Home

Good Defensive Playbook against the Pass?

This is a discussion on Good Defensive Playbook against the Pass? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
MVP

Molarmite's Arena

OVR: 13
Good Defensive Playbook against the Pass?

I need to find a playbook that is good against stopping the pass and some plays to go along with hit. I've given up probably 700-800 passing yards in my past two games and I need to make a change. I use the Vikings and their playbook, I usually try Cover 2 or Cover 3 but the guys I played picked that apart. They would either have their slot receiver run a streak and pass it to him instantly for a first down every time.

Or another thing I have trouble defending is good TE's. What is a good play for that? Any help or tips to improve my Pass D is greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Good Defensive Playbook against the Pass?

The slot receiver go is the bane of Cover 3. What I like to stop that is a play in the Dime package (it's in pretty much everyone I use) called like Cover 3 Man X or something. It's a cover 3 in all respects except the slot WR is man on man. Just flip it to cover whichever side the slot guy is on. When the play starts, the guy reads Cover 3 and throws it to his slot guy for an easy swat down or pick.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molarmite
I need to find a playbook that is good against stopping the pass and some plays to go along with hit. I've given up probably 700-800 passing yards in my past two games and I need to make a change. I use the Vikings and their playbook, I usually try Cover 2 or Cover 3 but the guys I played picked that apart. They would either have their slot receiver run a streak and pass it to him instantly for a first down every time.

Or another thing I have trouble defending is good TE's. What is a good play for that? Any help or tips to improve my Pass D is greatly appreciated.
You need upgrade the speed and coverage abilities with linebackers and safeties. Also you front four needs to get pressure on the QB..
Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

i play cover 2 as my base, usually out of 3-4, no matter the offensive set. if i see holes, i set my players zones differemt. i find it helps alot if you shade your safeties before the snap. if the slot looks like problem, shade middle. if the outside looks like a problem, shade sidelines. wr on one side? shade that way. The middle shade can stop the slot if you get a little pressure. use def playmaker and change coverages, reblitz linemen too. I find cover 2 and cover 2 sink to be a good int defense and it olny allows short passes if you play smart with your coverages.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
MVP

Molarmite's Arena

OVR: 13

I love Cover 2 Sink, but the spot where the CB blitzes is usually left wide open and they took advantage of that. I guess learning how to control my MLB would be a huge help as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 11

If your opponent is playing a 1-dimensional game, there are some excellent pass coverage plays in the 3-3-5 and the 1-5-5.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I used to use the Vikes playbook aswell, before I switched it to the NE playbook for 3-4 D.

In the Vikings playbook though, good formations against the pass are the Dollar & Quarter and maybe the dime. This just gets more DB's on the field. 6 DB's in Dime and Dollar, 7 DB's in Quarter.
You will be getting less pressure on the QB (except for the dime), but if you're not getting to him in time anyway, why bother?

Use plays that have zone/man combos. Also, go into practice mode so you can learn the defensive hot route controls, paricularly so you can learn how to assign man coverage to the most suspicious recievers.

Last edited by xamp; 03-08-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4ckdabeast
If your opponent is playing a 1-dimensional game, there are some excellent pass coverage plays in the 3-3-5 and the 1-5-5.
I agree, 1-1-5 is nice against a heavy passer, especially if you have fast athletic LB's

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »