Home

Are developers scratching their heads?

This is a discussion on Are developers scratching their heads? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Are developers scratching their heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashad19
No it's not a gimmick at all but the way it's packaged makes it seem that way. Without variety in cut scenes and actual in game footage of the scrum it loses it's novelty fast. Another classic case of good intentions poor execution. This theme carries true with the first down measurements and referee discussions as well.

I think Lauxman hit the nail on the head. If they focus on the core areas of the game and quit sensationalizing cosmetic areas then it would improve the quality of the game.
I agree. The fact that the F3 scene is always the same is not ideal. A variety of scenes from different angles would be. It would also help if a player didn't jump on and slide off... it just feels like hijinks sort of stuff. What I dislike most about a lot of animations in Madden is that they often take a more jovial approach than a more serious one. Like, look at how guys go into the tunnel at halftime. It just doesn't feel serious like it should. I just don't buy Peyton Manning running and jumping doing high fives with the crowd as he runs to the tunnel.

In short, animatons for post-play reactions and cut scenes need to be more serious. It would make a world of difference there.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 03-31-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #42
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

if a game like MLB the Show can manage to improve on such a great game then Madden should be able to improve on a mediocre game.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #43
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I agree. The fact that the F3 scene is always the same is not ideal. A variety of scenes from different angles would. It would also help if a player didn't jump on and slide off... it just feels like hijinks sort of stuff. What I dislike most about a lot of animations in Madden is that they often take a more jovial approach than a more serious one. Like, look at how guys go into the tunnel at halftime. It just doesn't feel serious like it should. I just don't buy Peyton Manning running and jumping doing high fives with the crowd as he run to the tunnel.

In short, animations for post-play reactions and cut scenes need to be more serious. It would make a world of difference there.
You know what? Your right! I always thought the jovial nature of Madden hurt it's authenticity of the game. NFL football is a dark and ugly game so that needs to be captured without crossing the line of course. It's the lack of aggression that hurts the in game animations as well. Very strange that only the hit stick tackles are the only violent animations in the game. Players move with no sense of urgency once the play starts if you know what I mean.

It really bothers me watching my pulling guard not be violent or act with bad intentions on a tiny CB or safety!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #44
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

man, this thread is like hanging a piece of raw bloody meat out in front of a pack of wolves..

Bottom line is that the gig is up already for most people.
After years of nothing, or barely something, we are aware of all of the EA marketing tricks and hype.

Its just not gonna work anymore (for me anyway). Its funny how they release a still shot of Phillip Rivers face, and people are peeing themselves with excitement, when its something that will have no impact on the gameplay or presentation what so ever.
They do the same freakin thing every year, showing off an ever so slightly improved player or helmet model.

I really don't know who is to blame for the state of the game at this point.

You could argue that the higher ups and suits are placing restrictions on how much is added to the game yearly, but at the same time, this dev team can't even get the features that are in the game to work correctly.

And that video blog that Ian posted was embarrassing for the DEV team, and did nothing to show me that they have any passion left for this game.

All i know is people are wising up to being duped year after year, and its finally reaching a boiling point, and getting very close to spilling over.

Again, don't blame the NFL for the exclusive deal.. you need to blame EA for what they did with this exclusive license..
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #45
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
man, this thread is like hanging a piece of raw bloody meat out in front of a pack of wolves..

And that video blog that Ian posted was embarrassing for the DEV team, and did nothing to show me that they have any passion left for this game.

You can't really take away a team's passion from a self made video that only showed a few team members. You have to realize that most developers aren't photogenic, much less actors. They aren't going to be popping off walls for a sit down discussion. If they work as many hours as you read about, odds are they are looking for their next coca cola, mountain dew, or red bull (depending on the time of day...). If anything, the fact that they actually took the time to make the video, and do something fairly creative with the whiteboards (meant in fun, but angered some), shows there is passion to connect with the fans, and if they have a desire to put up with us it's a safe bet they have a strong desire to put out a good game. The game still fails on a lot of counts (a lot), but last year was a step in the right direction. This year Madden 11 will give us a good idea of just how many steps are left before we have a quality game, or in the worst case scenario, if we will ever receive a quality game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #46
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey

Bottom line is that the gig is up already for most people.
After years of nothing, or barely something, we are aware of all of the EA marketing tricks and hype.

Its just not gonna work anymore (for me anyway). Its funny how they release a still shot of Phillip Rivers face, and people are peeing themselves with excitement, when its something that will have no impact on the gameplay or presentation what so ever.
They do the same freakin thing every year, showing off an ever so slightly improved player or helmet model.

I really don't know who is to blame for the state of the game at this point.

You could argue that the higher ups and suits are placing restrictions on how much is added to the game yearly, but at the same time, this dev team can't even get the features that are in the game to work correctly.

All i know is people are wising up to being duped year after year, and its finally reaching a boiling point, and getting very close to spilling over.

Again, don't blame the NFL for the exclusive deal.. you need to blame EA for what they did with this exclusive license..
I agree with most of your general statement, it's way too early to hop the hype train. I won't hop on until the demo is released.

I can't agree with people we don't know , though, just by showing a video on the net. We don't know if that guy was not feeling well or put in a 60-80 hour work week. I don't know those people in real life, so, I won't judge them outside of that.

Edit- Thanks Valdarez, my thoughts exactly.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #47
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
You can't really take away a team's passion from a self made video that only showed a few team members. You have to realize that most developers aren't photogenic, much less actors. They aren't going to be popping off walls for a sit down discussion. If they work as many hours as you read about, odds are they are looking for their next coca cola, mountain dew, or red bull (depending on the time of day...). If anything, the fact that they actually took the time to make the video, and do something fairly creative with the whiteboards (meant in fun, but angered some), shows there is passion to connect with the fans, and if they have a desire to put up with us it's a safe bet they have a strong desire to put out a good game. The game still fails on a lot of counts (a lot), but last year was a step in the right direction. This year Madden 11 will give us a good idea of just how many steps are left before we have a quality game, or in the worst case scenario, if we will ever receive a quality game.
you make valid points here, and so does roadman..

so, if the problem is not the dev team, not EA, and not the passion or talent level.. then what or who is the problem here with this game, and why will this game just not advance and not even compare to its own sister products of Fifa, NHL, NBA?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 24

I'm just gonna echo what most have said before:

The lack of competition. Why add something mind-blowing and innovative if you're the only game in town?

How many times have I read a "What's the best Madden of all?" threads.....and the winner usually is Madden 05? Is it a coincidence that that was the same year as 2k5?

So, add little things year after year, and just keep the same old engine, because there isn't another NFL title out there that makes EA nervous.

Even The Show---even tho it's a PS3 exclusive-----has to somewhat compete with 2k. (Or is it the other way around?......)

Last edited by Segagendude; 03-31-2010 at 01:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »