Home

3-4 block shed v 4-3 block shed...WTF really???

This is a discussion on 3-4 block shed v 4-3 block shed...WTF really??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: 3-4 block shed v 4-3 block shed...WTF really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Just came in to agree with the OP. Wow! I haven't looked at the ratings in a few years. No wonder.

They definitely need to at least redifine the ratings. Block shedding needs to be for defending the run. Pass rush should be for, well pass rushing. But then they would need to either add a specific shed move or let the effectiveness of defensive moves be determined by the offense passing or running.

But there's so much to fix with this game. I can see why they have a hard time. Freeney, for example, is not a run stopper, so I can see not wanting to give him a higher shed rating. But he needs something that allows him to rush. But the AI and animations are not there either, so I'm not sure if it makes a difference.
Block shed rating is for defending the run. Pass rush is for pass rushing.
What's the problem with the ratings?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #34
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieh
Block shed rating is for defending the run. Pass rush is for pass rushing.
What's the problem with the ratings?

Block shed if for any time a defender is being blocked, run or pass.

There is no "pass rush" rating.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Block shed if for any time a defender is being blocked, run or pass.

There is no "pass rush" rating.
Block shed is for getting off run blocks only.
"power moves" and "finesse moves" are the ratings for beating pass block - the pass rush rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #36
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieh
Block shed is for getting off run blocks only.
"power moves" and "finesse moves" are the ratings for beating pass block - the pass rush rating.
This is an explanation from NCAA Strategies. Both Madden and NCAA work the same way:

Originally Posted by Wisey105
Ok, sorry for the bit of a delay. This past week has been pretty busy. We are getting to the busiest time of the year for us right now; even more so for me.

So, let me try to answer some of the questions I’ve seen. As always, if I am not as sure if I can say something, I am going to err on the side of caution and not say it.

Earlier I mentioned RBK and PBK (Run Block and Pass Block) were used more for the sim logic. I looked a little more into it and even though they are more used in Sim logic, they are also used in game. So, to clear it up, RBK and PBK are used to help get into position to block and how long the block will be held. RBS, RBF, PBS, PBF are used to determine if a move [Footwork vs. FMV / Strength vs. PMV] by the defender will be successful.

Next, the Question I got on the Block Shedding rating. Is it used for blocks on the line or in the open field? The answer is BOTH. It is a factor in normal run and pass blocks. Also, it is used to determine if there will be a successful impact or cut block. It also affects how the defender will disengage.

Next question was about whether it is better to have a guy with good Footwork or Strength when looking for offensive linemen. Should you go for a guy that might be high in one and low in the other, or somebody that is even. The answer depends on who you are playing against. What rating used in a block attempt (Strength or Footwork) is determined by the defender. If the defender is using a Power Move, it will use the PBS, and RBS. If the defender is using a Finesse move, it will use PBF, and RBF. Since most people like to put speed guys on the outside or put linebackers in at end, I would probably go with linemen with higher footwork myself.

As for how it all works together, I really can’t say. It’s partially that I am not completely sure. The other part, is that it is all VERY tunable. Our gameplay guys are able tune the game so that different combinations can provide different results, to try to get it to work the best way possible.

I’ll leave off with a tip about looking at individual ratings. The jump from 89 to 90 for a rating is the most significant jump you can get. It is usually at this point that the elite version of the animations become available. For example, there is not much difference between a HB with Elusiveness 88 and 89. But, once the Elusiveness rating gets to 90, the HB will have access to more of the elite elusive animations for breaking tackles.

-Wisey105

Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
But there's so much to fix with this game. I can see why they have a hard time. Freeney, for example, is not a run stopper, so I can see not wanting to give him a higher shed rating. But he needs something that allows him to rush. But the AI and animations are not there either, so I'm not sure if it makes a difference.
What he needs is the moves ratings to have more impact and for the player to only do the moves he's good at - not this randomness that they do now.

Freeney isn't a bull rusher - he has poor PMV - so why does the game make him do a bull rush sometimes? He should always be doing spins and have a fast jump off the snap so he can use his speed as well.

I don't believe they need to drop ratings from Madden - all adding and dropping will do is just take them more time to get a system, stick with it, and then get it right.

They just need to use what they have and program the game engine to use them all correctly.

BSH should be for run blocks/downfield blocks

FMV/PWV should be for pass rushing and should be countered by PBF and PBS respectively.

RBS and RBF would be used depending on the blocking assignment of the OL. Firing out would be RBS - pulling and trapping and sweeps more RBF.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #38
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Freeney isn't a bull rusher - he has poor PMV - so why does the game make him do a bull rush sometimes? He should always be doing spins and have a fast jump off the snap so he can use his speed as well.
Freeney is so quick and so good at the spin, that he sometimes gets the LT off balance and the bull rush works great for him.

But that's all about momentum and leverage and that could just open up a whole new can....
Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #39
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

They just need to use what they have and program the game engine to use them all correctly.

BSH should be for run blocks/downfield blocks

FMV/PWV should be for pass rushing and should be countered by PBF and PBS respectively.

RBS and RBF would be used depending on the blocking assignment of the OL. Firing out would be RBS - pulling and trapping and sweeps more RBF.

Agree with this.

That's the only way to get players to really play as they do in real life.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 25

I HATE that there are SOOOO many 90++ ovr players in madden every year.....Last year was NO differant and after 3-4 years there were a few dozen 90++ ovr players....

Hate that...

Bit off topic, sorry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »