Home

Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #73
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
+1. No disrespect, but I'm surprised at the number of sim-oriented players here who like the idea of plays being called for them, even if it is from a pre-defined list established in advance, or tendecies, i.e., the "gameplan".

Unless I'm misunderstanding it. Doesn't gameflow by it's definition = plays being called for you regardless?

Trying to see through the smoke and mirrors, it almost seems like a glorified "favorites" list. I can see how that might be helpful in cutting down on time navigating to the desired play, but making the decision for you?

Most every article mentions the genesis of the idea stemming from the fact that they want to appeal to the casual gamer--no surprise there, that's the de-facto mission statement for Madden now. So it's easy to see how Gameflow stemmed from that.

Then it's said that it will also appeal to the experienced player because of the "Gameplan" aspect, i.e., the establishment of your pre-selected plays. Then, the cpu selects from your selected plays based on where you set those plays in the down and distance scenario. But it's still calling plays for you.

Are the sim-oriented players who like this idea favoring it because it relieves them of the in-game playcalling itself and would rather focus on the execution of the play?

Not knocking anyone, just trying to understand it myself.

I'll give it an honest go, but if it's what I think it might be, I'll most likely turn it off altogether. Props to EA for making it optional though.
Currently, I'm going off the advice of the CD folks. So far, everyone has liked the feature that has commented on it and these folks play a sim style game like I do.

I'm liking at this stage because I feel I can choose the plays that I want to run prior to playing the game. To me, that's similar to studying and game planning for your opponent the week prior to you play them.

I'm not saying that this feature is going to be great and like you, I will be trying it and not killing it 4 months before the game arrives on the shelves.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #74
Rookie

Dawsons_Creek's Arena

OVR: 3
Madden 11 is looking real good right now, lets just hope for a deeper franchise mode and it will be perfect!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 13

I have a question for anyone who may be able to comment;

Did anyone who has seen the game, or got to get their hands on it, notice if the WRs/DBs actually fight for the ball?

Does the way you hit the button effect which type of animation you get?

Tap = in stride animation
Press =quick jump attempt
Hold = try to get ball at highest point

That is one thing I absolutely hate about this gen - the way I press the buttons, outside of lob or bullet pass and QB slides, does nothing in the game!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard

Did anyone who has seen the game, or got to get their hands on it, notice if the WRs/DBs actually fight for the ball?

That is one thing I absolutely hate about this gen - the way I press the buttons, outside of lob or bullet pass and QB slides, does nothing in the game!!!
We are all still waiting for info on passing (ball trajectory, route based passing etc) and WR/DB interacting. Hopefully these things were atleast improved. I have a feeling they were not a major focus though..
Old 04-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
This sounds like you were underwhelmed.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #78
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:

that i would like. i think that was in 09 with the possession catch and spec catch text would pop up.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Did you play M10 last year my friend? Or at least offline? Fatigue worked fine and was customizeable (sp). Plus, it was progressive in that heavily used players would not recoup their full energy later in the game.
Yea but what I mean is will fatigue affect the players performance? Yea in Madden 10 it shows players being fatigued & subbed but it didn't drastically affect their performance if you left a tired player in the game. The only position that I noticed being affected by fatigue is Running Back (they would run slower, get injured, or fumble). My concern is will the defensive lines performance be affected if I'm sustaining long drives by running the ball? They shouldn't be able to get off blocks or get a push on the O line if they're warn down. That's something that I didn't notice in Madden 10.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #80
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
I do not understand why anyone thinks removing the "sprint" button is a good idea. The sticks on both the current gen consoles absolutely suck, they are not stiff enough or sensitive enough and this just takes more control out of the user's hands - absolutely stupid and lazy way to deal with CPU not taking proper pursuit angles.

In football, you don't always run at full speed, there are times when you are running close to it, but holding back or setting up your feet for a move and then you turn on that top gear. This makes that more difficult for the user to replicate and is the single dumbest idea ever. This isn't hockey, this is football and the analog sticks are not done well enough for this to work properly and with "sprint" being off by default that means it probally is now a turbo button instead of full sprint which it should be - dumb, dumb, dumb!!!
i agree, maybe its because i dont play online so i dont notice a need for change. I dont just hold down sprint all the time but once you get into the open field or if you see a hole you want to burst through you use the sprint button because in real life you can kick it into another gear when you need to. I trust myself determining when those right times to kick it to that other gear are instead of trusting it based on a rating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »