Home

Idea to Replace Slide Prodection: Identify the Blitzer

This is a discussion on Idea to Replace Slide Prodection: Identify the Blitzer within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #73
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Idea to Replace Slide Prodection: Identify the Blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
There's no slide protection on run plays in football, only maddenball. Run plays have their own blocking techniques. O-linemen block areas... head up to playside, head up to backside, influence then 2nd level, double team head up to playside, pull, trap, ect
This
Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #74
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

To the OP. Nice idea and I am all for it.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 6

[quote=splff3000;2040951539]I'm not too keen on any Madden game doing anything "automatically" for me. I can see it now: I identify the MLB as the blitzer so the game automatically slide "protects" my offensive line to spread so that the FB can block the MLB. Since the rest of the D-line is stunting, they have a lot of lanes to the QB because the O-line spreaded.....for no reason. I can see plenty of WTF moments happening if slide protection is automatically controlled. Now as an add-on to the slide protection that's already implemented, this would be great. As long as the game doesn't do anything automatically for you, this is cool. If you want slide protect AND identify the blitzer, let me actually pick the slide protection that I want as well pick out the blitzer. Great Idea, whichever one of you thought of it first lol.
\quote]
Why would you block the blitzer with a back?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #76
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

"Why would you block the blitzer with a back?"

Backs pick up blitzers ALL the time in the NFL. What's the issue?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
If you are running a sweep left, you aren't going to have the line block right. And if you are running a sweep left, you can't have the line block any more left than they already are.

I don't know why people think they need this so badly.
Because with the way the engine works - it DOES have an impact with the quality of blocking.

It SHOULDN'T work that way, but it does. The line SHOULD block left on a sweep left...but they don't - unless you tell them to. Nevermind the plays where the line won't even attempt to seal an edge on outside running unless you "slide" them in the opposite (as in, against the designed playside) direction...or up run blocking so high that they succeed based on suction and not technique.

Until linemen get logic good enough to where they actually do what the play says they do and not...whatever they do now - that's why I think it's needed.

Ideally, it should be in, but...

Last edited by KBLover; 04-13-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 6

Great idea! By the way, how was I the first one to give this a 5*rating? If any threads deserve it, this one surely does.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #79
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I love the idea and I'd also like to see more user control over guys faking blitzes instead of the one look that it gives you the option of using, or the other random times you will show blitz without actually selecting to show blitz. One way would be for them to allow us to select a bluff from the playcall screen. For instance, you could select to show a blitz from your mike and will LBs, but the actual defense that you selct to run could be a sam blitz. Also have o-linemens's awareness tied into blitz pickup, so that if you call out the wrong blitzer but your blockers have high awareness it isn't always a jailbreak on the line
I like the idea of having different options for pre-snap auto motion. We should be able to pick our play, then select a number of pre-snap looks. I mentioned this in another thread:

**Pre-Snap Auto Motion**
One way to make teams/plays feel unique is to give us the option to set up pre-snap motion. Some examples:
--Single High Safety (Really Deep)
--Moving an extra safety into the box when expecting the run
--"A" Gap Pressure Package
This is a staple of Jim Johnson's defenses (and now Steve Spagnuolo). Many teams are showing this a lot now. A Nose Tackle, with 2 LB's right up in the A Gap. There should be a bunch of plays out of this set. Here is the Bengals using it:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...itzing-Bengals

Teams like the Eagles should be showing a ton of "A" Gap pressure looks, then running all of the normal plays from there.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #80
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
How about having actual protection systems, instead of random blocking whoever is there programming. How about incorporating true-to-life check-releases by rb's and te's.

This is what needs to happen.

The original idea of calling out a blitzer is nice and all, but that's not how it's done in real life. Any time a QB is pointing and calling out audibles, he's calling out a protection scheme, not necessarily just one player.

Also, slide protection on running plays does need to go--the blocking schemes just need to be fixed so they are executed properly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »