Home

Strafe Run (Sprinting)

This is a discussion on Strafe Run (Sprinting) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Strafe Run (Sprinting)

I dont really post much but follow info on the games, both madden and ncaa. After watching/reading the dual stick control post, the one thing missing and that has been missing that I think will really open things up is a sort of strafe run. To make running alot more realistic this has to be put in. As a running back my whole life and thru college, it bothers me trying to run the ball and always having to have your shoulders square in the direction your running. Now sometimes thats obviously the best but not so much in traffic and for change of direction.

For example you run through a hole and want to break to the outside away from defenders, you're not gonna turn and run with your shoulders facing diagonally towards the sideline (at least not always). You want to be able to run with your shoulders still square to the endzone as you drift towards the sideline away from defenders. This allows you to be open to the whole field still and able you to have multiple options for cuts/plants/jukes in both directions along with being more open to throw stiffarms instead of basically a quick plant if your shoulders werent square upfield. Thats just 1 offensive example. Another being backfield cuts to find holes like zone cutback plays (this would actually be HUGE for).

It can work for defense too as it has in the past but instead of just shuffling sideways also allow the defender to run at full speed diagonally with shoulders square to LOS so they can be affective stopping cutback (like LB's coming downhill stopping an outside run and cutback).

This can be mapped the same way as in the past with a simple trigger (I think it was LT and throw in the RT for full speed). This can open up alot more options for players to break off moves (which from the recent post is a point of interest this year)and also make animations smoother when used right, instead of the dreaded unrealistic pirouette turns that look ugly and almost like your zigzagging down the field.

Little note I also play Fifi and it would work a similar manner to their special moves button (also LT) where they make moves square to where they're facing but also allow for them to face upfield first and/or sprint while doing so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 50
Re: Strafe Run (Sprinting)

Wishful thinking dont you think? This idea SHOULD be in the game but probably wont get put in.
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Can't you sort of do this with the new lean thing that happens with trucking? I know its not really what it is, but visually it could please you?

― Plato
Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

It definitely should be in the game. It's just frustrating to have to run in straight lines and not be able to bend your runs. You cant bend around the edge on a toss or bend around a block being set up downfield. You have to run at angles to get where you need to go.

Think of a pick in basketball you dont run in a line at the man setting a pick then plant and go in another line around it. You bend around the man.

I guess its a combo of momentum too which isnt really in the game yet but they're working on with locomotion. If youre running towards the sideline and you wanna turn upfield without planting you're path is gonna be a curve with your momentum still taking you out as you turn up. Now you basically have to angle out then angle up which sucks...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »