Home

Does defensive assignments work?

This is a discussion on Does defensive assignments work? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3
Does defensive assignments work?

Does anybody know if this really works. I am the jets and i would like to assign revis to always cover the other teams best reciever but i know there has been issues with this in the past were if players get moved around sometimes it will leave a reciever wide open.

have they improved this feature and does it work?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Rookie

DocOx's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Does defensive assignments work?

As far as I know it does work. There may be audibles and such that mess with it, but if so I haven't noticed.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

I started doing that a few days ago, but not sure it makes any difference. If the CPU wants a WR to get open and catch a pass, you could have 3 guys like Revis covering him and he'll still get the catch.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The problem with this is feature is that defenders don't come out of the huddle positioned on their assigned man.

You get situations where a CB breaks the huddle on the wrong side of the field and has to walk all the over to the other side of the field to get to where his assigned man is.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
JVM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
The problem with this is feature is that defenders don't come out of the huddle positioned on their assigned man.

You get situations where a CB breaks the huddle on the wrong side of the field and has to walk all the over to the other side of the field to get to where his assigned man is.
I can see that happening when a No Huddle is called, but shouldn't be an issue otherwise. Speaking about the No Huddle, all of a sudden, and this is like every time, after a running play fails and you called a running play defense, the CPU has a pass play with more WRs than in the running play--every single time and only when I stopped the running play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

The only true issue is you can't just assign one guy. If you assign Revis on lets say Andre Johnson, it is possible that they will have a LB trying to guard a WR. Basically if you want Revis to hold Johnson you need to make the #2 CB hold the #2 WR and so on.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
JVM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
The only true issue is you can't just assign one guy. If you assign Revis on lets say Andre Johnson, it is possible that they will have a LB trying to guard a WR. Basically if you want Revis to hold Johnson you need to make the #2 CB hold the #2 WR and so on.
When the game begins, or even during the game, you can assign DBs to specific WRs. You can assign Revis to cover Johnson, and you can assign other DBs to other Receivers. So what do you mean you can't assign one guy? I assign my 4 starting CBs to the other team's 4 starting WRs. If someone from the CPU team's non-starting lineup comes in, then he is covered automatically. Still, you're number one guy should cover the number one WR.

The thing is, no matter what you do, if the CPU wants a pass completion, bingo!

I just finished a game where the other QB threw 3 passing TDs from the 1 yard line--against my 6 DBs--all rated above 90. On one TD, the CPU's TE caught it in the middle with my MLB, catch 68, TKL 98, HPW 95, having his arms around the guy--but no fumble or dropped pass as often happens to my TE.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
The CPU doesn't really move WRs around anyway, they almost always have the #1 WR on the right (only a few unique, team specific formations flip the WRs). The #1 CB is the LCB so it usually works out that they're matched up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »