Home

Highlight Stick Timing......

This is a discussion on Highlight Stick Timing...... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Highlight Stick Timing......

Today, while the servers were down, I went into the Virtual Training room to work on my running "stick" skills. I found it interesting to try to figure out why the computer wanted me to push a certain button at a particular time. Sometimes with a defender running str8 at me, it told me to push X, other times it told me to juke. Is there really a method to the madness, or is it all about timing???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Highlight Stick Timing......

is this a stupid question or something, or is it that no one knows?? i ask questions on here all the time never to get a response. kind of pointless for a forum. oh well. i've played against some really good players that ran the ball well and was just wondering what was the key to running and if it was related to how the virtual trainer selects which buttons to push.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

you got no answers because your question is much too vague

basically spinning, juking, back-juking, stiff-arming, jumping, diving, protecting the ball, trucking... they all have their time and place, and obviously timing is important.

it TOTALLY depends on the back your using and the opponent you're going against. There's ratings that determine the chance of certain outcomes in-game. If it's Jacobs vs a CB, hit stick. If it's Bush vs a DE, juke to maintain direction, spin to change direction.

the "secret" is to know your personnel and the situation and make a decision on the fly and hope it works out, if not learn from it and try something different.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 02-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
you got no answers because your question is much too vague

basically spinning, juking, back-juking, stiff-arming, jumping, diving, protecting the ball, trucking... they all have their time and place, and obviously timing is important.

it TOTALLY depends on the back your using and the opponent you're going against. There's ratings that determine the chance of certain outcomes in-game. If it's Jacobs vs a CB, hit stick. If it's Bush vs a DE, juke to maintain direction, spin to change direction.

the "secret" is to know your personnel and the situation and make a decision on the fly and hope it works out, if not learn from it and try something different.
This. Not a better answer you could ask for.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrey
Today, while the servers were down, I went into the Virtual Training room to work on my running "stick" skills. I found it interesting to try to figure out why the computer wanted me to push a certain button at a particular time. Sometimes with a defender running str8 at me, it told me to push X, other times it told me to juke. Is there really a method to the madness, or is it all about timing???
The funny thing is timing means NOTHING in virtual trainer. Try it yourself, there is about one full second for you to press the correct button to break the tackle in VT. You can perform the action very late or very early, as long as it is done before engaging the defender.

The problem I have is, you can juke directly into the defender, and as long as you hit the correct button, you will break the tackle. Postion means nothing! You can spin directly into the defender and he will slide off.

Last edited by bang911; 02-21-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrey
is this a stupid question or something, or is it that no one knows?? i ask questions on here all the time never to get a response. kind of pointless for a forum. oh well. i've played against some really good players that ran the ball well and was just wondering what was the key to running and if it was related to how the virtual trainer selects which buttons to push.
One tip I had learned from VT was to keep tapping the stiff arm button constantly when getting tackled, sometimes the stiff arm animation will kick in after engaging the defender. Also, while performing a stiff arm, usually no other defenders will join in on the tackle.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
The funny thing is timing means NOTHING in virtual trainer. Try it yourself, there is about one full second for you to press the correct button to break the tackle in VT. You can perform the action very late or very early, as long as it is done before engaging the defender.

The problem I have is, you can juke directly into the defender, and as long as you hit the correct button, you will break the tackle. Postion means nothing! You can spin directly into the defender and he will slide off.
I agree. The virtual trainer is good for nothing except teaching you what buttons do what. It is not very good for teaching you how to apply the moves into a match
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 55

A lot of moves work better when you are NOT sprinting. When sprinting, you get less movement because you are... sprinting. Another good idea is sprinting in space, then laying off the sprint to make a hard move. This is the most effective way to throw someone off in the open field. They will sprint once they sense you sprinting, and if you lay a move there's no way they can react to it unless they simply guess right.

It also matters who your are doing what to. Against some front 7 guys, I don't try to run them over if I can tell. They are guys that you can shake. Against the DB's, trucking is sometimes the better choice.

I still don't use the spin move enough....

I use the L stick a lot to juke... more than the highlight stick.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »