Home

New attribute idea - Motor?

This is a discussion on New attribute idea - Motor? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Rookie

cletusdog's Arena

OVR: 6
New attribute idea - Motor?

i was thinking...
you always hear, especially around draft season, that a guy has a non-stop motor, or on the other side of the spectrum, takes plays off. I think that this could be incorporated into the game well.
a guy like Jared Allen who seems like he's always "in the game" or Randy Moss who is notorious for taking plays off or simply not trying hard at times are extreme examples of this.

i believe "motor" could be added as an attribute to reflect this.
If a guy is an 87 OVR and has a 99 on his motor attribute, you are always gonna get his attribues at an 87 OVR player.
If however you are gonna have a slacker and his motor ranking is low, he will be a little up and down during a game and will only max out at his given attributes on occasion.

I just think that this could be a cool little addition to add more realism.

...and a Baba Booey to y'all
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: New attribute idea - Motor?

Yeah, in 2k5 I think this was done in the form of "consistancy" and "agressive" ratings. I know there was also the leadership rating in that game as well. I still don't quite know how these ratings were implemented in the game, but I know that when I played as the Patriots in 2k5, I would play one offensive lineman over another [forget the names] because one was more agressive and consistant than the other even though he had a lower overall rating.

To be fair, coaching should alter this ability as well. Randy Moss used to take plays off, then that wasn't a problem in NE. Vernon Davis was a problem player until he started to listen to Samuri Mike. When coach Cloughlin [spelling?] of the Giants changed how strict he was, the Giants play/played better.

There are so many "x factors" in football. I'll always say Peyton Manning's biggest enemy is himself. He can get frustrated and when it gets so bad that it shows, he plays worse. Perfect example, a friend of mine is a jets fan. I told him if Manning gets frustrated, he'll lose the game. Manning looked cool and calm all game long in he AFC championship game. Never furstrated. In the Superbowl, after having to settle for a FG, before it was even missed, you saw on TV Manning take his helmet off and throw a towel down in anger and his otherwise pale face was steaming red. I said to my friend, "That right there... the Colts have lost the Superbowl... right there." The next drive, pick six and Saints pretty much won. there is a reason Manning is 9-9 in the post season and his TD-INT ratio is like 28-19. Manning is the QB who has great regular season numbers, but in the post season, where he played only two more game than a regular season worth of games, his numbers are not that great.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Banned

Isn't that just stamina? Guys with low motor get low stamina so get tired quicker? In the play call screen you seen their dot change colour, I don't know if this happens (only EA would know) but if players got rating modifications as they got more worn out. So a Julius Peppers when playing 100% is a beast but he gets tired easily and in a long drive will become worse at getting pressure - essentially going "missing".

I would get far to frustrated with a game that randomly would make my players play worse. At least using the stamina you would know to sub the player in and out of the game to give them a rest.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

The difference is with a guy like shaun rogers for example, he is probably as good as any defensive tackle in the league when he gives 100% effort or atleast was before, didn't really watch much of the browns this year, but you never really know if he is going to do that on any given occasion. It isn't so much he plays great, plays great, plays great, then gets tires. It is more that sometimes he gives effort and sometimes he doesn't. I know some of you don't want to be limited by a player's ratings but how is that any different from a player only moving at a certain speed due to his speed rating or not being able to run a defender over because of his low trucking rating. The key is making players play as they actually do forcing the user to use players as they actually should be used and scout, draft, trade, and sign players accordingly or if you are playing play now games use your team as they need to be used and live with their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Rookie

cletusdog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywal
I would get far to frustrated with a game that randomly would make my players play worse. At least using the stamina you would know to sub the player in and out of the game to give them a rest.
that's the whole idea in my opinion. You can have a very talented player, but he's inconsistent, so that needs to be considered in the grand scheme of it all. Absolutely the guy's play is frustrating, and that's the point. Football is not Utopia.

As for stamina, yeah it does effect a player's ability, but it is a whole different aspect of the game and that's not what I'm addressing.

...and a Baba Booey to y'all

Last edited by cletusdog; 02-24-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7

yeah motor is the mental equivalent of stamina.

but i doubt it would go in or have much of an effect because EA is known for not including personality type ratings like leadership or trash talk.

and that would be a hard attribute to judge, how do you determine who has the better motor between michael turner or marion barber?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Rookie

i like an idea like this, maybe not motor,

But I would enjoy a consistency type rating to be at play, this is what I found interesting about playing basketball games, somtimes you'll have a player on fire all game and then another game he'll come out and shoot like Sh*T....

this type of unkown really intrigues me, I like the fact that it could account for players having off games, granted it doesn't have to be a drastic change but enough that we can see some players having good games vs. sometimes they might just stink it up.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusdog
i believe "motor" could be added as an attribute to reflect this.
If a guy is an 87 OVR and has a 99 on his motor attribute, you are always gonna get his attribues at an 87 OVR player.
If however you are gonna have a slacker and his motor ranking is low, he will be a little up and down during a game and will only max out at his given attributes on occasion.

I just think that this could be a cool little addition to add more realism.
I like the name "Consistency" better but whatever it's called, this would be interesting.

Add some rating that impacted how the player plays when faced with adversity (like the Peyton example, or say a HB like Peterson that is for whatever reason getting stuffed that day, or an OL that feels like he's getting picked on with holding calls, etc) during a game.

And I agree with coaching impacting this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »