Home

Player Control In Madden

This is a discussion on Player Control In Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Much Player Control Do You Believe We Have In Madden
100% 0 0%
75% 6 27.27%
50% 10 45.45%
25% 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20
Player Control In Madden

fficeffice" />>>

How much control do you guys believe or feel we have…I don’t think we have enough…here’s my example of “TOTAL PLAYER CONTROL”…I’m playing MLB and the play I call is a MIKE BLITZ and I put myself in position about 3-5 inches from the LOS and when the ball is hiked I don’t move my player and he stays put…he doesn’t move at all…doesn’t flinch…that’s total player control…I say again…how much control do you guys believe or feel we have???Is it 100%...75%...50%...25%???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Player Control In Madden

I play on Very Slow, and I don't feel that I have any control of anything other than the movement & passing. Movements on the line, making a play on the ball, even catching the ball all feel extremely non-responsive and in scenarios such as the passing game, the player is constantly stuck in an animation even before I switch to the player.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I would say it's was just a very, very delayed control. It was there but I feel like in order to try and make a pick on a 10 yrd pass or less, I had to hit the button before the ball even left the qbs hand. On offense, you had to try the juke/spin 2 steps before the defense got there.

Even try to do the training camp drill or mini game or whatever it is where you play as a db. The computer controls the guy for you, all you have to do is hit triangle when you hear the pass released, lol.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I would say it's was just a very, very delayed control. It was there but I feel like in order to try and make a pick on a 10 yrd pass or less, I had to hit the button before the ball even left the qbs hand. On offense, you had to try the juke/spin 2 steps before the defense got there.
Exactly, and if the player had already begun an animation, then it couldn't break out of it (only the HB can do that when running it seems).

Plus, context is overriding user control. That's right, over riding it. Here's an example.

I was controlling a receiver one play, on a ball that was overthrown and a little off target. It was a deep pass, I had time to take control of the player, hit the RT button, and move towards the ball. I was a little short, and the game took control of the player (stealing it from me!) and had the receiver make an awkward fall forward grasping for the ball and eventually falling down. Granted, it looked great in the context, but, and this is a very big but, it took control away from me. The game should never steal control from the gamer.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Exactly, and if the player had already begun an animation, then it couldn't break out of it (only the HB can do that when running it seems).

Plus, context is overriding user control. That's right, over riding it. Here's an example.

I was controlling a receiver one play, on a ball that was overthrown and a little off target. It was a deep pass, I had time to take control of the player, hit the RT button, and move towards the ball. I was a little short, and the game took control of the player (stealing it from me!) and had the receiver make an awkward fall forward grasping for the ball and eventually falling down. Granted, it looked great in the context, but, and this is a very big but, it took control away from me. The game should never steal control from the gamer.
Especially when you talking about a game where your already only controlling 1 out of 11 players or less than 10% of your own team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

In my opinion, we have adequate control in Madden. I don't feel like I have any less control in this game as compared to any other football games. I do desire more control as far as lead passing, but that's about it.

I'd be careful in this area anyway. To give players more control, you often sacrifice physics and realism. One of NCAA 09's biggest features was more control. What did it give us? The ability to juke from side to side and spin at will, and most sim gamers hated it.

Last edited by RGiles36; 02-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
The ability to juke from side to side and spin at will, and most sim gamers hated it.
This is (partly) why I don't feel there should be 100% control.

Real players don't have 100% control either. Like that play Valdarez mentioned, if a WR gets off balance trying to stretch for a pass, why should the user be able to make the catch then "override" the off balance by making a move.

Another example, I control AP, I'm getting hit by the CPU LB, as I'm falling backwards, I see the whole animation sequence change (literally, you could see it happening) and instead of getting planted like I should have, I end up getting more yards.

Real life AP can't do that. Physics wouldn't allow it. But because I "control" him, I was able to. Not realistic.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
In my opinion, we have adequate control in Madden. I don't feel like I have any less control in this game as compared to any other football games. I do desire more control as far as lead passing, but that's about it.

I'd be careful in this area anyway. Too give players more control, you often sacrifice physics and realism. One of NCAA 09's biggest features was more control. What did it give us? The ability to juke from side to side and spin at will, and most sim gamers hated it.
It's no where near the responsiveness you have in APF2K8. Perhaps it would be better if there was a transition from the animation you are in to the animation of the button you pressed, but many times the animation that should fire for the button you pressed never occurs (especially in reception situations, whether playing as the DB or the Receiver). I agree that you don't want to sacrifice realism, but at he same time it still needs to 'respond', and the game should never steal control from the gamer per the example I provided.

Players who play on fast probably won't notice the delay, players who play on Slow/Very Slow are more likely to notice the delay.

Last edited by Valdarez; 02-11-2010 at 02:40 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »