Home

Passing moved to the right stick

This is a discussion on Passing moved to the right stick within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #33
Rookie

Wolverines05's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Passing moved to the right stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Only1LT Yes here is a video of what your asking. NFL fever had it and it is a nice feature, and much more of a reflection of how good you really are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eALSNYDha4U

Check it out
This actually looks way better than I had thought, and I would love it if this were in the game. Anything that adds complete user control (with a ratings system that still effects how effective you can be) is not only more fun and intuitive, but also separates good from bad gamers.

Although i don't expect this to be in this years game, hopefully the new locomotion system gives you the same level of control.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #34
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Only1LT Yes here is a video of what your asking. NFL fever had it and it is a nice feature, and much more of a reflection of how good you really are.

Check it out
this is what i was talking about not NFL Blitz , but this this would be the ultimate right here
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #35
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Wow. Total control passing. Back of the box feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #36
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
This actually looks way better than I had thought, and I would love it if this were in the game. Anything that adds complete user control (with a ratings system that still effects how effective you can be) is not only more fun and intuitive, but also separates good from bad gamers.

Although i don't expect this to be in this years game, hopefully the new locomotion system gives you the same level of control.
I would love to give it a go also. It really would separate the good players from the bad, but I think only the good players would stick with it. While the bad ones will option to more of the classic way of passing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
this is what i was talking about not NFL Blitz , but this this would be the ultimate right here
I'm glad I can help

I only remembered it because someone in this forum once showed this video, and I remembered. Once Only1LT expressed his idea I thought of this video.

It is a creative concept.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I wouldn't mind this as an option but I'd probably not buy the game if it was the only way to play.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #38
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
What I really have been clamoring to see, is even more complicated than your idea, so I'm sure that most people will balk lol, but I think it would be awesome. I want to see cursor based passing.
Interesting idea - only thing is...there's no difference between QBs. Yeah, I get it, you're the QB, etc etc - but I shouldn't have the same level of control with Russell as I do Brees. I mean if "I'm the QB" that means, "I'm Russell". So why should I, as Russell, have the same passing control as I, as Brees? Should it not be based on the QB himself? Otherwise, if Russell as good as Brees - how would that be realistic?

I'm not a FPS player - never played one in my life, literally. I've always been a RPG and Turn-based Strategy gamer (as well as a board gamer). Now, I can play some RTS as long as they aren't super twitch and micro-fests (like K2 or Demigod are ones I can handle, Warcraft 3, not as much) - so this would be a pretty big adjustment. Doesn't help I'm more of a text-simmer in sports games anyway.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept - as long as the cursor isn't super slow at moving around, and there's some impact of the QB's actual skill level. Things like this are probably easier for baseball games because baseball is a MUCH slower-paced sport.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #39
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Interesting idea - only thing is...there's no difference between QBs. Yeah, I get it, you're the QB, etc etc - but I shouldn't have the same level of control with Russell as I do Brees. I mean if "I'm the QB" that means, "I'm Russell". So why should I, as Russell, have the same passing control as I, as Brees? Should it not be based on the QB himself? Otherwise, if Russell as good as Brees - how would that be realistic?

I'm not a FPS player - never played one in my life, literally. I've always been a RPG and Turn-based Strategy gamer (as well as a board gamer). Now, I can play some RTS as long as they aren't super twitch and micro-fests (like K2 or Demigod are ones I can handle, Warcraft 3, not as much) - so this would be a pretty big adjustment. Doesn't help I'm more of a text-simmer in sports games anyway.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept - as long as the cursor isn't super slow at moving around, and there's some impact of the QB's actual skill level. Things like this are probably easier for baseball games because baseball is a MUCH slower-paced sport.
What would make Russell different from the Peyton's of the world would be the accuracy and composure rating. Like I said before you have the cursor. Where ever the cursor is, that's where the ball goes, for the most part. The cursor could be a small circle on the field. If you are an accurate QB like Peyton, then the ball will be placed pretty much on center. If you are an inaccurate QB, then the ball will be off center of the target to varying degrees based on your accuracy rating and the situation.

You would also have a composure rating that would make even the Peyton's of the world passes be off center to varying degrees, depending on situation, like being pressured.

As far as the speed of the cursor, you could tie awareness to how fast it moves, with QB's with better awareness having it move faster, etc. There should still be some user options to adjust the speed of the cursor to your liking, within a player's given range. Meaning that if Peyton's cursor speed is 100 for example, if you wanted to lower it, because it is too fast for you, you should be able to, as you could do for Russell if it is also too fast, but Russell would never be able to increase his speed beyond what ever his max speed, let's say for example 70, is.

I think this is the most realistic way to feel like you are making reads, be in control to the greatest possible extent of where your passes will go, take most of the randomness out of passing and wrest control away from the AI, and simulate QB awareness in another way other than the Vision Cone. I think it would fix a lot of what is wrong with the passing game, make it more immersive, challenging, and sim like as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #40
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

Check it out
Never owned either XBOX console, so this is the first time I'm ever seeing this game. Knew it existed of course, but never seen it. Pretty impressive.

I watched the vid several times, but I don't have audio at work. Looks pretty good, but I am unsure about a couple things. I have tried to see the routes before the snap and compare that to what the receivers actually do and I am not 100% sure whether they are running the routes as drawn up, or if they are being influenced by the cursor. It looks like they are are following the routes, but I'm not 100%. If they are running their routes as drawn and then adjusting to the placement of the ball after it's thrown, then that's fine, and how I would want it to be. If they are just following the circle and ignoring the play, then that is unrealistic and arcadey, but again, I am almost 100% that they are running the route as drawn and reacting after the fact.

Second thing is I think that the window to make a catch is way too wide. He was putting the cursor some 5-10yds up field and the receiver was still making the catch without even jumping. I know that they were bullets for the most part, but still, if you have the cursor that far up field, then they should be jumping for the ball to catch it. You have to be able to throw the ball high even when it is a bullet. One of the things that Madden, and most Football games in general, gets wrong is that they think that every bullet pass has to be a low line drive. In real life it is entirely possible to throw a pass that has both arc and a lot of pace. Most Football games just give you a pass that is 5ft off the ground or 100 miles in the air with nothing in between.

For me, this is how I think that it should work. If you drill a pass and you want the ball to be in the bread basket of the receiver, then the cursor should be on the same yard line as the receiver. If it is further up the field, it would be higher and closer to the LOS, it would be lower, to varying degrees. In this way you would be able to throw over the top of a defender and complete a pass to a receiver open behind him in a zone. Too much though and you risk over throwing the receiver too and having the safety behind him pick it.

I also don't think that it is necessary to have button icons for each receiver if you are doing this. You would only need a bullet trigger and a lob trigger. Not sure what button you hit in fever to actually pass to the receiver. If you have to still hit the right face button as well as aim, then that is just redundant. But again, I can't hear the vid, so maybe he explains it. I'll watch it again when I get home.

It looks cool though, minus the issues that I mentioned. Sickeningly, this is yet another game that has better animations than Madden lol.

Last edited by Only1LT; 04-13-2010 at 01:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »