Home

Why doesn't he just come back?

This is a discussion on Why doesn't he just come back? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Why doesn't he just come back?

I am really hoping that the lacking community interaction this year will mean that they are putting all of their focus into fixing/expanding the game instead of appeasing our ever-growing need of attention.

As long as they continue releasing weekly updates and show that basic gameplay and franchise logic will WORK, I am happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #42
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

It seems to me that there has to be a way that Ian can return to posting information here and answering questions while taking constructive criticism but being shielded from the nonconstructive criticism.

There's no way to achieve this?

Here's the thing--this is a public forum. Just like anything in the public, you're going to have your model citizens and your jerks. Go to any sporting event, political rally, or anything that takes place in the public venue--there's going to be those that act a fool.

In all honesty, I don't know what else can be done about that.

I personally loved coming here daily to read comments from Looman and Cummings. It was the first time that I felt EA was not just listening, but genuinely interested in communicating with the fans that fatten their wallets. Whether it's EA, Amazon.com, or Wal-Mart, I appreciate a company taking the time to essentially give its customers some one-on-one time.

So I hope he comes back because I always appreciated his insight on the development process. And the truth is, like anything in life, if everyone completely loves what you're doing, you're ironically doing something wrong. You can't please everyone, and you shouldn't intend to--it's a futile goal.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #43
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus1108
Ya, that's my whole point I was trying to make in my first post of this thread. If other developers do it, and take the bashing etc.. then why can't EA and Ian and co.? I gaurantee you it will help them sale Madden more than they already do.
It was awful last year. Most of it came from people whom, like myself, joined during the summer becasue the blogs always listed this site as a reference. Some joined for NCAA rosters as it was the first thing to show up when you typed that in on google. It wasn't people being critical of the game that bothered him. They used the criticism to try to tune the running styles at one point along with a multitude of other changes that came from criticisms. However some people would go to pretty outrageous lengths to try to belittle EA. Heck, just a couple days ago when NCAA released their locomotion blog someone stated that EA wasn't focusing on the core of the gameplay and it was a gimmick. Valdarez (I think), who is very critical of EA most of the time, even knew the guy was reaching becasue he stated, "you can't get much more basic than running." It's stuff like that that helped drive them away.

There were also a lot of personal attacks aginst him. People were pretty much saying he was a failure, sucked at his job, sucked at life, etc. They continually claimed he knew nothing about football becasue he played soccer or whatever. They were just trying to make him miserable as a person and a game developer. There are a lot of people who are very critical of Madden still in these forums, but they know how to be respectful when they are upset by something.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
There were also a lot of personal attacks aginst him. People were pretty much saying he was a failure, sucked at his job, sucked at life, etc. They continually claimed he knew nothing about football becasue he played soccer or whatever. They were just trying to make him miserable as a person and a game developer. There are a lot of people who are very critical of Madden still in these forums, but they know how to be respectful when they are upset by something.
I never saw a lot of personal attacks and if someone did make one then their post was edited out pretty quick. Ive been on these forums for 6 years and Ive reached my breaking point with EA football. The only reason I ever found these forums was because of my love for NCAA and Madden back then.

Some people are tired of feeling the need to write out page long posts giving " constructive feedback " when everyone that follows it just says " TL;DR" . The fact that football games that are 6 years old are still better ( both 2k5 and Madden 05 ) than their current counterparts speaks volumes.

For 4-5 years now Ive read comments and blogs about how they are "adding" or "fixing" this or that. I would rather see the fruits of their labor as opposed to reading it.

Everyone here is so blasted excited about "Locomotion" this year that I think they must have forgot that it was that EXACT same feature touted back in Madden 09. Do a little research and see just where this amazing " locomotion" issue started. It was a major selling point and they did blogs and videos just to demonstrate it, and look where we are still at today.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #45
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Everyone here is so blasted excited about "Locomotion" this year that I think they must have forgot that it was that EXACT same feature touted back in Madden 09. Do a little research and see just where this amazing " locomotion" issue started. It was a major selling point and they did blogs and videos just to demonstrate it, and look where we are still at today.
The difference between 09 and 11 is that they are taking code from FIFA 10 and putting it in Madden 11.

If anyone has played FIFA, they would understand how well that locomotion code works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #46
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
I never saw a lot of personal attacks and if someone did make one then their post was edited out pretty quick.
You should go find Ian's post history and click inside the threads. You'll see a lotta pink names and disrespect. Things like that actually pushed me away from OS for awhile. I only returned for the NCAA/Madden updates, honestly. I like the idea of taking the vets of OS and allowing them to ask Ian about the different concerns about the game.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #47
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

The difference between SCEA and EA is that SCEA has their game in the right direction, and unfortunately EA does not have Madden in the right direction.

SCEA does not have to deal with much bashing because MLB the show is great, and everyone knows it is not perfect but the gameplay , A.I , and animations are spot on, and I always said it. Those 3 elements of the game must be right in order for a title to be successful.

Madden does not have solid gameplay , A.I , or animations, so it is getting bashed and not selling as well.

Yes 10 is better than 9, but 10 is a -C grade product.
Just too much is wrong with the game, and with the simple fundementals of it.

If I was working for EA and I was in Ian's position. I would have seen it coming , and in no way shape our form would have let the negative comments bother me.

I would have used it as a motivational tool in the sense that I must improve my product in a way that the majority of the post being neative now turn positive, and 1 year would not be enough, so I would have been ready.

I would have simply understood that the love for a Football videogame is huge , so a gamer that is not satisfied with my product will be very angry.

EA should have relaxed with getitng all that presentation and online league stuff, and really just focused on a very solid control scheme, solid gameplay, solid A.I, and solid animations.

Someone from EA should be very active in this forum, and not be afraid of the bashing. This forum posses a strong handfull of great memebers with great minds and ideas that would only help Madden.

Why do you think SCEA is in here a lot.

In the end it's EA loss.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #48
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83
Well some are blessed to have an extra $60 on a Video Game. IMHO if you have time to come on OS and complain about a video game, then you can afford a video games and/or internet and have NO room to complain. If you work so hard for your money then why waste it on a game that you dont like every year w/o doing the research to see if you'd like it? Nobody is forcing you to buy it, so dont. If you buy it, just like any other game, and are not happy then it's YOUR fault. Dont blame the people who make it, dont blame the people who enjoy it, just suck it up and bite the bullet. Yes Madden has been subpar, i actually liked M10, but if you aren't satisfied after 5 yrs on current gen, stop buying it and stop complaining. Most Definitely dont blame or curse anybody else for what you choose to do with your money...its just a game...might be your passion, but its just a game. Either buy it or don't...JMHO
THIS.

I'd be disappointed if he returned to posting regularly. It would be a sign, IMO, of some kind of mental illness. No sane adult would choose to, in their own free time, and of their own free will, put up with the kind of relentlessly juvenile inanity that he was subject to last year.

I haven't bought NCAA or Madden in either of the last two years. They haven't got the job done in the Franchise/Dynasty and gameplay/A.I. areas, so they didn't get my money. No personal animus against the company or any developer, no childish histrionics, just no purchase.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »