Home

Ball Trajectory

This is a discussion on Ball Trajectory within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Ball Trajectory

Ball trajectory might be my biggest gripe in current-gen madden. There is not enough control over what type of pass you want to throw. It makes plays like fade routes useless.

I really hope madden 11 puts some serious time into fixing ball trajectory. This will make the passing game much more intuitive and fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Ball Trajectory

The passing is not pressure sensitive.

Theres only two different passes. Bullet and Floater.

For their too be more control, passing needs to be pressure sensitive.

That is all.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
The passing is not pressure sensitive.

Theres only two different passes. Bullet and Floater.

For their too be more control, passing needs to be pressure sensitive.

That is all.
That's actually not true. You can actually vary the arc of the ball by holding the buttons down for different lengths of time. I'm not saying there are a multitude of variations but there are at least 1 or 2 intermediates between bullet and punt (lob).

I didn't know this until I actually (lot of actually's right lol?) saw another poster mention this. I tried it in practice and he was right.

Having said that, it still doesn't solve much. The ball placement has a lot to do with the passing game being bad as well.

Bottom line the passing game needs a total, total overhaul in my opinion, and I've thought that for ages. But being fair, what you said was not true, even if it still works poorly in spite of your statement being untrue.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

The ball has to be it's separate entity - it can't have a target force field the way it is now. Throwing a football is not easy in real life, it shouldn't be much different in the game.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Would be awesome to incorporate some kind of throwing mechanic with the stick to put touch on the pass (kind of like the different swings you can take with Tiger Woods). Even a mechanic where the trigger could be utilized would be cool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

I think fixing the passing game is as simple as allowing the user to be able to choose the exact spot on the field to throw the ball to instead of throwing to a receiver.

Give me a cursor to aim the ball and I will lead the receiver enough that he runs under it perfectly, instead of the AI doing a piss poor job of deciding. QB's most of the time DO NOT throw at a receiver. They throw at a spot on the field that they judge on the fly that the receiver will end up at the same time that the ball arrives. Why can't we do this?

Throwing at a receiver in videogame Football, to me, is archaic.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 13

It may be archaic, but if I have to use the stick to "place" the pass like you are suggesting I will retire, not that it should bother you or anything, but I am still wanting last gen controls with pressure sensitivity that was in from Maaden 2004 or 5 on, with some added variations to the moves you can do.

I am not knocking the "dual-stick" controls, but they open up the opportunity for EA to bring back last gen controls and have them available simultaneously. Not everyone is great at "stick skills" and I see no reason not to have both.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 13

And to add to that...

...if they put in an option to pass the way you are talking about - great, love it, think they should do way more stuff to allow different people to play the way they like, so added option for your passing mechanic would get my vote for sure!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »