Home

Franchise Mode: Players and Draft

This is a discussion on Franchise Mode: Players and Draft within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: Franchise Mode: Players and Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenBalla
Nobody knew Tom Brady's Potential was an A, he was just a third string QB warming the bench. It wasn't till he got behind center, did we know he was turning the Patriots into a dynasty
I totally disagree with this. If you follow Brady's carreer plenty of coaches and scouts knew he had the potential to be a good NFL QB just because the average fan didn't know people act like he was some needle in a haystack that came out of nowhere. A couple of things happened to Brady before he ever got on the field. He was drafted and held a roster spot on a team that already had 3 QBs. Keeping 4 QBs is unheard of today, but Belichick did it because he knew TBs potential. The other thing people forget is that when Brady came in for Bledsoe in his 2nd year he wasn't a 3rd string player in the pre-season he moved up the depth chart to number 2 because Belichick loved the way he ran the team. So two very significant things happened before Brady's miracle super bowl run that shows you how NFL coaching staffs and scouts evaluated his talent.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
I totally disagree with this. If you follow Brady's carreer plenty of coaches and scouts knew he had the potential to be a good NFL QB just because the average fan didn't know people act like he was some needle in a haystack that came out of nowhere. A couple of things happened to Brady before he ever got on the field. He was drafted and held a roster spot on a team that already had 3 QBs. Keeping 4 QBs is unheard of today, but Belichick did it because he knew TBs potential. The other thing people forget is that when Brady came in for Bledsoe in his 2nd year he wasn't a 3rd string player in the pre-season he moved up the depth chart to number 2 because Belichick loved the way he ran the team. So two very significant things happened before Brady's miracle super bowl run that shows you how NFL coaching staffs and scouts evaluated his talent.

Yeah but Belichick isnt the one grading these players in the game. EA is.You think EA had him as an A potential when he as a rookie?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneKIller
Yeah but Belichick isnt the one grading these players in the game. EA is.You think EA had him as an A potential when he as a rookie?
Yeah, but the principle would apply to any "fictional" players.

Yeah for the NFL "real" players it might not hold as much water, but for all draftees, fictional players (which happen every draft in a franchise) it makes sense - and since fictionals will dominate the franchise over time (i.e. more fictional players than real players), it makes sense to me to get the system right for them if nothing else.

Potential should be hidden, but scouting should give you an *idea* of what his potential might be, with accuracy depending on the quality and length of time you scouted the player.

No one knew what Brady's potential might be until he was evaluated, scouted, and looked at on and off the field. It should be the same way for us in the game.

Oh and bring back the random draft classes too. That way EA's "hand grading" is totally out of the mix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything in my post, but KB hit the nail on the head coaches and scouts should be able to give you a decent idea of a player's potential in the video game and in real life
Old 02-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Yeah, but the principle would apply to any "fictional" players.

Yeah for the NFL "real" players it might not hold as much water, but for all draftees, fictional players (which happen every draft in a franchise) it makes sense - and since fictionals will dominate the franchise over time (i.e. more fictional players than real players), it makes sense to me to get the system right for them if nothing else.

Potential should be hidden, but scouting should give you an *idea* of what his potential might be, with accuracy depending on the quality and length of time you scouted the player.

No one knew what Brady's potential might be until he was evaluated, scouted, and looked at on and off the field. It should be the same way for us in the game.

Oh and bring back the random draft classes too. That way EA's "hand grading" is totally out of the mix.
So what happens to the REAL LIFE rookies in the game ?

We wait till the end of the real season after starting a franchise that we are 5 years in deep to find out that an original C rated players now gets an 90+ overall in the roster updates?But in our Franchise that we are 5 years in deep this player is prob one of the worst QB's.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
So what happens to the REAL LIFE rookies in the game ?

We wait till the end of the real season after starting a franchise that we are 5 years in deep to find out that an original C rated players now gets an 90+ overall in the roster updates?But in our Franchise that we are 5 years in deep this player is prob one of the worst QB's.
They get ratings wrong, not just potential but other ratings too, and those are also not changed within your franchise through roster updates. By this logic they should just go ahead and not rate players for fear that a rating could be wrong but really how much sense does that make?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Honestly i really don't like the potential system at all.. i think it should be scrapped for tweaked ps2 progression. But i do like your idea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
They get ratings wrong, not just potential but other ratings too, and those are also not changed within your franchise through roster updates. By this logic they should just go ahead and not rate players for fear that a rating could be wrong but really how much sense does that make?

Thats why we have progression

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »