Home

3-4 block shed v 4-3 block shed...WTF really???

This is a discussion on 3-4 block shed v 4-3 block shed...WTF really??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: 3-4 block shed v 4-3 block shed...WTF really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
sorry, some players get off blocks better than others. the things you mentioned are certainly important, but gap-control style defenders that are good don't stay blocked for long.
Yea those players are better at getting off blocks because they know how to play with better leverage and better positioning.

NFL players dont work on "Block Shedding" As a football player you put urself in position so that you dont get blocked. And if you do get blocked u work to get unblocked by movement and hand work. not by merely throwing the guy aside or dis engageing like in Madden
NHL- Blackhawks
Soccer- Eh
Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCrap
Yea those players are better at getting off blocks because they know how to play with better leverage and better positioning.

NFL players dont work on "Block Shedding" As a football player you put urself in position so that you dont get blocked. And if you do get blocked u work to get unblocked by movement and hand work. not by merely throwing the guy aside or dis engageing like in Madden
So how do you account for that in video games? That's what ratings are for, accounting for what happens in real life.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
Haha it looks like they are putting the ratings levels backup this year. Funny last year they lower them and now they are going back up on them. HEhe!!
Those are last year's ratings
Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCrap

Dude, any DL coach (NFL included) who doesn't work on getting separation after contact won't have a job for long. You don't consider "hand work" shedding a block? What do you call it, block avoidance? There are some pretty damn good interior linemen who play with terrible leverage on many downs, but who still don't stay blocked. Anyway, its all just semantics, I guess.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17

Wow Jonny Jolly @ 95 bks???
swweeeeeetttt...thanks donny. lol
Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falzon
Wow Jonny Jolly @ 95 bks???
swweeeeeetttt...thanks donny. lol
These aren't new ratings...these are from M10...and yea he should be more like 75
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #23
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_noob
I think they should do a way with Finesse/Power moves and BSH. They should have a Pass Rush and a Run Stuff rating.

A high run stuff rating means they hold a good point of attack and are just in general good against the run; these players would normally have high strength and awareness ratings as well.

For pass rushing they could have power/finesse if they wanted to keep them but they should only apply for pass rushing then. If not they could base whether or not a player is good at bull rushing or spinning by looking at strength and agility/spin.
Sounds like you favor the attributes system that APF 2k8 had, which isn't a bad thing. At this point I'm all for trying something new and maybe getting rid of ratings in favor of player roles and special attributes. That might move the game towards more realism instead of allowing 75 OVR receiver with 99 speed to dominate a game or a low rated linemen with 95 strength, etc.

The weapons system that was implemented a few years ago tried to touch on this but IMO it never worked properly.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #24
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Sounds like you favor the attributes system that APF 2k8 had, which isn't a bad thing. At this point I'm all for trying something new and maybe getting rid of ratings in favor of player roles and special attributes. That might move the game towards more realism instead of allowing 75 OVR receiver with 99 speed to dominate a game or a low rated linemen with 95 strength, etc.

The weapons system that was implemented a few years ago tried to touch on this but IMO it never worked properly.
How about a CB with 52 PRS(press) locking up a 89 RLS(release) WR...oh and while i'm on that have you guys noticed how in the player management menu they label RLS as "release" but when your in a game RLS is labeled as "break press"...funny huh

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »