Home

Popularity Rating

This is a discussion on Popularity Rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
Popularity Rating

Name says it all. Madden should make a new, seperate rating called "Popularity" which reflects on the fans reaction to him and how his market value. Does the player's jersey sell a lot? Has he become a household name? For certain players, it should vary between which teams they go to. If a QB from Fresno State is drafted by the San Francisco 49ers, he would instantly become a fan favorite because he is from the Bay Area. Kind of like Tim Tebow, from Florida is from Jacksonville, if he is drafted by the Jaguars he will have a high Popularity rating.

When Favre went to the Jets, his jersey was an instant seller so he would have high popularity opposed to someone like Derek Anderson who, heck the guy got cheered on by the fans when he got hurt! A.J. Feeley is extremely popular in Philadelphia, but on any other team no one knows who he is.

Franchise mode needs to bring back the fan reactions, because a big time player can put some butts into the seat and raise revenue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Popularity Rating

Madden 07 [XBox/PS2/NGC]
-Player Roles
-- Fan Favorite: If a player on your team had an overall of 90+ and had been with the team for 5 or more years he would earn this role. This role increased his value for the team under the "importance" rating that altered trade value, granting a bonus and it increased ticket sales. When playing my 49ers franchise I would move Bryant Young from the DE spot he started in in the default rosters back to DT and he went from an 88 to a 94. After the first offseason when the game refreshed all player roles, he would be given this role every time.

If you didn't play Madden 07 for the PS2/XBox, I suggest you go out and get a copy. I found a unopened copy at a local comic book store that sells older video games for like $5 for the XBox and have been playing it instead of Madden 10 with a friend of mine because the franchise mode is so much better. It will not work on 360, and I don't think a copy for PS2 will work on PS3. IMO, Madden 07 was the best Madden title ever made, but becasue of next gen, not a lot of players knew just how good it was. Madden 08 for last gen lost the license rights to local news papers like USA Today and the San Francisco Chronicle that were in 07.

Your idea isn't bad. It has already been done by Madden. I doubt we will ever see it again, or if we do, it will be "All new to Madden." This is just another example why people are very upset at EA. I have said it many times and think I will make it my new signature... Forget comparing Madden to any other game, because it isn't even as good as last gen Madden. It's just prettier looking.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Why does revenue matter? There's always been that front office junk but it's not like you ever actually have to worry about not having enough money to spend (unless you wasting your time with cup holders and that kind of nonsense).

I agree that there's a need for an additional rating to a degree but not for the reasons mentioned. Let me put it this way: if you trade away a superstar in their prime it has no effect on your team. No one cares. You could deal away Jerry Rice, replace him with a mediocre receiver, and if you keep winning there won't even be a blip in attendence or other performance. Losing a guy like that should wreak havoc with the chemistry of the offense but it's not reflected in the game.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

At first when I saw this topic I thought the OP was going to go in a totally different direction than I expected. A popularity rating would be good for Madden because it can help recognize the popular players. This can be used in a few different ways that I can think of off the top of my head.

1) Cutscene Jersey Variation - A popularity rating can help select what player jerseys fans will wear in cutscenes.

2) Pregame Shots - When you are watching a pregame show on any TV network most of the time they have video clips of players before the game even starts. A popularity rating can help choose who gets clips during the pregame.

I would write more but im at the end of my break and have a class soon.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS3300
At first when I saw this topic I thought the OP was going to go in a totally different direction than I expected. A popularity rating would be good for Madden because it can help recognize the popular players. This can be used in a few different ways that I can think of off the top of my head.

1) Cutscene Jersey Variation - A popularity rating can help select what player jerseys fans will wear in cutscenes.

2) Pregame Shots - When you are watching a pregame show on any TV network most of the time they have video clips of players before the game even starts. A popularity rating can help choose who gets clips during the pregame.

I would write more but im at the end of my break and have a class soon.
Exactly. And you never need a 90 overall to be a popular guy, look at Wayne Chrebet when he was on the Jets, Matt Moore on the Panthers, A.J. Feeley in Philadelphia. These are players who are not 90 overalls that fans love for their team. Since there is no salary cap next season, isn't the money coming from funds and don't funds come from revune and selling products (jerseys, hats, memorabilia). To make Franchise even better, you have to include the fans, the ticket prices, hot dogs, foods like they had with Madden 2005. It makes the game that much more real instead of a chore. Franchise is the big feature to a sports video game and the more stuff make it that much more interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Why does revenue matter? There's always been that front office junk but it's not like you ever actually have to worry about not having enough money to spend (unless you wasting your time with cup holders and that kind of nonsense).
Yeah, that's a problem.

That said, I would love popularity ratings and have BOTH impacts on your fan base as well as with your team AND the presentation ideas mentioned.

Do it all. It's all good.

And then make revenue worth something.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I agree you don't need to be a 90+, but player roles wre at least a nice place to start. Favre shouldn't have lost a "Fan favorite" role because he stayed another year and wa an 88 or an 86 as a Packer.

I just think that the return of player roles with more depth and story line features would be nice. The fact that there are non-rating "abilities" or attributes for palyers helps to add depth to the game.

This isn't a new idea, ust and abandond idea that should see a return and refinement.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenBalla
Exactly. And you never need a 90 overall to be a popular guy, look at Wayne Chrebet when he was on the Jets, Matt Moore on the Panthers, A.J. Feeley in Philadelphia. These are players who are not 90 overalls that fans love for their team. Since there is no salary cap next season, isn't the money coming from funds and don't funds come from revune and selling products (jerseys, hats, memorabilia). To make Franchise even better, you have to include the fans, the ticket prices, hot dogs, foods like they had with Madden 2005. It makes the game that much more real instead of a chore. Franchise is the big feature to a sports video game and the more stuff make it that much more interesting.
Brad Smith of the Jets is starting to become pretty popular in NY, Pierce was always popular with the Giants and he wasnt a 90. Madden should have a popularity scale decided by a letter grading system. Jared allen would receive an A+ meanwhile someone like Bernard Berrian would receive a C. A letter grading system would be a great way of sorting out popular players, its not like I say Justin Tuck should be rated a 89 for popularity, letters sound better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »