Home

What will/should be done with the Madden Drafts?

This is a discussion on What will/should be done with the Madden Drafts? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
Rookie

cletusdog's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What will/should be done with the Madden Drafts?

I like the "big Board" idea.
they kinda had that on PS2, but is was mainly fueled by what positions weren't filled on your roster so you' get right tackles highly needed because you didn't have a backup, but in reality you don't need a great backup RT because your backup left tackle can swing anyway.
That and of course the wonderful needs at punter and fullback which i've truly loved thru the years.
If that type of stuff was eliminated and a true Big Board was created, it'd be awesome. If you have a scrub or older QB, you should be looking for a new guy. If you run the 3-4 a nose tackle is probably always gonna be of interest. If you've got a little scat back, you might be looking to pair him w/ a bruiser. Let us see the names that fit these needs and rank'em based on talent/scheme/need.
that sorta thing would be fun.

hell, let us create our own big board just before the draft and make it more prominent in the display.

the crawls in the Draft need a lot of work on presentation. Have they actually seen the real draft before?

...and a Baba Booey to y'all
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I agree that there is a lot of value to keeping names constant. This allows a lot of name recognition to be brought in which is why I like my idea of having the randomness being on the ratings and potentials for those ratings. Also, they do need to work on bringing in some faces other than just black and white to match the names.

That said, why shouldn't a player have 95 speed and 80 acceleration? Both are independent abilities and just because a player can hit a high top speed that does not mean he should be able to instantly hit that speed and just because a player is slow does not mean he can't have the explosiveness to fire off the line and hit his top speed very quickly. That said since things like speed and acceleration should only be able to usually be improved a few points over the course of a career there does need to be some selectiveness on the user's part in finding guys with acceptable ability in both areas but that doesn't mean a player should not be able to have that particular skill set.

That also brings me to another point. The CPU needs to have minimum ratings in some areas that they will not start at a position if they have the choice. A team that likes to play man coverage should probably never be looking to start a corner with less then around 85 speed, agility, and acceleration. If they have a corner that fits those abilities they should give him some leeway on the depth chart compared to those without those abilities. Also there should probably be different limits for different positions even within a team. Some teams have different requirements for their nickle corner as compared to a starter or for the 2nd back as compared to their first. Also, regardless of overall the cpu should look to avoid signing or resigning or drafting players who don't fit those requirements. Along with physical abilities you could add minimums for regular skills as well and for height and weight.

With those minimum abilities in place you could implement a system for the CPU to be able to switch player positions so 3-4 teams would then be forced to move pass rushers to the OLB spots or non rushing LBs inside etc or teams that want their corners to play man may try moving a more physical zone coverage guy back to safety or a recieving back into the slot reciever spot or a fast QB to WR or whatever.
This is the reason the overall rating needs to be changed or taken away all together. A 85 rated player is not always going to have that same rating on any team he plays far. For example a small d-lineman could be rated high on a 4-3 team but would be terrible on a 3-4 team. A good slot receiver would have a lower rating if he has to play outside, a pass catching TE would be rated higher on a team that runs a WCO.

Many of the ratings should very on the type of offense and defense you run, it would be important to find the right players for your scheme and not just the highest rated players.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

The draft classes are really great, they just have to make sure they don't repeat the same guys in the next season's game. IDK if they're planning on making a whole new pool, but that would be a really nice idea.

It would also be great if you didn't know every single rating before you drafted. That takes lots of the suspense out of it. I'd rather have more vague scouting descriptions than hard ratings numbers. And I'd love not to now potential at all.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11

I would love them to make it like is in real life,by making you draft from Ncaa11. Idont know when or why the Madden team and Ncaa team are not working togather to make both games great. They need to come togather and come up with a new draft pool,by opening up the whole draft classes all togather. If Ncaa would let us send every schools players thats leaving over to madden and this way we would not know who the stars are. Of course Madden would have to take out there draft classes and only go with Ncaa draft classes. And Ncaa would have to make sure the classes are realistic and very playable. Plus by doing this it would boost sales of both games by having a real life draft class going to madden every year...

Last edited by cowboy_kmoney; 03-24-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 12

Four options:

1. Alllow an option for a generated draft class
2. Create new hand made draft classes (maybe some DL ones)
3. Make historic draft classes
4. Always keep the options of using the older draft classes; say you want HC09 classes or M10 in M11 etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 36

This would be my favorite version of madden if the draft went as follows...Now, I'm assuming they finally add trading next years picks in.

Draft Day Stuff:

Make it an event not a pit stop-

1) Cutscene welcoming me to the NFL Draft, shows the top 5 projected picks sitting there at the tables.

2) PA guy saying each team is on the clock for the first 3 rounds with crowd reactions of each pick, mandatory 25-30 seconds inbetween CPU picks (for reason below)

3) Whenever one of the 5 invited players gets picked, they come up and hold the jersey #1 up as flashbulbs go off, with either clapping, mixed reaction, or boos depending on the thought of the pick.

4) In a nutshell, I want NFLN draft presentation with the tickers, atmosphere, etc (like HC09 as the team logo slid across the top bar. I want a big yellow TRADE to show up with the announcer saying "There has been a trade!". Then, I want to see what the compensation was (get rid of the 3 item limit!) or a little noise to coincide with a red "The pick is in..." as we wait in anxiousness.

5) Then, after the first 3 rounds, the crowd becomes a bit quieter in reaction and the PA guy doesn't announce the trades or pick is in. Also, the time in between picks for CPU goes from 25-30 seconds to 15-20 seconds. After the first 5 rounds, the picks go to 10-15 seconds. This would make it bearable to watch the draft as if it was an event. Also, have teams call you with offers for your pick. This should happen EVERY draft, multiple times. It can be as simple as "STL has an offer..View?" then brings you to a Accept, Decline, or Counter screen. It should vary on a year to year basis regarded to BPA or a team needing to fill a need.

As far as the actual draft players go, I just want them to randomize name AND potential. but, have options before you start franchise:

1- Standard M11 draft classes (every one you start with this is the same, but the years they come in are random like M10)

2- Hardcore M11 draft classes (This is the one where you'll actually have to do your homework to avoid busts, as potential and name are randomized)

...am I done yet? Phew.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 7

Get rid of these premade draft clases and actually make a half decent autogenerate draft class. You cant expect to have any kind of replayability with premade draft classes. How realistic are premade classes anyways? Do I know every player in every draft for the next 30 years in the nfl? no

To keep it short anything short of an autogenerated draft class that has new players every time is what you guys should be asking for.

You would have to be real foolish to come up with any idea of keeping premade classes. It is a lazy workaround to what really needs to be created. A draft class auto generator is not hard to make. I'm not talking about making a crappy one like the past versions im talking about spending some damn time and fine tuning it to perfection. Or as a madden buyer we aren't allowed perfection?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #24
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
I am strictly an offline franchise guy, and I do not like the idea of canned drafts at all. I don't buy Madden every year, so replay value is important to me. Having a finite number of drafts just kills replay for me. I would rather that they fine tune the player generator, so we get draft pools (random) with early round busts and late round gems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantgetright69
Get rid of these premade draft clases and actually make a half decent autogenerate draft class. You cant expect to have any kind of replayability with premade draft classes. How realistic are premade classes anyways? Do I know every player in every draft for the next 30 years in the nfl? no

To keep it short anything short of an autogenerated draft class that has new players every time is what you guys should be asking for.

You would have to be real foolish to come up with any idea of keeping premade classes. It is a lazy workaround to what really needs to be created. A draft class auto generator is not hard to make. I'm not talking about making a crappy one like the past versions im talking about spending some damn time and fine tuning it to perfection. Or as a madden buyer we aren't allowed perfection?

Here here. Something about just being able to look up who the gems are and who the busts are w/ the generated draft classes bugs me. Just randomize every draft, no two classes the same, and keep it moving. Was that really such a problem for so many years in the older Maddens?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »