Home

Madden NFL 11 Video: Drew Brees and the Saints

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Video: Drew Brees and the Saints within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Gameplay of sideline/Endzone catch!

One annoying thing was in the beginning of the video when they were huddled around Brees they were so spaced out comparing to

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 5

Damn, #99 is fast! WTF chasing down reggie bush.. jeez... i hope they still keep the speed threshold and game speed
Old 04-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #67
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8

I think the more recent NCAA and Madden vids look pretty good overall. One thing that still stands out animation wise is the need to have different running types to differentiate between fast guys with long strides and ones with shorter quicker strides. Everybody just looks like they're gliding.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #68
Rookie

radatdude2's Arena

the block by Reggie after the play action was pretty good
Old 04-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #69
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Things I do and do not like about this video:

@ about 0:57 the saints call a run play where the FB is told to lead away from the play to decive the defense. When you watch, the safety and a few backside players correctly try and key off of the FB and the initial move of the RB. As a result they are decived. We also see a double team block on one of the DTs. We see the play is supposed to go between the tackle and guard in the play art, and as the RB goes in that direction, the safety and LB try to pres and fill those gaps after adjusting to the misdirection. Since his lanes are filled the RB kicks outside and toward the sideline where we see a defender take a great pursuit angle and get shook right out of his shoes with a well played juke/animation and is finally brought down inside the 5.

@ about 1:26 we see a play action. the play looks nice... I just am mixed about this play. the defense doesn't really read or react to the run, but maybe that is just becasue they were not faked out by the play action. It doesn't look bad to me. They are not in man, so we can't tell on this play if there is psychic man coverage or not and the run/pass blocking on this play action doesn't appear to have psychic blockers either. We also don't see stupid linemen spining around and leting people through either.

@ about 1:42 we have a red zone play and again the defense is in zone, so no way to see man coverage. The pass blocking in this clip looks as bad as it always has. No real pocket on this play. We do, however, see that great end zone catch.

@ about 2:11 we see more of the same lack of a true pocket and classic Madden pass blocking. Again the defense is in zone and brees launches a bomb over the top of the coverage for a huge gain. This is liekly Pro mode, however, we do see locomotion really taking effect and the match up of acceleration and top speed against a CB.

@ about 2:35 we see the RT and RG double team the DE Robert Mathis who actually gets a "super win" [a term I learned from central game play at CD] {becasue he takes two linemen out of the play, trading two people for one.}

Finally @ about 3:03 we see another example of bad pass blocking/no true pcoket.

In short, from this video only, we see [in my opinion] solid pursuit, nice run blocking logic and poor pass blocking AI. I think this video is a nice example of how Madden 11 is shaping up to be better than Madden 10.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #70
Rookie

radatdude2's Arena

to me you can tell the ball carrier is using proper foot planting (looks more realistic) and im sure this is due to the new dual stick controls but the foot planting doesn't seem to be that great with the other players who don't have the ball! Does the same foot planting apply to non ball carriers ?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #71
Pro

lolfalconsbeatu's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Things I do and do not like about this video:

@ about 0:57 the saints call a run play where the FB is told to lead away from the play to decive the defense. When you watch, the safety and a few backside players correctly try and key off of the FB and the initial move of the RB. As a result they are decived. We also see a double team block on one of the DTs. We see the play is supposed to go between the tackle and guard in the play art, and as the RB goes in that direction, the safety and LB try to pres and fill those gaps after adjusting to the misdirection. Since his lanes are filled the RB kicks outside and toward the sideline where we see a defender take a great pursuit angle and get shook right out of his shoes with a well played juke/animation and is finally brought down inside the 5.

@ about 1:26 we see a play action. the play looks nice... I just am mixed about this play. the defense doesn't really read or react to the run, but maybe that is just becasue they were not faked out by the play action. It doesn't look bad to me. They are not in man, so we can't tell on this play if there is psychic man coverage or not and the run/pass blocking on this play action doesn't appear to have psychic blockers either. We also don't see stupid linemen spining around and leting people through either.

@ about 1:42 we have a red zone play and again the defense is in zone, so no way to see man coverage. The pass blocking in this clip looks as bad as it always has. No real pocket on this play. We do, however, see that great end zone catch.

@ about 2:11 we see more of the same lack of a true pocket and classic Madden pass blocking. Again the defense is in zone and brees launches a bomb over the top of the coverage for a huge gain. This is liekly Pro mode, however, we do see locomotion really taking effect and the match up of acceleration and top speed against a CB.

@ about 2:35 we see the RT and RG double team the DE Robert Mathis who actually gets a "super win" [a term I learned from central game play at CD] {becasue he takes two linemen out of the play, trading two people for one.}

Finally @ about 3:03 we see another example of bad pass blocking/no true pcoket.

In short, from this video only, we see [in my opinion] solid pursuit, nice run blocking logic and poor pass blocking AI. I think this video is a nice example of how Madden 11 is shaping up to be better than Madden 10.
I agree with most of what you said except the Bold part. Did you get a close look at how the WR really made that catch? If you watch closely, the CB Clearly breaks down while running with the WR for some reason. That does not express locomotion taking effect...thats called 'wtf just happened?' Theres no reason why (in a cover 3 zone), something happens with the animations/locomotion/physics/or whatever it was to cause the CB to Break down after playing perfect coverage to that point (Even if this is rookie or pro...just let the CB get beat, don't have him just break down while hes running with the WR...)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #72
Pro

OVR: 12

At 2:35 it looked like number 44 (Saints) just warped and then was in good position to make the block on the run. I do like the catches they are showing, but as someone posted earlier it is kind-of hard to get excited about something that should have been in the game before now. I don't mind the running, and I think the lean back and stutter steps looks pretty cool.
This franchise has alot of work to do before I spend money on it, but I do keep an open mind through the decision process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »