Home

Is Madden 11 Without NFL Playbooks If so Its a Shame

This is a discussion on Is Madden 11 Without NFL Playbooks If so Its a Shame within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:57 AM   #9
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Is Madden 11 Without NFL Playbooks If so Its a Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
The offensive playbooks in Madden are realistic.
Fixed that for ya.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
The NFL playbooks in Madden are realistic.

LMAO, you MUST be joking.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:50 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

I agree about the lack of trick plays, only one I know of if the Flea Flicker. I don't mind trick plays being used as long as their aren't use as glitchy exploits for cheaters online.

PSN: xLoRd_iNFamousX1
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
LMAO, you MUST be joking.
I don't know. Personally, I've found the playbooks I've used to be pretty close to the teams I watch. Granted, I haven't really explored every one in depth then cross-checked with the real life counterpart. The problem I've noticed is that they always seem to be a year behind the curve, which can't always be helped. The Bengals, for example, last year went to a run-first offense with a lot of heavy formations, while the Madden playbook was almost unusable if you wanted to reflect how they actually played.

They still have a bunch of three receiver sets in the Madden playbook that are outdated since the loss of T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chris Henry. Truthfully, they haven't done much with the Bengals playbook since last gen. The first time I popped in 08 on PS3, I recognized just about every play from ps2 Madden 07. But I don't know if that's really their fault since the Bengals have had the same offensive coordinator since 2001.

Now watch this year Madden implements the run based offense with a lot of two tight end stuff right as Bratkowski has promised to re-design the passing game and press the ball vertical to take advantage of the new receivers.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 25

I still dont believe they ADD plays every year if at all....Sure, there are a few here and there, but for the most part they are pretty much the same they have been for several years. Are they Bad? No...I know they keep most of the plays so many wont have to "learn" a new playbook (i actually use every teams playbook based on who i am playing and who i have).

Now the Defensive playbooks on the other hand....Have they even been looked at in the last 10+ years?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I don't know. Personally, I've found the playbooks I've used to be pretty close to the teams I watch. Granted, I haven't really explored every one in depth then cross-checked with the real life counterpart. The problem I've noticed is that they always seem to be a year behind the curve, which can't always be helped. The Bengals, for example, last year went to a run-first offense with a lot of heavy formations, while the Madden playbook was almost unusable if you wanted to reflect how they actually played.

They still have a bunch of three receiver sets in the Madden playbook that are outdated since the loss of T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chris Henry. Truthfully, they haven't done much with the Bengals playbook since last gen. The first time I popped in 08 on PS3, I recognized just about every play from ps2 Madden 07. But I don't know if that's really their fault since the Bengals have had the same offensive coordinator since 2001.

Now watch this year Madden implements the run based offense with a lot of two tight end stuff right as Bratkowski has promised to re-design the passing game and press the ball vertical to take advantage of the new receivers.
Madden will always be a year behind because they are going on what teams did the year before. Poor Seattle playbooks this year they will probably be generic westcoast plays. What would be cool is if they did what NCAA Basketball 10 did and gives us new plays each week but I guess first they need to give us custom playbooks..
Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Now the Defensive playbooks on the other hand....Have they even been looked at in the last 10+ years?

Yeah, but it just looks like the 3-4 playbooks with a slight addition here or their like the prowl, predator, and last year the 4-4 and Nickel Odd Split. The 4-3 hasn't had anything added to it since... I don't know.

I know the last gen Madden I played there were subtle differences in the defensive playbooks. For instance I'd see a Middle Linebacker blitz from Dime in Del Rio's playbook that wasn't in Marvin Lewis's. Dungy and Lovie Smith, two Tampa 2 coaches, but their playbooks looked different. Smith's had more pressure packages, the Bear and this odd coverage in Nickel that I've never seen before.

I'm hoping this year they at least give us the 4-4, 5-2 and a 46 in every playbook.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 05-04-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Madden will always be a year behind because they are going on what teams did the year before. Poor Seattle playbooks this year they will probably be generic westcoast plays. What would be cool is if they did what NCAA Basketball 10 did and gives us new plays each week but I guess first they need to give us custom playbooks..
I'm thinking it might be like when Petrino from Louisville to the Falcons. That year, the playbook almost mirrored 100% what the NCAA L'ville playbook looked like the year before. I'm guessing Seattle will look a lot like last year's USC playbook.

Used to be I never sweated cutsom playbooks, but now I'm thinking it's the way to go. Being frustrated at how year-to-year things are added here and there, while some team's playbooks look like they haven't been touched, I'd like access to everything (kinda like 2k--forgive me) and let me install what I want each game. That's how real coaches do it anyway. There's a handful of base, bread and butter plays, and everything else is installed or taken out based on opponent. Just look at how Tennessee's offense changed after Young re-emerged as the starter. They started to run the option for God's sake. Man I'd love that kinda freedom in the game. I know Mike Martz, used to install something like 300 new plays per week.

Hopefully, the gameflow thing will help some of this along.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 05-04-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »