Home

Did EA scout the defenses tendencies for what they like to do in down situations?

This is a discussion on Did EA scout the defenses tendencies for what they like to do in down situations? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 16
Re: Did EA scout the defenses tendencies for what they like to do in down situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
The bold part was only mentioned and shown so far for offensive gameplanning. For defense they have only talked about personnel situations, ie 4WR 1RB.

I hope that down and distance also play a role on defensive gameplanning but it has not been confirmed to work that way on defense yet.

I figured thats how the defense was presented in his blog about the whole gameplan feature.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 16
Re: Did EA scout the defenses tendencies for what they like to do in down situations?

OK I am officially pissed off.... Madden always put in a new feature and then it is never good into the next year. I will not use gameplan and if somebody does use it I am playing against I will eat them up. It is probably a good feature for when playing the cpu but not for playing a user. You can only call plays on defense based on the personel this will get eat up by sim players. I'm starting to think more and more that madden should be a game that is made every two years. They can't ever put a feature in the game without sayd they wasn't able to do something to make it the way it should be for that year.....

It's a shame to me

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Offense gameplans are based on situation, and defense gameplans are based on the offenses personnel

"

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Offense gameplans are based on situation, and defense gameplans are based on the offenses personnel
Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 13

^^^ Yes and to top it off you have no packages with gameflow, which totally makes the feature useless!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #36
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
That is useless IMO. A team can come out in 3 or 4 WR and either run or pass. Depending on what the other team's tendencies are that would change my play call drastically. For example if a team comes out with 4 WR and I know they have a tendency to pass, I would be more inclined to call some kind of pass defense out of the dime or nickle formation, but if the team has a tendency to run out of 4 WR, I would be more inclined to pick something that would stop the run out of the nickle or some type of zone defense with my base defense (4-3 or 3-4). Unfortunately though, this doesn't take into consideration the other teams tendencies. So if I set my gameplan up how I just said I would call my plays, gameflow may pick the base defense zone against a team with 4 WR that has a tenency to pass or pick the Dime pass defense against a team that has a tendecny to run. In other words, it'll be a crap shoot as to whether the right play gets called.

How many teams stay in a base defense in the NFL when teams come out with 4 WR's? Hell how many teams play in their base defense after first down anymore?

I get where they are going with it. I just need to see how it's implemented before I can really say anything,
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #37
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Maybe I missed something here, but I'm not liking the way this feature is shaping up. I don't want to defend against personnel as much as I'd like to defend offenisive plays.

Why can't we have a setup similar to last gen where we would get a look at an opponent's three favorite plays and make that more expansive instead of just defending personnel. The Steelers playbook, for instance, they have a formation that spreads the field to a 5 wide set, but it is out of their base personel (two backs, 2 wides, TE). I don't want to defend that out of a base 4-3.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #38
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Maybe I missed something here, but I'm not liking the way this feature is shaping up. I don't want to defend against personnel as much as I'd like to defend offenisive plays.

Why can't we have a setup similar to last gen where we would get a look at an opponent's three favorite plays and make that more expansive instead of just defending personnel. The Steelers playbook, for instance, they have a formation that spreads the field to a 5 wide set, but it is out of their base personel (two backs, 2 wides, TE). I don't want to defend that out of a base 4-3.
That's exactly how it is in real life. A defensive coordinator can only send in a defesnse based off personnel he sees, so they usually just match up. If the Steelers have base personnel on the field, you don't know if they're gonna line up in I Form or split everyone wide. That's why you usually have to come out in your base D as well.

Also, you can just go into another team's game plans before you play them and see all of their tendencies.

I think this is very realistic.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #39
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I get how real life substitutions are made, I guess I'm just wondering if the playcalling adjusts if they continue to use base personnel in a spread set.

I know that when I play the Steelers, the Chargers and a few other teams that they are going to flex out TEs and use other unsual formations out of base personnel, so I'm prepared to come out of base defense even in early downs. I guess I'm just wondering if the gameflow will do the same, not go solely on personnel but on actual plays that the offense runs.

But I see that you say that we can look at the other teams tendencies, I'm thinking that'll help out a lot.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 1

I feel this is unrealistic because offensive personnel is not the single deciding factor for defensive playcalling in the NFL. As far as madden goes, I will rarely call dime if I'm inside my own 20 yard line regardless of the number of recievers. If I'm playing a run heavy opponent, I will most likely call base D on 3rd and 1 even if has 4 WRs. I use the 46 D against 3wrs all the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »