Home

What makes Donny Moore a "ratings czar"?

This is a discussion on What makes Donny Moore a "ratings czar"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #33
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: What makes Donny Moore a "ratings czar"?

I have a problem with a ratings floor...there needs to be none...let 0 be the floor like it is in everything else...15 means he has some skill in the area and 0 means he has no skill what-so-ever...but either way if you put a punter on the o-line he should get killed no matter what
Old 02-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Interesting - but how would that would for setting a players PRC or BSH?

Does the NFL track enough stats that would accurately set this kind of rating?

Now for impacting player AI as in what they tend to do on the field - I could see it more (does the player go for the pick? Does he use swim or spin moves? Does the QB throw short or deep?) - even then, in football that is partly play call which is what we all have control over.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #35
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

I think that what other people say would make dynamic DNA easy, is what would screw it up...the small sample size. each game is a 16th of the season, so you could have massive ratings changes after 1 game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #36
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Interesting - but how would that would for setting a players PRC or BSH?
Watching film, Let me have some NFL Licensed game film, w/ the coaching cam, not the broadcast cam. I'll tell you how many times Dwight Freeny spins vs. bull rush or I'll tell you have fast Ray Lewis recongnizes and sniffs out a play.

Quote:
Does the NFL track enough stats that would accurately set this kind of rating?
Idk, if the guys at NBA Live can get NBA stats on all these categories http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthep...ic-dna-updates
I'm sure the NFL can provide something similar percentage wise.(throws left, throw right, scrambles left, scrambles right, escapes and throws ball away, etc.)
Still, even if they couldn't, all I would need is the NFL coaches tape. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Now for impacting player AI as in what they tend to do on the field - I could see it more (does the player go for the pick? Does he use swim or spin moves? Does the QB throw short or deep?) - even then, in football that is partly play call which is what we all have control over.
It would be great to see the A.I. playing to their DNA tendencies, I'm sure thats why so many people like NBA Live now.

All I'm saying is if Madden has all of these attributes but they are depending on us for updates/ratings suggestions, that just doesn't seem to be the best way of getting it done, its too subjective.

I could sit down and watch every NFL game, play by play, and go down a check list of things a qb, rb, wr, cb, Lbr, dt, de, etc. and what they could possibly do during any given play. Even blitz percentages, man, zone, etc. How many dropbacks a qb makes before being hit, sacked, intercepted, etc.
Its not impossible to do.

It would take some NFL licensed film to do so.
Maybe if I had John Madden's number on speed dial, I would do it, I think he has enough TVs lol.
Donny's job would be a dream come true for alot us football fanatics like me.

Last edited by dfos81; 02-09-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #37
Rookie

ennepetal's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchingcoach36
I think that what other people say would make dynamic DNA easy, is what would screw it up...the small sample size. each game is a 16th of the season, so you could have massive ratings changes after 1 game
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

Football simply doesn't have the same sort of measurables as basketball. There are too many variables and dynamics as to what is happening on any given play on a football field to treat it like the NBA.

I figure the Madden folk are aware of that or they'd likely have tried it by now.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #38
Banned

dfos81's Arena

We all understand that football and basketball have different measurables and are depicted w/ different ratings in the games.

Who says they can only look at game tape from 1 season? Unless they want to make that a game option/feature or thats all they have on a player.

I say the more games they have on a player the better or more accurate that players skills would be rated for sure. So get as much of that NFL licensed film as possible and getcha popcorn ready! lol.

Now I could see were some players(mainly the ones that have less game film, like rookies, 1st yr, 2nd yr players) getting major boosts. For ex. Miles Austin. He started w/ the original roster around 74 ovr. or so. Now, end of season, he's an 88 ovr!!!
Wow he progressed pretty dam fast, in 1 season didn't he.

So theres always an exception based on less game tape.

I'm not saying use DNA the same way NBA Live does(daily updates), its not the same sport, and the NBA has many more games. I'm pretty sure they could use some things(like the percentage a player fumbles, brk tackles, or goes down on 1st hit) from it to help depict better ratings/personalties players have though.
I wouldn't complain about a roster update weekly, based off of what they did irl. Combine that w/ some more signature mo-cap and WA LA! Lol, easy for me to say huh.

Last edited by dfos81; 02-09-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #39
Retar Crew

Antec's Arena

OVR: 12

I'm not so sure if it should be used for ratings, but I think team's gameplans and tendencies yes. It wouldn't work for ratings because even the best have a few bad games and that shouldn't hurt their ratings too much, especially for online play. Just because a team got blown out doesn't mean their players should all suck for a week in online matches.

However, they could use it for playcalls and such. They could update it every 2-4 weeks to make sure it's not too flukey.(like if a team goes down early they're going to have to pass more so best to have the updates wait a few weeks at a time for tendencies) Have stuff like how the team splits the carries, if the team locks onto 1-2 targets in the passing game or spreads the ball evenly, do they run it or pass in 3rd and short and how often, how often they blitz and how often in different downs and yardage, if the team goes for it often on 4th down, etc., etc, etc.

They could use last season as a starting point for the % and maybe try to predict for the first few weeks for new additions. Like if a team just signed/drafted a star HB then they may run it more next season so start them off higher than last.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #40
Banned

dfos81's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
I'm not so sure if it should be used for ratings, but I think team's gameplans and tendencies yes. It wouldn't work for ratings because even the best have a few bad games and that shouldn't hurt their ratings too much, especially for online play. Just because a team got blown out doesn't mean their players should all suck for a week in online matches.

However, they could use it for playcalls and such. They could update it every 2-4 weeks to make sure it's not too flukey.(like if a team goes down early they're going to have to pass more so best to have the updates wait a few weeks at a time for tendencies) Have stuff like how the team splits the carries, if the team locks onto 1-2 targets in the passing game or spreads the ball evenly, do they run it or pass in 3rd and short and how often, how often they blitz and how often in different downs and yardage, if the team goes for it often on 4th down, etc., etc, etc.

They could use last season as a starting point for the % and maybe try to predict for the first few weeks for new additions. Like if a team just signed/drafted a star HB then they may run it more next season so start them off higher than last.
Right, I got ya. Usually the best or the highest rated players have enough game tape(so its warranted b/c of what they did and the amount of times they did it) which means those percentages would be affected less by a few bad games, b/c they have more games input on their DNA. Like a career DNA rating.

Of course they could use it for coaching strategies and of course the more tape they have, the better, or more accurate those percentages become. They would still need to use logic as well, listen to coaches, and how they want to use certain players(ie. the new stud hb) going into the season.

Last edited by dfos81; 02-09-2010 at 01:52 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »