Home

Are Sliders Patchable?

This is a discussion on Are Sliders Patchable? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
Are Sliders Patchable?

Ok, so I heard someone mention a poster's "NFL Simulation" sliders and that got me thinking. Can the devs patch in different slide r settings than the default set?

Stay with me, let's say a user comes ups with the perfect set of sliders that reproduce sim gameplay. It would be great if EA could patch in that set to make it the default setting or have multiple sets be available (arcade, sim). Seems like some guys here spend more time on sliders than the devs and it would be nice to have them patched into the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Are Sliders Patchable?

Absolutely agree. I know that people have had to change their sliders after a patch release, although that may be due to gameplay changes, rather than slider changes.

I like the idea of different slider sets. Not sure if it would be something done in a patch though, perhaps as DLC?.
I know they were thinking of adding an accel. clock and CPU sliders as DLC for M09. They didn't btw (but it was mentioned).
Old 03-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Rookie

cletusdog's Arena

OVR: 6

I think that the sliders need a lot of work still. There needs to be a bigger difference in play when the sliders are set at either side of the spectrum. Make the sliders have more of a value.
This also applies to injury and penalty sliders. If I have them maxed out, it should be obvious. Right now, it is not.

And...my own personal deal, MORE special teams sliders (kick return, punt return, Blocking a kick, for both HUM/CPU

...and a Baba Booey to y'all

Last edited by cletusdog; 03-09-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

In theory, they should be able to set what All 50's would play like. For example, if passing is best with 32 QB Acc slider, then they could figure out whatever 32 does and set that to 50 and scale from there.

So if someone were able to come up on the perfect set, EA should very well be able to take the effects of those sliders and set them to 50 so that when you play at all 50s (default All-Pro) then you're getting those settings.

In fact, they wouldn't necessarily even need to do that if they did the arcade sliders/sim sliders idea - just like MySkill isn't always at all 50s. They could make arcade/sim the "base" slider set and have difficulty levels (say All-Pro leaves it alone, all-madden is -10 from user and +10 to CPU, etc) modify the sliders. For MySkill, you'd pick which slider set you want to base from and the game does it's thing from there.

Whether or not they'd do it in a patch is another question, but it is possible, imo.

Oh and yes, please put back the CPU and Human separate sliders for special teams, and again, yes, please make ALL sliders much more significant and noticable in effect.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Sliders 'should' be patchable. I'm fairly certain 2K Sports patches their NBA2K sliders. Madden seemed to patch the sliders, or at least affect how the sliders worked with their 2nd patch update. They definitely need to balance them better prior to release.

You guys are right about the sliders working properly. Some sliders you can set on 0, such as Interceptions, and you'll still see 1 to 3 interceptions per game for both teams on average.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Well at this point of the madden crew been in the middle of making madden 11. They will not patch anythhing else as far as gameplay wise for madden 10 at this point. But this would be a idea for madden 11 while they are working on it.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I want to second the concept of consistency. For example, even Bill Harris's sliders talk about how some penalties are very "touchy." If you set facemask, for example above like 52, you get a ton of facemask and a ton of animations of the ball carrier getting up asking for a facemask call [because it was pulled in the animation] but no flag was thrown. On the other hand, if you set offensive and defensive pass interefearence up to 100, I have still yet to see a single flag thrown that wasn't triggered by the user.

While I am glad that there are sliders to alter game play, part of me is bothered by them existing. I guess what I mean is this... when playing the game and adjusting sliders, it feels like animations and sliders alter game play far more than the ratings do. Now I know that "ratings don't matter," however, I think that this Madden has been slider and animation driven for so long, that is part of the problem. [even when they were hidden in years past, they were still there for the dev team.]

I am just upset by how un-polished Madden really is. Certian animation play over and over and over again in the same game, and those same animations game after game while other ones that would be better in certian situation hardly ever play. Some even only play once or twice since I have played this game. Despite this, Ian said they wokred on a system that would try and rotate an animation and once that animation played out, it would go to the "bottom of the list" and is less likely to play again so we can see a lot of animations play out... Then I played a game of onlin co-op with Valdarez and in the first drive we saw the shoe string tackle play out 3 times and by the end of the first quarter it played out 8 times. That is sad. The same applies to a lot of animations.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
You guys are right about the sliders working properly. Some sliders you can set on 0, such as Interceptions, and you'll still see 1 to 3 interceptions per game for both teams on average.
Something I have never, ever, ever, understood. And it still doesn't make the ratings seem to matter more. I would have thought that if there are any INTs, it's from the best CTH/AWR or even XCV ratings - but that didn't seem to be the case from what I saw. Did you see any difference in who managed to get the INTs that did occur?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »