Home

For everyone complaining about GAMEFLOW!

This is a discussion on For everyone complaining about GAMEFLOW! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #17
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: For everyone complaining about GAMEFLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Honestly, I don't know where people get these ideas from. Sometimes I question if people even understand how Football works. Coaches don't call plays like you call them in Madden. Madden 10 and prior used a video game play calling menu. Game Plan lets you set up your own game plan like a real head coach would. Depending on down, distance, time remaining, etc coaches have a game plan. Game Flow takes that game plan and calls those plays you put into your game plan. If you don't create your own game plan, Game Flow uses the game plan EA created for each team based on their tendencies from last year, which for what I played, were very accurate.

If you want to call a specific play at a specific time there is nothing stopping you from doing that. If you don't want to use Game Flow at all, you don't have to. Before each play now or any other game mode you can choose Game Flow or Conventional play calling just like you can change your uniform and other settings.

It makes playing the game far more realistic. If some jerk online wants to call the same 3 plays all game, they still can. If you want to run your own plays against that person, you still can. If you want to have a sim experience, Game Flow helps improve that experience.

On the other hand, it also helps the new player not feel as overwhelmed and helps them call a more balanced game instead of a bunch of bombs to Randy Moss and go 4 and out. If they still want to throw bombs to randy moss, they still can, noting is stopping them.

Because of game flow, you don't have to hunt around in your play book for your plays any more. Combined with accelerated clock, it cuts down how long it takes to play a game. you run a play, see a cut scene or two, maybe a replay, press A, and come out to do it again. As long as Game Flow works as well as when I tested it, I have no problems trusting the computer to call my plays now. To flog a dead horse, in a certain situation if I want to call a specific play right now, I still can and then go back to game flow afterward.

Madden 10 has a series of problems. From suction blocking to the warp, to what ever... Game Flow doesn't have anytihng to do with those "in game" problems and I cannot comment on them for Madden 11. However, when it comes to play calling by the user and the computer, I really like what Game Flow and Game Plan bring to the Madden Franchise and video game football.

Keep in mind we are still playing a video game. Sim Gamers still like accelerated clock, though there is nothing realistic about a bend in time and space that warps a clock forward. Yet accelerate clock is actually a sim idea. It helps give the computer time of possession [ToP] and simulates how long it takes to call a play in the real NFL and get it called in the huddle, etc. Game Flow is a tool that helps simulate that play calling process. I can't understand why people don't like this idea, now that they know more about it. Maybe you just have to play it...
Thank you for this breakdown. I had a different idea as to how this feature was implemented, but Im very happy with what you stated. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
Thank you for this post. I wasn't for or against it because I didn't know exactly what it was, but now I am definently for this.
same here. I am definitely for this
Old 04-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #18
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

@boregard

I have tried to explain things as we have seen them in the video and my own experience with out giving away anytihng that hasn't been talked about about the feature. I an said it could be turned off/avoided, I confirmed that. Drew Brees talked about Game Plan, I just confirmed that. The video talked and showed Game Flow in action for the user in game. I confirmed that. Then I just talked about how well it was working for me and my opinion on why it is good for sim gamers.

I say all of this because I cannot talk about anything else other than what has already been talked about. I'm sorry.

@43chargers4now

I never said that. I cannot confirm or deny that. I'm sorry.

@Valdarez

I respect that. I just think you should try it before you rite it off. If you don't like it, that's cool.

---

To the rest of you, no, thank you. I'm just want to be helpful, but I don't want to get myself in trouble at the same time. I try and watch the videos and official postings over and over again along with editing my posts so I don't cross that line. I don't think it is against the rules to give examples of my experience with the feature when it only regards to what I can talk about, the same goes with my personal opinions.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #19
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

The reason we can't say too much about Game Flow in particular is because I really don't think we saw the final product. I think it's going to be improved dramatically from what we played with.

What I can say is that this is not a feature with "potential if they do it right", it's a feature I'll get a lot of mileage out of as-is. I love it, and for two big reasons...

1. It's as sim as you get. Create a game plan, select that game plan entering a game, and you've already made your decisions. NFL Coaches call their plays on Monday, not Sunday. The week is spent practicing the game plan. Even beyond the opening script, there is still a list of plays for every possible scenario.

2. Cuts game time by close to half. This allows me finally to pick up the controller when I'm on a deadline. I can play this game like I do NHL... Hey, gotta go to work soon, might as well get in a quick franchise game. Never could do that with Madden before, now I can.

Plus there is one nice little aspect of the feature that is really cool and is going to please a lot of sim guys. I'll just leave that teaser... not sure if I can mention it yet.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #20
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
The reason we can't say too much about Game Flow in particular is because I really don't think we saw the final product. I think it's going to be improved dramatically from what we played with.

What I can say is that this is not a feature with "potential if they do it right", it's a feature I'll get a lot of mileage out of as-is. I love it, and for two big reasons...

1. It's as sim as you get. Create a game plan, select that game plan entering a game, and you've already made your decisions. NFL Coaches call their plays on Monday, not Sunday. The week is spent practicing the game plan. Even beyond the opening script, there is still a list of plays for every possible scenario.

2. Cuts game time by close to half. This allows me finally to pick up the controller when I'm on a deadline. I can play this game like I do NHL... Hey, gotta go to work soon, might as well get in a quick franchise game. Never could do that with Madden before, now I can.

Plus there is one nice little aspect of the feature that is really cool and is going to please a lot of sim guys. I'll just leave that teaser... not sure if I can mention it yet.
This sounds fantastic! Color me aquamarine!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 10

valdaze.......how in the world is it anything like askmadden when you are the one who put the plays in the gameplan?from what i can see this is the thing ppl have been asking for years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #22
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
This sounds fantastic! Color me aquamarine!
But I'm terribly partial to periwinkle blue.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez

I personally don't want to use it.

Last year Madden 10's AI was so horrendous that I was forced to play via Beginner play calling just to get a fair game of Madden. This resulted in my inability to pick/choose a play. Note that I felt 'forced' to do this in order to get a fair game against the AI. My hopes for Madden 11 was that the AI would be better tuned to the point to present a reasonable challenge, and that on harder levels they would call plays that better matched up against my offense/defensive calls. That doesn't seem to be the case however.

But you still can't organize the playbook the way you wanted, which is what the fans wanted.

I'm only speaking for myself, but it still sounds like what AskMadden should have always been (with the ability to setup Madden's answers for yourself). After playing Beginner all last year, I have no desire to play via this new feature. I might be an outlier though due to using the Beginner play calling approach for my offline franchises.
I'll touch on these points.

I agree that Madden 10's A.I. wasn't up to snuff or par, but based what PGaither said and A.J., it sounds like Madden 11 A.I. is much better or improved based off the tendencies of the respective teams play calling on different down and yardage's. I'm going to go with the veteran players of Madden at CD. I consider myself a veteran player as well, but I'm willing to check this feature out before I reject it.

Football is a game of chess and to match your teams tendency's with the opposing teams tendency's.

That is exactly the direction I want Madden to head into.

My games would definitely take one hour to play. My family will be very happy with this feature if I decide Madden is the game this year.

I'm starting to feel a bit better since the 1st trailer that came out.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 29

Is there actually AUDIO from the "coach" when the play comes in?

This is all great and wonderful but I just hope they add to other modes that aren't online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »