Home

Whats the big deal about "Route Based Passing"?

This is a discussion on Whats the big deal about "Route Based Passing"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 19
Re: Whats the big deal about "Route Based Passing"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I think this would make blitzing even more overpowered than it is, especially against the AI.

Also, with how passive and unaware WR are in this game, making the passing game rely on them running their routes and looking for the ball only at a few times in the route would get frustrating.

Not to mention how lazily they run their routes.

Not to mention press coverage, at least by the AI, is insanely too good.

They would also have to just let balls be incomplete. Right now, if they did this and you couldn't have perfect timing, the ball would probably go to a defender instead of just being off-target.

All of this combined with being able to throw the ball at only 1 point in the route? Sounds like sacks and picks haven.

Do this as part of a complete overhaul of the passing game? Then it can make sense. Just sticking it on top of what's there? I don't think that would work.

BTW, when I throw an out-route, I do it just like in that video, Valdarez. When the target is at the "vertex" of the route and looks like he's making his cut, I throw the ball - it goes to the out, instead of acting like a fly route.

I see what you are saying top an extent, for that reason I would be very happy with the ps2 version of Madden 06 converted to ps3 with roster/ animation updates and Madden 2011 slapped on the front of it.

It had route based passing tho a bit too forgiving IMO, player roles, a great franchise and a host of other good things.

but back on topic, i would LOVE A COMPLETE OVERHAUL OF THE PASSING. This game is over-due for a overhaul.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #18
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Also it would help deal with the current camera angle where the outside receivers can't be seen unless you rollout to that side. With route based passing there would be a better timing element where you didn't have to see your receiver to make the pass. Just rely on the timing of the pass and route to help with this.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
Banned

I remember how hard a good timing offense was to stop in earlier Maddens. Also it made user picks all that more skillfull and rewarding.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Thanks Jesus!

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
Banned

lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I had this happen in Madden 10 last week. My TE was supposed to run up over the middle and cut out to the 1st down marker, about 5 yards downfield. I threw it right when he was supposed to make his break but it was a shade too early. In real life it would have been a perfect throw, the safety was running deep and if the route based passing was in effect the throw would have been timed just right so that the TE would have cut right and immediately caught the ball for a 1st down.

Instead, in the current incarnation of the game the QB threw the ball to the player instead of to the spot the ball was thrown up over the top and the safety batted the ball away easily. So the defense was actually rewarded by the failure of having no route based passing. It's very aggravating and I knew at the time something was wrong, but after having read this thread it's now occurred to me what is wrong, the ball is tied to the player instead of the spot on the field and that's not realistic whatsoever.

So with all this being said, did I miss something and is EA now saying Route Based Passing is back this year in Madden 11?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I had this happen in Madden 10 last week. My TE was supposed to run up over the middle and cut out to the 1st down marker, about 5 yards downfield. I threw it right when he was supposed to make his break but it was a shade too early. In real life it would have been a perfect throw, the safety was running deep and if the route based passing was in effect the throw would have been timed just right so that the TE would have cut right and immediately caught the ball for a 1st down.

Instead, in the current incarnation of the game the QB threw the ball to the player instead of to the spot the ball was thrown up over the top and the safety batted the ball away easily. So the defense was actually rewarded by the failure of having no route based passing. It's very aggravating and I knew at the time something was wrong, but after having read this thread it's now occurred to me what is wrong, the ball is tied to the player instead of the spot on the field and that's not realistic whatsoever.

So with all this being said, did I miss something and is EA now saying Route Based Passing is back this year in Madden 11?
the best u can do with madden in regards to what u experienced is put some mustard on the ball away from the receiver using precision passing. that way if u mistimed the cut, at least the ball will be thrown to that side of the receiver away from the defender.

what im saying is, if ur running a out toward the right sidelines...as soon as u think hes gonna cut, throw it with some extra guidance to the right of the WR. 2 things can happen:

1) if u time it right, it will lead him in the route nicely and hit a empty space where u may even get seperation and cut it upfield if ur QB is accurate enough.

2) if u time it wrong and it goes to where WR is currently b4 the cut, the ball will at least go to the right side of the WR and he can possibly catch it where he is and avoid an INT

that is def one of the things i love about 2k5/apf2k8. nothing better than timing a route perfectly and floating the ball right where it needs to be and nowhere near a defender. nothing more satisfying IMO. it can be done in madden, but the timing window is so small.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

You are right, I just get sick of throwing the ball at the perfect time and the WR not running his route and instead just continues to run in whatever direction he was running when I threw the ball. It's really stupid and not real football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »