Home

The Main Problem with QB's in Madden

This is a discussion on The Main Problem with QB's in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: The Main Problem with QB's in Madden

I only play offline, so maybe you online guys can help me with this - if you play online, you are matching your skill against the other human player, right? Having variable ratings for the players on the team then would only mess things up, wouldn't it? Wouldn't human v. human be best played using equal teams/players? So, isn't it better for online that a skilled human can carve up a defense with Curtis Painter?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
I only play offline, so maybe you online guys can help me with this - if you play online, you are matching your skill against the other human player, right? Having variable ratings for the players on the team then would only mess things up, wouldn't it? Wouldn't human v. human be best played using equal teams/players? So, isn't it better for online that a skilled human can carve up a defense with Curtis Painter?
IMO I believe a highly skilled Madden player should make Painter look like Joe Flacco. A mid rate QB at best and only on a "good day".

There's no point to ratings if everything is on user skill, thus there's no point to Online Franchise mode because why would I care to upgrade at positions I'm skilled at as a player?

Then you get back into the "speed is the only thing that matters" argument, because that's something that the user can't control by skill.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #19
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Some people have different opinions of course, but I kind of like things where they are with distinguishing QBs. I think we as users could use more tools (directional pump fake anyone?) but I'm at the point where I don't want changes to the camera, a vision cone, or none of that superficial stuff.

I know the issue is that the user can have the stick skills to make lesser QBs better than what they are and I agree with that to an extent. But hey, if I'm wise enough to cater my gameplan to the strengths of my below average QB, I should be successful. By no means can I play the same way with Steven McGee (DAL 3rd stringer) as I do Tony Romo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
So as an example if your right side WR was running a post and the coverage is soft, you could throw hard and move the LS to the bottom left so the throw is low and inside?

You would just throw it with a push of the button and that's it?
I wish lead passing was more deliberate though, especially for the great QBs. Sometimes, it doesn't always work. I'll intentionally throw it behind the receiver in practice mode for the hell of it and it often doesn't go in that direction.

Thinking out loud, I could get use to a scenario where maybe the less accurate QBs have less control when it comes to lead passing. But reward the accurate ones with more control over ball placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
In APF2K8 you have to turn this on (enable/disable Max Passing), but you're saying this is on by default in Madden? If so, that might explain some of the problems I have been seeing. Ok, you win, I'll try it in practice and see what happens.
At the level in which you pick apart Madden, one would think you'd know every detail about the game LOL.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

2k's First Person Football with improvements.

The camera is part of the "video game" aspect of Madden versus the simulation aspect. I disagree with changing the camera view, however, I do agree with part of the OP. Part of the inharent problem with using poor QBs is that you, as a user, have more "information" than a real QB would have. You literally have eyes in the back of your head and a "full" view of the field. I am generally in favor of the superstar camera angle. I liked how in a a few prior madden games, in superstar mode when you played QB, you used the right thumb stick to move the camera around you like the QB vision cone moved.

Offensively I am totaly in favor of this view. The frustrating part is that we are dealing with EA who has a reputation of not doing a good job at implementing features. Heck, they have had good ideas in the past that just weren't done "right." I don't want to bash EA Sports, but seriously... is there much of a reason to have any faith in their ability to make a sound game? Too many bugs, glitches, exploits, and generally poor functionality for years.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
MVP

Molarmite's Arena

OVR: 13

Until three months later when everyone who plays Madden often will have figured out how to play with this view and we're back to square one. It needs to be something else changed, just haven't put my finger on it yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #22
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
At the level in which you pick apart Madden, one would think you'd know every detail about the game LOL.
I'm definitely no Madden expert, and I haven't really delved into things that I still consider fundamentally broken and/or lacking such as online play and the passing mechanics in this release of Madden. I believe I had read about it once awhile back, but I figured it was like APF2K8 and you had to turn it on. They definitely need to add the ability to toggle it on/off and it should be off by default. Yet another accessibility issue with the game.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
You don't use the left stick to put the ball where you want?

I feel like you are pulling my leg here....you can't be serious?

As soon as your right thumb makes contact with the button you move the LS to where you want the ball to go. You've never heard of this or used it?

So as an example if your right side WR was running a post and the coverage is soft, you could throw hard and move the LS to the bottom left so the throw is low and inside?

You would just throw it with a push of the button and that's it?

Sorry to say but if you haven't clued into this you are an average passer at best because you are missing out on what you could actually be doing.

I'll try and find you a video because I don't have any recording software.
The placement of the ball when using the left stick in madden is no where near as precise as 2k8. I actually felt like i was in control of where the ball went in 2k8, in madden it is extremely hit and miss, along with the awfull pass tragectory, which makes it impossible to even complete certain routes.

I think that because of the tragectory and placement issues the passing in madden has been watered down to very simple routes and angles, which makes every qb average. You just cant make the throws the elite qbs make in madden. In AP2k8 you could come much closer to replicating it.

If you dont quite get what im saying, go on youtube and look up a montage of any great qb, and when you see some great throws, ask yourself, could i ever do that in madden?

I hope that made sense, but that is why i think that there isnt much difference in qbs in this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »