Home

My attempt at cleaning up the mess that is Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on My attempt at cleaning up the mess that is Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #65
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: My attempt at cleaning up the mess that is Franchise Mode

Great ideas man, I agree 100%!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #66
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Madden 07 from last gen + Head Coach + 2k5's weekly prep and presnetation and we would have the best offline franchise in football gaming history.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #67
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

PACMAN I feel your pain.But they actually do have a lil segment about Super Bowl History during the Extra Point show.Before the super bowl they talk about how many the team has won and if they win the current one how many it would be.Not alot but it is there in the Extra Point.And I do realize you are talking about DURING THE GAME.
Just thought Id let you know about that in case you didnt know.Like I said I know its not much but I usually watch it it b4 and after the Super Bowl to get as much out of Franchise as I can.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Peench
Who else feels llike potential plays WAY too big of a part in progression? All these 1st rounders this year will come in presumably with A potential, like last year, and in 5 years theyll almost all be in the 90s. There were way too many players rated in the 90s 5-6 years into franchise modee than there were at the start. I think this is also due to the fact that players didn't regress proportionately.

Additionally, if I have a rookie RB rated 70 w/C potential, I put him in the right scheme with the right coaches and I make a pro bowl...WHY SHOULDNT he progress into the high 80s/90s??? This is how Donny would adjust his ratings after a year, so why can't Madden do the same? Potential is a garbage rating for most players...and shouldn't dictate progression NEARLY as much as it does (nor should it be set in stone).

So in other words you wan't to be able to draft poorly, and still turn the player into a superstar? Yeah that's a big ole fail, you have some good ideas, but I sure hope they completely ignore you on progression and potential.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #69
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDoug420
So in other words you wan't to be able to draft poorly, and still turn the player into a superstar? Yeah that's a big ole fail, you have some good ideas, but I sure hope they completely ignore you on progression and potential.
Drafting poorly? What? I'm pretty confused by what you're saying. Where did I ever imply that? Actually, I'm proposing it be much more difficult to draft well if you read my post in its entirety. Right now, I play with my housemate who writes down all the potentials of players and he never fails to get all A potential players.

What I'm proposing is to hide that potential bar, and make it less meaningful. Look at Jason Pierre-Paul. Potential? Absolutely has the potential and athleticism to be the most dominant pass rusher out of this draft class. Whether or not he FULFILLS that potential sh ould be based on other variables that ultimately are more essential to the development of a player.

For instance, JPP is going into an organization that has consistently developed elite pass rushers, so he can learn from some of these guys and be developed under some of their coaches. Also, how will Perry Fewells new scheme dictate his development? These should take precedent over the potential rating. Does this mean he should be an elite player down the road in Madden? Absolutely not. But all of these things should dictate whether or not his chances are high.

Right now in M10 you draft a player like JPP to a terrible team with terrible coaches and no history of developing pass rushers and his 79 w/A potential will ultimately (and 100% of the time) result in an elite grade. I'm not saying potential shouldn't matter, just that it should be secondary to these other variables.

On the flip side, there is absolutely no reason a player with a 75 ovr and C potential can't one day (and ON RARE OCCASION) develop into an elite player given the right circumstances and opportunity. When Tom Brady was drafted was he considered to have a high ceiling? No. He had arguably the best coaching staff in the world, a system conducive to his style of play, and a savvy veteran to sit behind and learn from. In these rare instances, mediocre players should sometimes rise into good to elite status. If you want to do this by having potential change over time, then do so. I would argue there is no need (but thats not an important argument).

Now where in the world do you figure I'm saying you can draft poorly and be rewarded for doing so? You still want to target players with high OVRs and potential, but what YOU REALLY WANT TO TARGET PLAYERS THAT FIT YOUR SCHEME/COACHING STAFF. If they have high potentials and overalls, all the better.

Comprende amigo?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Peench
Drafting poorly? What? I'm pretty confused by what you're saying. Where did I ever imply that? Actually, I'm proposing it be much more difficult to draft well if you read my post in its entirety. Right now, I play with my housemate who writes down all the potentials of players and he never fails to get all A potential players.

What I'm proposing is to hide that potential bar, and make it less meaningful. Look at Jason Pierre-Paul. Potential? Absolutely has the potential and athleticism to be the most dominant pass rusher out of this draft class. Whether or not he FULFILLS that potential sh ould be based on other variables that ultimately are more essential to the development of a player.

For instance, JPP is going into an organization that has consistently developed elite pass rushers, so he can learn from some of these guys and be developed under some of their coaches. Also, how will Perry Fewells new scheme dictate his development? These should take precedent over the potential rating. Does this mean he should be an elite player down the road in Madden? Absolutely not. But all of these things should dictate whether or not his chances are high.

Right now in M10 you draft a player like JPP to a terrible team with terrible coaches and no history of developing pass rushers and his 79 w/A potential will ultimately (and 100% of the time) result in an elite grade. I'm not saying potential shouldn't matter, just that it should be secondary to these other variables.

On the flip side, there is absolutely no reason a player with a 75 ovr and C potential can't one day (and ON RARE OCCASION) develop into an elite player given the right circumstances and opportunity. When Tom Brady was drafted was he considered to have a high ceiling? No. He had arguably the best coaching staff in the world, a system conducive to his style of play, and a savvy veteran to sit behind and learn from. In these rare instances, mediocre players should sometimes rise into good to elite status. If you want to do this by having potential change over time, then do so. I would argue there is no need (but thats not an important argument).

Now where in the world do you figure I'm saying you can draft poorly and be rewarded for doing so? You still want to target players with high OVRs and potential, but what YOU REALLY WANT TO TARGET PLAYERS THAT FIT YOUR SCHEME/COACHING STAFF. If they have high potentials and overalls, all the better.

Comprende amigo?

Dude you are asking to be able to draft a 75ovr. with C potential and by his stats be able to upgrade his potential. So in essence you could draft a scrub like Pierre Paul, play all your games that season, get 25+ sacks with him and raise him up over 80 due to performance. How do you develop guys who aren't quite good enough to start yet? I don't want to be forced into playing my rookies if I want them to develop. I have no problem with coaching staffs providing a boost, but it needs to be done like it is in Head Coach. And potential should be the main factor in progression. The way I see it is, Tom Brady had A potential all along.

Adding to this, you can absolutely turn players with C and B potential into 90+ ovr. in Madden 10.

And for the record, Mike Waufle, the coach who churned out those pass rushers. Is no longer with the Giants, he is now the d-line coach in Oakland.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #71
MVP

Buckeye's Arena

OVR: 38

Great Thread!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #72
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

All these ideas are great and everything, but it's all just hopes and dreams unless they actually do something about it this year. Have we heard ANYTHING on Madden 11's upcoming changes for franchise mode?

I have a bad feeling that all us hardcore offline franchisers will be very disappointed again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »