Home

Explosiveness

This is a discussion on Explosiveness within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #33
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
With real world stats such as 40 times, bench weight / reps, cones, vertical, etc, it would be far more realistic. Added to that, we could have some type of abilities (good & bad) list from the coaching staff (offensive coaches).

I'm not saying this is the be all end all list, but APF2K8 had a really good starting list for player abilities, the only downside was that it didn't have player limitations (negative abilities) in the list. You can take a look at them here: http://www.2kfootballstrategy.com/mo...s_Descriptions

People will say but then how do you sort them? You could sort the players by the real world stats, and then you could sort them by who has a specific ability you want. Or, if you're looking for a rookie / trade, you would need to be able to check the abilities you are looking for, and then search the entire NFL players list. I'd much rather look for players this way, than evaluating this player's a 76, this ones an 77, but this one has 85 agility, and this one has 88 agility. Evaluating numbers in this manner, completely ruins the immersion of portraying the coach and making a decision on a player with good, but somewhat limited knowledge.
So you're saying that because EA doesn't give us pretty little pictures instead of the numbers that actually go into their calculator they are being lazy? Looking at 4.20 is the same thing as looking at 99 spd with an extra level of coding involved. Basically it doesn't really matter because it is the exact same thing. I certainly don't want to look at two receivers on my roster with the exact same icons and not have any idea who to line up in the slot and who to put on the outside. I certainly don't want to be forced to spend countless hours in practice like a real coaching staff would have to do to know the difference between two players with the same ICON. I'm also a fan of the awareness stat if implemented correctly.

The ratings we have with EA are fine the way they are, the real problem is getting them all to work properly in the game.
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #34
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbut
So you're saying that because EA doesn't give us pretty little pictures instead of the numbers that actually go into their calculator they are being lazy?
Yep, EA, 2K, pretty much every company that's made a sports game.

Quote:
Looking at 4.20 is the same thing as looking at 99 spd with an extra level of coding involved. Basically it doesn't really matter because it is the exact same thing.
Sure it matters, it ruins the immersion element of the game, plus there's no way it can ever line up with the commentary (when we actually get decent commentary).

Quote:
I certainly don't want to look at two receivers on my roster with the exact same icons and not have any idea who to line up in the slot and who to put on the outside. I certainly don't want to be forced to spend countless hours in practice like a real coaching staff would have to do to know the difference between two players with the same ICON. I'm also a fan of the awareness stat if implemented correctly
You wouldn't have to do that, you'd still have some way to determine it via the real world stats and the player abilities / limitations. Putting one in slot because they have 80 speed instead of 81, or 79, isn't realistic on any level.

With regards to your later point. Stats are all over the place with regards to their impact on the game. For many, the sliders seemed to affect the outcome more than the player stats themselves. So I definitely agree with you on the stats need to matter. Not only do they need to matter, but they need to matter the same across the board, so the sliders effectiveness is the same across the board. Right now, it's very hard to balance the game, even with the sliders.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #35
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Why do you need to rate them? I can't find a rating listing at NFL.com for the players. I will always view the use of ratings of sports companies who aim for realism as being lazy with regards to the design of their product.
I'm pretty sure that coaches constantly evaluate their players - and even rate them! The numbers Madden use are just short-hand so that the average player can tell the good from the not-so-good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
I'm pretty sure that coaches constantly evaluate their players - and even rate them! The numbers Madden use are just short-hand so that the average player can tell the good from the not-so-good.
QFT.

It all boils down to this: "This is the best and most effective, simple, way to do it."
Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #37
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Many rating can be based on real world number while there are some than simply cannot.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #38
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

I think explosiveness should be determine by acceleration and maybe strength or agility to a certain extent. It is sometimes refer to as power, which is roughly force times velocity. I think that the tweaking of acceleration is a very good thing(as shown by the video) because is shows the difference between top end speed players and players that very "explosive". A good example of this would be Jerry Rice, he was never known to be fast but accelerated very quicly and cut very quickly, thats what made him so dangerous.

But a player can be explosive vertically but not neccessarily agile laterally(Taylor Mays)

I did like consistency rating, that would be cool if implemented right.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #39
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
No argument on the last with regards to functionality, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to provide a evaluation of a player, and definitely doesn't mean it's the best way.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #40
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Yep, EA, 2K, pretty much every company that's made a sports game.
I'm confused, I thought originally you were saying that you liked the way 2K did it, but this seems to the contrary. Maybe I missed it in this thread or a different one but how are you suggesting it's done? (Serious tone not sarcastic)
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »