Home

Madden NFL 11: GameFlow & Game Planning Live Chat

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11: GameFlow & Game Planning Live Chat within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #25
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden NFL 11: GameFlow & Game Planning Live Chat

Formation subs always frustrated me, because the CPU couldn't or wouldn't use them. I despise things that I have access to that the CPU doesn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli
Yes, but Gameflow is supposed to be a good option for everyone. The videos emphasized that it wasn't "Noobflow" and could add depth for veteran sim gamers. Without substitutions, you have to make a choice OR you have to go back and forth between the different playcalling systems several times a game.

Sometimes I like to use a varied running attack. My faster back comes in for outside runs or 3 WR formations. If I have a FB who can run, I might go to a heavy package for short yardage. Sometimes my #1 WR goes in the slot or goes to the other side. Yadda yadda- the point is that Gameflow just became a non-feature, unless I want to stop making substitutions.

I don't buy the work-around they suggested in the live chat either. Let's say I'm using Gameflow. On 1st and 10, a random play is chosen from singleback normal. I'm happy with my default subs. On 3rd and 4, a random play is chosen from singleback normal. I want my 3rd down back subbed in and my #1 WR in the slot. How do I make this happen? By predicting the future and changing the formation before the computer picks the play?

Gameflow looks great. Alas, this implementation with no subs is awful. Yes, I can keep calling plays the old way and wait til next year (next next year?) for features that actually work well together. EA just needs to get a better content model- I'm happy to keep giving Blizzard $15/month, but I'm really questioning giving EA $60/year.
Exactly. Also Gameflow is supposed to cut the game time in half. Now I'm forced to play games in an hour because I can't deal with the no substitutions. Like root said, Gameflow just became a non-feature for me.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Formation subs always frustrated me, because the CPU couldn't or wouldn't use them. I despise things that I have access to that the CPU doesn't.
I wish they would tweak that so it wasn't an issue, but for special teams I gotta have that control - I don't want my starters wasting fatigue or risking injuries covering KOs

And the bigger issue is for head to head games where the opponent has full use of the same system, so now we go back to square one or don't use gameflow.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #28
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Well, well, well

I knew this was going to be nothing more than Ask Madden 2.0, but surprisingly, this chat was worst than I expected. The defense can only gameplan for 6 formations while the offense has 15+ situations it can gameplan for!!? Yeah, there's a little discrepancy there. I really have no idea why EA had this and the word hardcore in the same sentence. Did they really think hardcore fans would give up packages and subs for this? I don't wanna hear the word hardcore anymore when someone is talking about gameflow / gameplan. It's ask Madden 2.0.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 50

Some people say this is just an updated "Ask Madden." I actually think this idea is legit
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Chargers4Now
Some people say this is just an updated "Ask Madden." I actually think this idea is legit
Please explain HOW this is "legit" in your eyes? Perhaps you mean the IDEA is legit, but the execution is horrible...seems to happen EVERY time EA implements some new, groundbreaking, back of the box marketing idea.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #31
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

I can't let this go. ** Long rant time**

Why would EA even come out with this "feature"? It's so shallow it's ridiculous. I wasn't too high on the gameflow/gameplan idea in the first place, but somehow, even though I didn't have high expectations and even though the devs took some cake questions, this live chat disappointed me. I thought it was going to be a kinda goofy casual fan idea that I would try once or twice, but after reading that, I see no need to ever try it. Let's look at all the situations that may come up where I may have to leave my gameplan to call a play out of the playbook:

- If my QB or some valuable player get's hurt, I can't change my gameplan so I have to go to the playbook

- If I want to use a package or sub, I have to go to the playbook

- I'm sure after your defense gets gouged from teams running out of 3 and 4 WR you're going to have to go to the playbook

- If my gameplan isn't working, I can't switch gameplans, so I have to go to the playbook

- If I'm down late in a half, but the game doesn't feel the "urge" to go into a hurry up/2 min offense, I'm gonna have to go to the playbook

I'm sure I could sit here and think up all kinds of scenarios where you're going to have to go to the playbook, so why even bother with this? Just cut out the middle man and call your own plays lol.

I find it ironic that EA put this feature in to speed up games, but if you want to play sim ie using packages and subs, you could have longer games. Which do you think would take longer to do?

A. Find formation, sub player, enter formation, pick play.......

or

B. Click gameplan, find play that you want to use, back out of gameplan, go to choose play by formation, find formation, sub player, back out of formation, click gameplan, click on play you want to call.

Hmm, I'm not a genius but........I did stay in a Holiday Inn express last night. Seems to me it'll be shorter just to go to the formation you want to choose and pick a play, but what do I know.

Also, if you don't use gameflow, you can pick from up to 15 plays for a situation(offense) or formation( defense). Well, If I'm not mistaken, there aren't too many formations that have more than 15 plays in them now, especially on defense. How is this improving things? If you do use gameflow, you're at the mercy of the cpu randomly picking a play (with a little help from you, but it's still random).

I don't know how anyone can argue that this is not Ask madden 2.0. It's cool that it is. I'm not hating, but if you sprinkle nuts on yesterday's brownies and tell me they're fresh, I'm gonna tell you how I feel about it. That's essentially what EA has done. The Brownies being Ask Madden and the nuts being that you can choose which plays get randomly selected.

I'm gonna get away from that now though. What is going on in these live chats? It seems like half of the answers given have nothing to do with the questions. This is the 3rd live chat that I've seen and it's happened in everyone. For example:

Quote:
[Comment From cable_dawg602 cable_dawg602: ]
how long have you guys experienced on average to create a game plan from scratch? especially for online pick up games, how will this affect the speed to get a game started?
Wednesday May 5, 2010 4:50 cable_dawg602
4:52

Madden NFL Dev Team:
You can create multiple gameplans offline, and save them, before ever going into game, so you certainly don't need to create one before each game. You can just pick one of your already created gameplans as you go into game.
Wednesday May 5, 2010 4:52 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:53
WTF? This is what I'm talking about. This happens in every live chat multiple times. The last one ( the one before this one) was the worst though. Don't they screen these? If they don't want to answer the questions, then don't let them through. If they don't screen the questions well........naw they have to be screening them for all those cupcake questions to get through.

**sigh** I have sooooo much more that I want to get off my chest about this, but alas, I think I'll stop here. I think I'm skating on thin ice as it is. If I keep on, I'm pretty sure, I'm gonna fall in.

Last edited by splff3000; 05-06-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #32
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000

- If my QB or some valuable player get's hurt, I can't change my gameplan so I have to go to the playbook
If they are using "gameplanning/gameplans" in the context I think they are, this is actually pretty realistic.

Quote:
- If I want to use a package or sub, I have to go to the playbook
This is big for me. Huge turn-off. I sub a lot and use lots of different packages, so this could be a dealbreaker for me. I'll have to see how that workaround works, but I am skeptical.

Quote:
- I'm sure after your defense gets gouged from teams running out of 3 and 4 WR you're going to have to go to the playbook
I do see where they were going with this. Defense call plays and substitute to match offensive personel, I think they are attempting to replicate this. How well it's implemented we'll have to see. But I actually see the logic here, if they are trying to replicate true NFL substitution/play calling tendencies.

Quote:
- If my gameplan isn't working, I can't switch gameplans, so I have to go to the playbook
Again if they are using gameplans in the context of actual gameplans like teams in the league do with installed plays and all that, then this is pretty accurate. Teams don't change their gameplan mid game. You can only install so many plays and prepare so many plays for your opponent in a given week. If it's done like I think it is, this is pretty accurate in depicting NFL playcalling.

Quote:
- If I'm down late in a half, but the game doesn't feel the "urge" to go into a hurry up/2 min offense, I'm gonna have to go to the playbook
I missed this piece of it. But that like subs sounds like a bummer.

Quote:
I find it ironic that EA put this feature in to speed up games, but if you want to play sim ie using packages and subs, you could have longer games. Which do you think would take longer to do?

A. Find formation, sub player, enter formation, pick play.......

or

B. Click gameplan, find play that you want to use, back out of gameplan, go to choose play by formation, find formation, sub player, back out of formation, click gameplan, click on play you want to call.

Hmm, I'm not a genius but........I did stay in a Holiday Inn express last night. Seems to me it'll be shorter just to go to the formation you want to choose and pick a play, but what do I know.

Also, if you don't use gameflow, you can pick from up to 15 plays for a situation(offense) or formation( defense). Well, If I'm not mistaken, there aren't too many formations that have more than 15 plays in them now, especially on defense. How is this improving things? If you do use gameflow, you're at the mercy of the cpu randomly picking a play (with a little help from you, but it's still random).

I don't know how anyone can argue that this is not Ask madden 2.0. It's cool that it is. I'm not hating, but if you sprinkle nuts on yesterday's brownies and tell me they're fresh, I'm gonna tell you how I feel about it. That's essentially what EA has done. The Brownies being Ask Madden and the nuts being that you can choose which plays get randomly selected.
I don't see how we can make final conclusions till we actually get our hands on it. Maybe it's just me, but I like to pass judgement on things like these after I have personal experience with them.

Will it be lame, or will it be a nice feature? Time will tell. I do like the direction they are taking this in theory, but will have to wait to see how well it's executed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »