Home

Defensive Ends and OLB's

This is a discussion on Defensive Ends and OLB's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #57
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Defensive Ends and OLB's

There is currently no real upfield pass rush...but it is MUCH, MUCH better on fast.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #58
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Give me this

I'm really starting to take this issue to heart. I don't want to say I do not want to play the game if this is not addressed, but I'm on the verge of saying it. I don't want to go into another gaming year with the mindset that ohhh boy, I gotta blitz everything just to be competitive. I hate that mindset. Btw, the only thing I would change about this video is Kindle in a Ravens uniform and Big Ben standing in for Potts LOL
I want this type of physicality in Madden too!! I LOVE IT!!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #59
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Against Play Action I want to see this.

Notice Sizzle still has the awareness to not go after the running back - which basically EVERY defensive player in Madden goes after the HB. Suggs has the awareness to continue to the QB.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #60
Banned

OVR: 10

I totally agree, pass blocking and rushing was horrible last year, especially against the cpu. This is core fundamentals and if its not fixed, its going to be another frustrating year for playing madden. I thought Ian said that this is a priority for this year? Its still early, but im concerned about this, the cutscreen issue and Extra point not being in sequence with plays at halftime and rushed through. Its Ian second year, so he have heard our grips and opinions, he should understand what we looking for on this forum..atleast I hope.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #61
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
All you have to do is spread your DL and re blitz your DE's...Its not 100% the same but is close enough. ANd you can spread your DL anc crash them out. But they go too far out for my taste but they take away 90% of any scrambling chance from the QB
Not close enough for me. I don't want to have to do that every time I expect pass. This needs to be automated based on tendencies, down/distance, game situation, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
But the only problem with Madden 10 is that the CPU doesnt have the ability to do this themselves, so my idea is to have adaptive AI change the DE's rush (as mentioned above) on passing downs....WHich looks possible in madden 12 with the addition of gameflow this year...thats just my 2 cents
Yeah, they need to have DEs abandon the play art on passing downs.

Eventually, the defense needs to be trashed & rebuilt. There are no gap assignments, no contain assignments, no fill the alley AI, no outside in AI, ect.

I can't wait until they stop band-aiding the game and fix it.

Quote:
While all of that is true, we need a simple solution. And that solution would be to give the user the call. Maybe they can add it to game flow I don't know. So on 3rd and 8 you tell your DE's to peel their ears back and go. They have to address this vs the way it is right now. We need more options than the way it is right now. And yes, off tackle runs would be money. That's the point. A guy can't be responsible for 3 things at once. That's the problem with the game now. They try to make 1 guy do multiple things at the same time and things that should be there for the taking are not.
I don't want to be responsible for telling my DEs to rush the passer. This needs to be automated, relying on the DE's tendencies & play recognition, down & distance, game situation, ect. Adding another hot route option is a band-aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
Valderez,
Any chance we get this noticed by EA and they can work on it between now and release or do you think we are looking at M12 based on what you are seeing from NCAA11?
They know. Me, LBz & some others mentioned this at last year's CD. And I begged again this year. We'll see.

Quote:
I'm really starting to take this issue to heart. I don't want to say I do not want to play the game if this is not addressed, but I'm on the verge of saying it.
Same. I already know my #1 defensive wish is not being granted. This would probably put the icing on the cake. I can't stand playing defense in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #62
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Against Play Action I want to see this.

Notice Sizzle still has the awareness to not go after the running back - which basically EVERY defensive player in Madden goes after the HB. Suggs has the awareness to continue to the QB.
To play Devil's advocate, EVERY playaction is a long, deep animation that screws up blocking. I would like to see more flash fakes on PA.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #63
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

LBz, really couldn't agree more with everything you're saying. The PA stuff has driven me CRAZY. I can't tell you how many times I've been on defense on a 3rd and long playing some dude who throws a PA pass and my DE breaks free and goes after the HB! That is what I loved about pass/run commit. But yeah, high awareness actually mattering would solve this for sure. Situational awareness has to be taken into account as well. Unless its a draw I highly doubt anybody is running 3rd and long, unless they are trying to kill time.

Please keep bugging Ian about these issues. We'll keep bumping this thread if need be.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
To play Devil's advocate, EVERY playaction is a long, deep animation that screws up blocking. I would like to see more flash fakes on PA.
I agree, and to go one further - I would love to see at least a handful of different PA animations. Romo does this "body fake" thing - don't even know what to call it, but it is a very quick "half-@$$" PA fake where he doesn't even "fake" a hand off. If you have seen it - you know what I mean, if not I am at a loss to describe it.

I think variations in the PA should also have variable levels of effectiveness - and of course be related in effectiveness to the ratings of the players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »