Home

Animations done right? EA devs take notes.

This is a discussion on Animations done right? EA devs take notes. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Animations done right? EA devs take notes.

WoW! I don't like baseball so I've never really seen The Show, Madden is so behind in the sports gaming genre as a whole. I do play the basketball games (NBA 2K) & I've heard a lot of good about EA's NHL along with FIFA it's seems that graphics, animation, game-play, commentary, basically the whole experience in all these other sports games are just ridiculously so far ahead of Madden & NCAA Football. It really just flat out sucks to be such a Football fanatic in the video game world right now.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 8

Breath Taking. No 1 moves robotic at all. I need a PS3 nooooooooow
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 55

That was incredible. I've never seen footage like that before. You know.. if I had a PS3 I'd probably be playing that game instead of Madden... wow.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple28Pedestrian
that is incredible, im speechless I wish I liked baseball
That's what I was thinking! I just don't care about any other sport other than football enough to buy the game. Although I did buy Fight Night 4 and really enjoyed it. The Show looks fantastic. I agree with this thread... the Madden player mechanics (i.e. running, cutting, throwing, etc) are just plain bad... especially their basic running animation. For the level of graphics Madden displays, the running is downright horrible.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
That was incredible. I've never seen footage like that before. You know.. if I had a PS3 I'd probably be playing that game instead of Madden... wow.
This is why i game on 3 systems. Each has its select strengths that are great.

PS3 - Has the Show
360 - Has its great controller & LIVE
PC - Great control for FPS and Great Flight Sims
Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

Yes, I completely agree with the OP and others commenting on this thread. I actually started a thread the other day talking about FIFA's locomotion system and also included a small video of The Show.

It really is frustrating as a Madden fan since 92', seeing how far behind Madden is from MLB the show, FIFA, and NHL etc....
Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Yes, it's great that Ian wrote that about The Show and says they set the bar high, but the fact of the matter is, is that Ian doesn't and Madden do not compete against The Show. It's like a fast food joint commenting on the quality of food at a 5 star restaurant. However, if The Show was a football game, Ian and Madden would be crapping their pants and he most likely wouldn't be putting up a post like that.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 27

The one big and very noticeable advantage The Show has in the animation department, is that their animation sequences are very long. They make sure the sequence goes long and doesn't come to an abrupt end during the scene.

What they do with post-play stuff is make sure there is a camera switch to another scene before the animation ends and it gives the illusion that the action is happening live. Madden attempts this too but you catch the animations ending and going back to the first sequence (running/jogging) which gives it that awkward robotic feel. Basically, the animation sequences need to be longer and the camera's need to mimic the actions of what broadcast teams do. The Show nails that entirely.

And of course, overall, The Show just moves exponentially better than any sports game ever made, and certainly better than any video game I've ever seen including BackBreaker, to the point that it's virtually indistinguisable from real life. Although, it must be noted that re-creating this in a football game is many times more difficult, and since there is such a lack of contact in Baseball it's far easier to pull off long pretty uninterrupted animations in a Baseball game. So I do understand the challenge Madden Team has trying get something as crisp as The Show during a play, but I would think the post-play and pre-play animations would be on par with The Show considering there is little or no contact going on at that point.

I don't know how the MLB Team does it with traditional Mocap and Poly's, but they're certainly pushing the limits of the process.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 02-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »