Home

ea should bring back the old-gen controller configuration its way better than the new

This is a discussion on ea should bring back the old-gen controller configuration its way better than the new within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: ea should bring back the old-gen controller configuration its way better than the

BrianFifaFan,

I am sure that both games play great, my point is the complexities of football, spin, dive, hurdle, spin, cut-moves, jukes and on and on - have not been captured by the analog sticks - there are too many moves to map them to the two sticks. And with each move there are varying degrees and sublte differences within each - to date EA has failed in a big way on this gen to capture the subtle differences and give the user some sense of control over what you are attempting.

Fight Night I have played - and for that sport the analog controls are adequate - they are not for football - which isn't even the point.

Even if the analog controls are the "best" way to play a game, would it hurt EA's bottom line to allow more than one way to control your players??? No it wouldn't and I know lots of people who hate the new controls and the fact that the pressure sensitive input was not expanded upon. I keep at this so much because I know people who don't play anymore because the game feels "pre-canned" like you just hit a button and the game "decides" how the move is performed. I have no problem playing the game with the new controls - but the old way was superior in the level of control it allowed the user.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: ea should bring back the old-gen controller configuration its way better than the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83
Was there a reason we don't have custom controls available yet?
I would love to answer that one, but i dont think it would sound good no matter how i say it.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #35
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
BrianFifaFan,

I am sure that both games play great, my point is the complexities of football, spin, dive, hurdle, spin, cut-moves, jukes and on and on - have not been captured by the analog sticks - there are too many moves to map them to the two sticks. And with each move there are varying degrees and sublte differences within each - to date EA has failed in a big way on this gen to capture the subtle differences and give the user some sense of control over what you are attempting.

Fight Night I have played - and for that sport the analog controls are adequate - they are not for football - which isn't even the point.

Even if the analog controls are the "best" way to play a game, would it hurt EA's bottom line to allow more than one way to control your players??? No it wouldn't and I know lots of people who hate the new controls and the fact that the pressure sensitive input was not expanded upon. I keep at this so much because I know people who don't play anymore because the game feels "pre-canned" like you just hit a button and the game "decides" how the move is performed. I have no problem playing the game with the new controls - but the old way was superior in the level of control it allowed the user.
I think that where, if you haven't played Fifa, you'll not be able to really grasp this. The RS isn't just four moves anymore. It's any number of moves based on where you start a move and where you end it. Think MLB2k's pitching, if you've played it. Of course Madden is goning to be pretty simplistic starting out. But if you spin the RS, you're gonna do a Spin move. If you throw it back and forth, shake move, etc. There is no limit pretty much to the control you can have. You said you played FN. Then you alrady know how it can work to simulate a real punch. Of course it won't really be totally accurate, but it'll be the most intuitive scheme to date. It's just gonna be about learning curve. So the guys who complain about the controls really should be excited about this. Unless it's just about the old comfort zone.... IMO, I don't want to go back. That's like saying I want to go back to a Genesis 3-button setup. That was predetermined. Now I've got a 10-button controller. I want to use all of them. Just see how this turns out, with the new vision. I've been preaching Fifa as the greatest gaming experience this gen. Trust me, it it. And everything that has gotten them to the top of the ladder is gonna bring this game back to glory...

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #36
Banned

BrianFifaFan,

I don't doubt you for fifa. I wonder if you would read my thread that I linked earlier ion this thread. Then maybe you will understand the level of complexity I am looking for using all 10 buttons plus the "dual-stick" controls!

Let me know if that clears up where I think we are missing each other on "wave length" for lack of a better phrase.

Actually here is the link again; Total Control and Responsiveness
Old 05-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #37
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
BrianFifaFan,

I don't doubt you for fifa. I wonder if you would read my thread that I linked earlier ion this thread. Then maybe you will understand the level of complexity I am looking for using all 10 buttons plus the "dual-stick" controls!

Let me know if that clears up where I think we are missing each other on "wave length" for lack of a better phrase.

Actually here is the link again; Total Control and Responsiveness
I read it. I think we're closer on things that you think. I'm just a proponent of the things you want being all mapped to the right stick, as opposed to pressure sensitive button moves. You've just gotta try Fifa to fully understand. They've got about 15 skill moves and multiple celebrations that they've figured out how to be mapped to the RS. Of course there is a big learning curve to be able to effectively pull them off in game. All of your moves you are asking for could be pulled off in game using just the RS. It's just like Fight Night, you've just gotta remember the difference between a Right hook and a jab, etc. Trust me, once people really get used to spinning and poking the RS around, it will be the thing that brings the "wow" factor back to Madden's gameplay. Wait for the demo, I'm thinking you'll really feel me more then. Of course, it'll be kinda barebones. But I really think you'll have a new appreciation for what I'm saying. Peace!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #38
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

in fifa you got a whole crap load of move you can pull off, plus based on the level of player, they use the all the shoulder buttons to help do the moves, and face button are different tackles and passes. its really cool , but takes a while to get used to and know what your doing. if madden going this direction we will prob end up with specialized moves for certain type of players
Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #39
Banned

Big learning curve!
So much for the casual gamer focus I guess.

I don't care if they go that route, just think there are to many moves for them to map the all to the stick and give you any sense of actual control.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #40
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Big learning curve!
So much for the casual gamer focus I guess.

I don't care if they go that route, just think there are to many moves for them to map the all to the stick and give you any sense of actual control.
Play Skate, where everything is mapped to the right stick, and I think you'll realize what the right stick can really do and how fun it can make a game.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »