Home

Madden 10 help please

This is a discussion on Madden 10 help please within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Madden 10 help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I like the formations and the plays out of those formations. While it isn't an ideal playbook for me [I sure miss being able to use Madden 09's Pass balanced playbook or Madden 08's Patriots playbook, it has a lot of the same things I like to run.

I like to call a lot of two TE formations and get the big guys involved in the passing game. I rarely use 4 wide. I us the slot a lot, but I prefer to use two TEs more than a slot WR. It's not that it's better than any other playboo, it just better fits my play style.

Run the ball, set up the play action and use short and medium range passes to move the ball down field. Run a lot of plays, control the clock, rest your defense, tire theirs out. Hit them with a deep ball every so often to keep them honest. Use motion and other tricks to keep them guessing.

Don't be afraid to run the ball on 2ed or 3rd and long. Often you'll catch them off guard the first time and after that, they can't just sit back in pass D.

In the end though, imo, madden 10 isn't a very good game to try and play competitively. There are far too amny flaws in the game to do that and really feel like the beter player won.
I agree about the flaws. most people exploit flaws instead of actually trying to be good
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #18
EA Game Changer

KOACHK's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthieOne
I agree about the flaws. most people exploit flaws instead of actually trying to be good
There's definitely flaws in Madden 10; but the fact is that no video game will ever be perfect. Once you understand what those flaws are, and what to do to counter opponents trying to exploit them, that's when a game of Madden becomes that gridiron chessmatch we all love. Madden is a very fun when played competetively; you just have to be willing to take some losses in the beginning, but make sure you learn from them. A play/practice/play/practice approach to Madden (or any game for that matter) will help you improve your game; but like anything else, you just have to be a little consistent with it.
@K0ACHK ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/K0ACHK
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
-Michael Jordan
Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOACHK
There's definitely flaws in Madden 10; but the fact is that no video game will ever be perfect. Once you understand what those flaws are, and what to do to counter opponents trying to exploit them, that's when a game of Madden becomes that gridiron chessmatch we all love. Madden is a very fun when played competetively; you just have to be willing to take some losses in the beginning, but make sure you learn from them. A play/practice/play/practice approach to Madden (or any game for that matter) will help you improve your game; but like anything else, you just have to be a little consistent with it.
That isn't even what I am talking about. While I agree to an extent, Madden 10's flaws go beyond the "not every game is perfect" argument. M10 is the first madden game in a long time [the only one I can remember] that had terrible pursuit angles. Angles as bad as NCAA. You don't have to do exploits to have the defense pursue poorly, they do it by themselves. Also, there are lots of long standing flaws in blocking and WR/DB interactions that also have nothing to do with exploiting the game. Football isn't and EAsy sport to turn into a video game, however, just because EA has a hard time doing it doesn't mean core elements of football can't be done right. As of Madden 10, even EA did a better job at making football games on the PS2 era. I like where M11 is going, but I'm still going to wait until after Aug 10th to pass judgment. I haven't really been ableto enjoy next gen football at all [yes, I am one of those who thinks 2k8 is worse than 2k5, and not just because of the NFL license.]
Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
EA Game Changer

KOACHK's Arena

Quote:
That isn't even what I am talking about. While I agree to an extent, Madden 10's flaws go beyond the "not every game is perfect" argument. M10 is the first madden game in a long time [the only one I can remember] that had terrible pursuit angles. Angles as bad as NCAA. You don't have to do exploits to have the defense pursue poorly, they do it by themselves. Also, there are lots of long standing flaws in blocking and WR/DB interactions that also have nothing to do with exploiting the game. Football isn't and EAsy sport to turn into a video game, however, just because EA has a hard time doing it doesn't mean core elements of football can't be done right. As of Madden 10, even EA did a better job at making football games on the PS2 era. I like where M11 is going, but I'm still going to wait until after Aug 10th to pass judgment. I haven't really been ableto enjoy next gen football at all [yes, I am one of those who thinks 2k8 is worse than 2k5, and not just because of the NFL license.]
Cool, that's your prerogative PG; -Just trying to help Stealthie with his question.
-Michael Jordan
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Well right now, I think I've got back some of that offensive swagger i had before i took a break from it. My nemesis, has been handing me my butt...but recently i was able to beat his twice in a row, one being a 28-0 shutout. I used the panthers vs. his cowboys. to me i think he always has the advantage he's played like 800 games compared to my 350 or so. but I still don't think i have that consistant offense that I'm trying to get. I still will call a play..they drop back in zone. which i think is god awful unrealistic..to see someone in a zone drop all the way back. like the zones in madden are not like the real nfl. its unreal how i can call a 5 wr set...just do a hail merry...and his 3-4 covers the entire field. what am i not seeing that makes it seem like everybody is always covered? I decided to use the new orleans playbook and i've been having some success. any more tips anybody can give? what are some good defensive blitzes to call that covers and applies pressure? whats a good play that gives options when it seems like everybody is covered? and why the heck are the cowboys to over-rated? i swear to god if in madden 11, they have de or dt's dropping back like corners intercepting the ball, madden 11 will be the last madden i play. I'll never understand how demarcus ware, can go 40-50 yds down the field and make plays on the ball? how is he keeping up with my 95 spd wr? why when he intercepted the ball my 95spd wr could not catch him?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #22
EA Game Changer

KOACHK's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthieOne
Well right now, I think I've got back some of that offensive swagger i had before i took a break from it. My nemesis, has been handing me my butt...but recently i was able to beat his twice in a row, one being a 28-0 shutout. I used the panthers vs. his cowboys. to me i think he always has the advantage he's played like 800 games compared to my 350 or so. but I still don't think i have that consistant offense that I'm trying to get. I still will call a play..they drop back in zone. which i think is god awful unrealistic..to see someone in a zone drop all the way back. like the zones in madden are not like the real nfl. its unreal how i can call a 5 wr set...just do a hail merry...and his 3-4 covers the entire field. what am i not seeing that makes it seem like everybody is always covered? I decided to use the new orleans playbook and i've been having some success. any more tips anybody can give? what are some good defensive blitzes to call that covers and applies pressure? whats a good play that gives options when it seems like everybody is covered? and why the heck are the cowboys to over-rated? i swear to god if in madden 11, they have de or dt's dropping back like corners intercepting the ball, madden 11 will be the last madden i play. I'll never understand how demarcus ware, can go 40-50 yds down the field and make plays on the ball? how is he keeping up with my 95 spd wr? why when he intercepted the ball my 95spd wr could not catch him?
If somoeone calls all-coverage D on you, make sure you come out in a set where you can hit them with a draw, any other inside run, or a screen. All coverage D can also be attacked by flooding one side of the defense with route combinations (flat, corner, deep, mid, etc.). Yes, there are things in this game that are way too overpowered; but there are still sound concepts that can overcome opponents trying to take advantage of them. Keep playing, and as long as what you learn are based on Xs and Os, you'll be able to apply that knowledge to any football video game you play.
-Michael Jordan
Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #23
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
If somoeone calls all-coverage D on you, make sure you come out in a set where you can hit them with a draw, any other inside run, or a screen. All coverage D can also be attacked by flooding one side of the defense with route combinations (flat, corner, deep, mid, etc.). Yes, there are things in this game that are way too overpowered; but there are still sound concepts that can overcome opponents trying to take advantage of them. Keep playing, and as long as what you learn are based on Xs and Os, you'll be able to apply that knowledge to any football video game you play.
I agree. There are X's and O's answers for everything. What makes football fun is the chess match combined with talent/execution. A player like Jare Allen forces you out of an X's and O's answer [by blocking him with your LT] and forces you to bring in someone to double or at the least chip him at the line. While this is a form of X's and O's, it is the talent that forces you to change your game instead of "getting out coached."

The problem I have is that Madden 10 will do a number of things that do not respect the X's and O's of the game, so even if you do the right thing, that doesn't mean it will work. If you are facing a team who is trying to pass rush you from the outside with edge rushers [OLBs/DEs], then you want to call Draws and screens to punish thier agressive nature. however, Draws and screens don't work right in Madden 10, and Madden 10 doesn't have nearly the amount of good screen plays Madden 09 and 08 had. [I can hardly find WR sceens in the various play books, most all are RB slip screens.]

I could go on, but I think you get the point.I just get frustrated tryign to talk X's and O's when trying to help someone play Madden better. Playing football better and playing Madden better are two differnet things. Thankfully, Ian and the Tiburon team are working hard to fix this.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #24
EA Game Changer

KOACHK's Arena

Quote:
I agree. There are X's and O's answers for everything. What makes football fun is the chess match combined with talent/execution. A player like Jare Allen forces you out of an X's and O's answer [by blocking him with your LT] and forces you to bring in someone to double or at the least chip him at the line. While this is a form of X's and O's, it is the talent that forces you to change your game instead of "getting out coached."

The problem I have is that Madden 10 will do a number of things that do not respect the X's and O's of the game, so even if you do the right thing, that doesn't mean it will work. If you are facing a team who is trying to pass rush you from the outside with edge rushers [OLBs/DEs], then you want to call Draws and screens to punish thier agressive nature. however, Draws and screens don't work right in Madden 10, and Madden 10 doesn't have nearly the amount of good screen plays Madden 09 and 08 had. [I can hardly find WR sceens in the various play books, most all are RB slip screens.]

I could go on, but I think you get the point.I just get frustrated tryign to talk X's and O's when trying to help someone play Madden better. Playing football better and playing Madden better are two differnet things. Thankfully, Ian and the Tiburon team are working hard to fix this.
If Jared Allen was that much of a problem, I'd make sure to at least have my TE blue (delay) routed, or blocking only; I would also slide protect to that side if it's clear that pressure isn't coming up the middle, or from the other side.

I agree with you PG, draws are severely underpowered in Madden 10; but certain draws have quicker handoffs than others, plus slide protecting based on what the defensive front shows sets up for better results too. A run play, screen/short pass that "works" for me is anything that picks up at least 3 yards; then it falls on getting those RAC yards.

Yes, I can see how it gets frustrating trying to counter small-brain tactics with Xs and Os, but it's still a fun game to many people, including me. Once you take away/limit someone's crutch, it's nice to see how things work out when they can't deal with basic Xs and Os.

After speaking with Phil (Frazier), Ian (Cummings), Josh (Looman), Greg (Heddlesten), Russ (Kiniry), Jeff (Ecker), and Kendall (Boyd) about Madden NFL, and NCAA Football at E3 last year, I also know that they're committed to making the best games they possibly can given the resources and time afforded to them.

Oh, and if anyone here is interested in seeing how I actually play Madden (I win some, and lose some of course), please feel free to:

Follow me (KOACHK) on Ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/compete4ever

Follow me (KOACHK) on Twitter: http://twitter.com/K0ACHK

Follow me (KOACHK) on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KOACHK?ref=name

A Tweet and Facebook post are usually sent out when one of my league games are about to be broadcast. I play in both 360 and PS3 leagues. -Enjoy!
-Michael Jordan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »