Home

For everyone complaining about GAMEFLOW!

This is a discussion on For everyone complaining about GAMEFLOW! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: For everyone complaining about GAMEFLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Honestly, I don't know where people get these ideas from. Sometimes I question if people even understand how Football works. Coaches don't call plays like you call them in Madden. Madden 10 and prior used a video game play calling menu. Game Plan lets you set up your own game plan like a real head coach would. Depending on down, distance, time remaining, etc coaches have a game plan. Game Flow takes that game plan and calls those plays you put into your game plan. If you don't create your own game plan, Game Flow uses the game plan EA created for each team based on their tendencies from last year, which for what I played, were very accurate.

If you want to call a specific play at a specific time there is nothing stopping you from doing that. If you don't want to use Game Flow at all, you don't have to. Before each play now or any other game mode you can choose Game Flow or Conventional play calling just like you can change your uniform and other settings.

It makes playing the game far more realistic. If some jerk online wants to call the same 3 plays all game, they still can. If you want to run your own plays against that person, you still can. If you want to have a sim experience, Game Flow helps improve that experience.

On the other hand, it also helps the new player not feel as overwhelmed and helps them call a more balanced game instead of a bunch of bombs to Randy Moss and go 4 and out. If they still want to throw bombs to randy moss, they still can, noting is stopping them.

Because of game flow, you don't have to hunt around in your play book for your plays any more. Combined with accelerated clock, it cuts down how long it takes to play a game. you run a play, see a cut scene or two, maybe a replay, press A, and come out to do it again. As long as Game Flow works as well as when I tested it, I have no problems trusting the computer to call my plays now. To flog a dead horse, in a certain situation if I want to call a specific play right now, I still can and then go back to game flow afterward.

Madden 10 has a series of problems. From suction blocking to the warp, to what ever... Game Flow doesn't have anytihng to do with those "in game" problems and I cannot comment on them for Madden 11. However, when it comes to play calling by the user and the computer, I really like what Game Flow and Game Plan bring to the Madden Franchise and video game football.

Keep in mind we are still playing a video game. Sim Gamers still like accelerated clock, though there is nothing realistic about a bend in time and space that warps a clock forward. Yet accelerate clock is actually a sim idea. It helps give the computer time of possession [ToP] and simulates how long it takes to call a play in the real NFL and get it called in the huddle, etc. Game Flow is a tool that helps simulate that play calling process. I can't understand why people don't like this idea, now that they know more about it. Maybe you just have to play it...
Thank you for this post. I wasn't for or against it because I didn't know exactly what it was, but now I am definently for this.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Pro

NoTiCe_O's Arena

OVR: 11

As soon as I saw the Debut trailer Gameplan/Gameflow was the thing that stuck out to me. I play alot of online and i always go in with a "Mental" gameplan, but for me to be able to actually set up my gameplan is whats been missing.

Not to mention, the CPU will playcall much more realistically in Franchise mode, and goin up against different coaches you'll be able to see and feel the dif.

Its a welcome addition to me.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 32

Hope we can take our game plans online.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 50

PLAYBOOK FTW!!!!!!!
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 04-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 13

OK, so if you are playing someone in the same room, does it show you the play art? or name of the play? or is Game Flow only for online and vs the CPU?

When you say I can customize the gameplan, how detailed is it? Can I leave plays from the playbook completely out by not "picking them" as part of my game plan?

You know this might be cool for CPU games if I can have a good amount of control over the plays in the game plan, would be cool to have "game plan saves" so I could develop a couple different ones and switch them out based on my perception of match-ups with certain teams.

But, I still say that custom playbooks are needed where I pretty much design my playbook from scratch by picking what formations I want to run, picking the plays within them, and being able to customize the "assignments" by choosing from all the assignments that the game allows for - in other words I am not looking for custom routes!

It is so frustrating to to be limited to the Madden playbooks because they prevent you from running a system. All the playbooks have the same plays for the most part with just different formations and it drives me crazy to not have this one play I really like, because the rest of the pre-made playbook sucks.

Defense is really annoying, especially if you want to run a 3-4 with any sense of running it the way it should be run - and yea I know it doesn't exactly work right anyway, but the assignments they have in some of the 3-4 playbooks are just dumb!
Old 04-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #14
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know where people get these ideas from. Sometimes I question if people even understand how Football works. Coaches don't call plays like you call them in Madden.
Agreed, but coaches also scout their opponents so there is a reason they put together their play calls. We don't do that in a video football game. We make our plays based on what we are seeing on the field in real time. I agree it's more realistic, in that it matches the real world, but I don't think it matches how veteran players will want to play the game.

I personally don't want to use it.

Last year Madden 10's AI was so horrendous that I was forced to play via Beginner play calling just to get a fair game of Madden. This resulted in my inability to pick/choose a play. Note that I felt 'forced' to do this in order to get a fair game against the AI. My hopes for Madden 11 was that the AI would be better tuned to the point to present a reasonable challenge, and that on harder levels they would call plays that better matched up against my offense/defensive calls. That doesn't seem to be the case however.

Quote:
If you want to call a specific play at a specific time there is nothing stopping you from doing that. If you don't want to use Game Flow at all, you don't have to. Before each play now or any other game mode you can choose Game Flow or Conventional play calling just like you can change your uniform and other settings.
Can we turn it off in a menu so we don't have to use it at all?

Quote:
Because of game flow, you don't have to hunt around in your play book for your plays any more.
But you still can't organize the playbook the way you wanted, which is what the fans wanted.

Quote:
Combined with accelerated clock, it cuts down how long it takes to play a game.
I can attest to that. I played a full season one night on Beginner mode, which is basically the same thing as GameFlow (AskMadden). Games ran roughly 40 minutes on 15 minutes with 25 second runoffs. Never quite hit the 30 minute mark.

Quote:
I can't understand why people don't like this idea, now that they know more about it.
I'm only speaking for myself, but it still sounds like what AskMadden should have always been (with the ability to setup Madden's answers for yourself). After playing Beginner all last year, I have no desire to play via this new feature. I might be an outlier though due to using the Beginner play calling approach for my offline franchises.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #15
All Star

OVR: 33

This is analagous to people complaining about the CERN Hadron Collider. They don't know what it does, but they sure as hell don't like it. Scientist should be spending money on curing cancer -- and not furthering our understanding of the universe.

This is the same. How can you complain about something you don't understand. You may have sort of idea, but you don't really know. (Like how people think the hadron collider can create a black hole that can destroy the earth. lol.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 02:41 AM   #16
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

I mean...well wow PGaither84...Now That's....THAT'S a summary one can be impressed with...Hey where is my "no worries" hat at???

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »