Home

Defensive Playbook Suggestions

This is a discussion on Defensive Playbook Suggestions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Defensive Playbook Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
The New England playbook has the straight 1-5-5 and the 1-5-5 Creep, where all the players are standing up and moving around before the snap. I personally don't like it, because it doesn't confuse the OL like it should.
I think this idea officially failed. After making the switch to NE's book I used the 1-5-5 and 1-5-5 Creep for about 75% of the plays and had odd results. I shut down the Steeler's ground game only to have Big Ben's first incompletion come as an interception on his 17th attempt. He finished the game 31 of 34 with 400+ yards 4 TDs and 1 INT. Next game was the Cardinals where Warner (year 3 still not retired) lit me up. Wells ran well too so there is no reason to keep this up.

The main reason I wanted to try this is because my LBs are all fast with solid PMV, FMV, and BSH. I figured that combination of ratings would wreck havoc on the CPU. It turns out I either am not ready personnel wise (highly possible) or the 1-5-5 does not work as a base defense. Either way, back to the NYJ book so I can have the 3-4 and 4-6 as well as the 1-5-5.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

I tend to use a lot of zone defense and I love the cover 2 formation. Is the "Cover 2" playbook the best here or does any team has one with a lot of these plays in it?

I play with the Cowboys with DeMarcus Ware and Victor Butler as defensive ends with Igor Olshansky and Jay Ratliff in the middle. Keith Brookins is ROLB, Anthony Spencer is LOLB and Bradie James has the middle. Jason Williams is in at MLB in dime formations.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
Rookie

Blackout863's Arena

OVR: 14

The 1-5-5 is a bit cheesy and no team runs it as a base D. Its a package some teams use to get alot of athleticism on the feild and get a lot of confusion and pressure. Realistically if a team did this every play the Owould just run the ball every down because those big O lineman would blow the linebackers up.

The packers D is best ran in a multi d playbook. Take advantage of their versatility.

In the 3-4: with raji at nt pluggin up the middle for the run, switch kampman down to de n let him rush n occasionally drop back. Man up your cb and if you really got good stix skills put woodson at fs. Also blitz from odd angles n from diffrent spots even bring a safety up.

In the 4-3 : put kampman at de, raji,jenkinsn picket in interchangable roles and let your backups spell them. Also man up in secondary n at least a safety deep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout863
The 1-5-5 is a bit cheesy and no team runs it as a base D. Its a package some teams use to get alot of athleticism on the feild and get a lot of confusion and pressure. Realistically if a team did this every play the Owould just run the ball every down because those big O lineman would blow the linebackers up.

The packers D is best ran in a multi d playbook. Take advantage of their versatility.

In the 3-4: with raji at nt pluggin up the middle for the run, switch kampman down to de n let him rush n occasionally drop back. Man up your cb and if you really got good stix skills put woodson at fs. Also blitz from odd angles n from diffrent spots even bring a safety up.

In the 4-3 : put kampman at de, raji,jenkinsn picket in interchangable roles and let your backups spell them. Also man up in secondary n at least a safety deep.
the 1-5-5 this year stops the run as well as Dime did in past editions. It's frutrating, yes, because the OL should be able to absolutely man-handle even good LBs.

However, I'm not convinced it's cheese because there are still plenty of ways to beat it.

By the way, the Pats run something similar on 3rd down, but definitely nobody would use that as a base D...

• PSN ID: MaddenDew

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »