would then be your standard, under the center QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Realistically, you would be able to trade him after a hot season. Thats how its done in the NFL exhibit A is Matt Cassel, came in and did great with the pats and then they ship him off for a 2nd round pick. But with the whole progression/ratings mess you cannot do this in madden. His ratings should shoot up high, maybe to like 78 from a 62, if that kid has a great season, heck the madden team does it every year when they release a new madden why can't the same effect be had in franchise mode? Just another one of the things that i hope is adjusted for M11.

Last edited by Azcardinal32; 02-04-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azcardinal32
Realistically, you would be able to trade him after a hot season. Thats how its done in the NFL exhibit A is Matt Cassel, came in and did great with the pats and then they ship him off for a 2nd round pick. But with the whole progression/ratings mess you cannot do this in madden. His ratings should shoot up high, maybe to like 78 from a 62, if that kid has a great season, heck the madden team does it every year when they release a new madden why can't the same effect be had in franchise mode? Just another one of the things that i hope is adjusted for M11.
I see what you're saying, but with that type of progression, the type of progression that had been in past Maddens, any player could become "great", based on their OVR rating, which in real life just isnt true. I actually prefer this type of progression because every player cant be great. I just wish potential wasnt visible, because in real life no one knows who's gonna be good and how good they'll be. Thats the fun of it.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Rookie

I appreciate all the feedback. I might just split time between the two and make Bolt my shotgun QB like Jake125 suggested. As far as progression goes, I agree with RavensFan2k3, I like the potential I just wish we couldn't see it. That being said, progression shouldn't necessarily be linear, meaning a player shouldn't necessarily go up or down but rather a combination of both. Anyways, next year should be interesting since I clearly can pass well with this cat.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »