Home

What Madden 11 needs in terms of presentation.

This is a discussion on What Madden 11 needs in terms of presentation. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: What Madden 11 needs in terms of presentation.

Watcher I think I need to clarify, you are correct when it comes to cutscenes they are scripted and are not real-time. What I mean by real-time "shots" (i should say..) is the camera focusing in on something that is happening while everything else is still going on. I want to show you some examples of what I mean when it comes to real time. Im using NBA 2k10 because they do a really good job of real time presentation.

At 0:32 - you see lebron james doing his pregame warmup with his teammate now at about 0:38 you see the camera just changes to a different angle to show a close up of Lebron. Everything is still going on around him. The camera just choses to focus on him.

A better example is at 1:46 - Calderon hits a 3 pointer. As the game is going on in real time and the other team sets up to inbound the ball after the basket, the camera quickly switches over to Jose Calerdon as he runs back to get on defense.

Another one here at 3:32 - you see lebron James get charged. What I love about this clip is that his teammate helps him up after the foul. There are many occasions where Ive seen the player from the other team help a person on the ground up or they get up themselves even though its the same situation. You see that in real time that the camera focuses on James after the foul to show his reaction. However that doesnt mean other things are going on as this is all happening. The player charged with the foul has his own reaction, teammates and coaches have their own reactions. There are multiple ways for the player to see the same thing happen and the camera angles are what make things fresh.

There is a lot of things that people do not appreciation that are there to make you feel like you are watching a tv broadcast. NBA2k does such a good job with not only animations of the players but stuff like stat over lays to coaches and players on the bench reacting to whats actually happing on the court. I can even go as far as crowd, mascot, and camera men animations. Everything and everyone is reacting to the gameplay and what is happening on the court to what the player is doing. This all happens in real time with no videos or cutscenes being played.

In madden when u want to see emotion of the players and coaches or something important after the play is over.. the game switches over to a cut scene. Yes its cool to see a quick clip of the coach being mad on the sidelines and throwing his clipboard but wouldnt it be cooler to see the coach being mad and marching up and down the sidelines with his arms in the air as the game is actually going on. Seeing coaches and players catching balls thrown away by the qb on the sidelines or players stopping runners as they go out of bounds is the type of detail that sports games are implementing this gen. There are so many more examples I can think of such as the ref respotting the ball after the play is dead as the players go back to the huddle, or real-time substitutions and packages, or real-time injuries. I think you get my point.

Half time and post game shows are great but to me this is the type of stuff thats going to make me feel like im watching the game on tv.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 02-18-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite

MLB The show made the leap to real time this year, hopefully Madden will follow suit, but there are so many things this game needs, even for a presentation guy like myself, it gets pushed to the back.
I agree. I think before they can even think about using real-time as a total replacement for cut scenes they have to get post-play movements up to par first. Otherwise, we're just going to see the same mess with longer duration, lol. If people are complaining now (and they are valid complaints that I agree with), just imagine what would be the outcome if they went all real-time with what they have in place now. That would be a disaster.

I don't think people realize how much of an undertaking this is. This is a multi-year deal to get this right, just considering where it is right now. I'll be optimistic and say that Madden 10 was year one, but clearly there is still an enormous amount of work to be done to the post-play stuff. Of course, the first step is for the team to recognize that this is a big problem presentation-wise. To us, it's pretty cut and dry. We know it's a problem. I mean, some of these movements have been around since Madden 06, and they weren't good then, soooo...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I agree. I think before they can even think about using real-time as a total replacement for cut scenes they have to get post-play movements up to par first. Otherwise, we're just going to see the same mess with longer duration, lol. If people are complaining now (and they are valid complaints that I agree with), just imagine what would be the outcome if they went all real-time with what they have in place now. That would be a disaster.

I don't think people realize how much of an undertaking this is. This is a multi-year deal to get this right, just considering where it is right now. I'll be optimistic and say that Madden 10 was year one, but clearly there is still an enormous amount of work to be done to the post-play stuff. Of course, the first step is for the team to recognize that this is a big problem presentation-wise. To us, it's pretty cut and dry. We know it's a problem. I mean, some of these movements have been around since Madden 06, and they weren't good then, soooo...
100% agree
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9

Do the Madden devs know they have the ESPN license? If so they should try using it sometime. If the presentation for 2k5 could be that good I don't see why 5 years later on a next gen console they can't be even better, but then again it is Madden we're talking about.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
Watcher I think I need to clarify, you are correct when it comes to cutscenes they are scripted and are not real-time. What I mean by real-time "shots" (i should say..) is the camera focusing in on something that is happening while everything else is still going on. I want to show you some examples of what I mean when it comes to real time. Im using NBA 2k10 because they do a really good job of real time presentation.

At 0:32 - you see lebron james doing his pregame warmup with his teammate now at about 0:38 you see the camera just changes to a different angle to show a close up of Lebron. Everything is still going on around him. The camera just choses to focus on him.

A better example is at 1:46 - Calderon hits a 3 pointer. As the game is going on in real time and the other team sets up to inbound the ball after the basket, the camera quickly switches over to Jose Calerdon as he runs back to get on defense.

Another one here at 3:32 - you see lebron James get charged. What I love about this clip is that his teammate helps him up after the foul. There are many occasions where Ive seen the player from the other team help a person on the ground up or they get up themselves even though its the same situation. You see that in real time that the camera focuses on James after the foul to show his reaction. However that doesnt mean other things are going on as this is all happening. The player charged with the foul has his own reaction, teammates and coaches have their own reactions. There are multiple ways for the player to see the same thing happen and the camera angles are what make things fresh.

There is a lot of things that people do not appreciation that are there to make you feel like you are watching a tv broadcast. NBA2k does such a good job with not only animations of the players but stuff like stat over lays to coaches and players on the bench reacting to whats actually happing on the court. I can even go as far as crowd, mascot, and camera men animations. Everything and everyone is reacting to the gameplay and what is happening on the court to what the player is doing. This all happens in real time with no videos or cutscenes being played.

In madden when u want to see emotion of the players and coaches or something important after the play is over.. the game switches over to a cut scene. Yes its cool to see a quick clip of the coach being mad on the sidelines and throwing his clipboard but wouldnt it be cooler to see the coach being mad and marching up and down the sidelines with his arms in the air as the game is actually going on. Seeing coaches and players catching balls thrown away by the qb on the sidelines or players stopping runners as they go out of bounds is the type of detail that sports games are implementing this gen. There are so many more examples I can think of such as the ref respotting the ball after the play is dead as the players go back to the huddle, or real-time substitutions and packages, or real-time injuries. I think you get my point.

Half time and post game shows are great but to me this is the type of stuff thats going to make me feel like im watching the game on tv.
Yeah, I see what you're saying Johnny. I thought 2K9 looked good, but wow. 2K10 is even crazier. 2K just has a knack for presentation. The animations are nothing short of impressive.

Hard to distinguish NBA 2K10 from a real life broadcast if a person isn't paying real close attention. Madden has a long way to go to get to that level. The animations that happen in Madden during non-play periods just aren't anywhere close to where we'd need it to be in order to touch the example you posted.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Hard to distinguish NBA 2K10 from a real life broadcast if a person isn't paying real close attention. Madden has a long way to go to get to that level. The animations that happen in Madden during non-play periods just aren't anywhere close to where we'd need it to be in order to touch the example you posted.

This is when the horrid feeling returns that years of innovation were lost after the exclusivity deal was signed.

Sports video games have evolved beyond ESPN NFL 2K5, but a lot of people are still begging Madden to catch up with it. (That may be more perception than reality at this point, but there you go.)

MLB 10: The Show has real time presentation. Backbreaker has Euphoria. The world moves fast. We shouldn't have to rely on one NFL game to keep up with everything.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 4

The only changes to presentation I really care about is....

Adding the ability to bypass all presentation content completely. I just want to get to the next play and not be forced to watch the ref make the call that I already know the answer to. I don't want to be forced to watch the half-time presentation (Supersiming the last play of the 2nd half is the only way around this) I also wish I could not have to watch the post-play player animations..like after a feidl goal the kicker's reaction....etc.

Once the play/quarter/half is over, I want to get to the play call screen immediately.

Last edited by rocknroll1968; 02-20-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Yea these games have made big improvements. I am sure Ian and his crew knows all this and is trying their best. Wait until madden 11 comes and see what happens. But I am sure they are working on make a big improvement from this year madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »